R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #1861
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscountRCStore View Post
.. Our testing over the last couple weeks was positive using both the wider rear track width and the 4 braces from about med-high traction on up. The car stays free and consistent through the corner on high grip. This week will be the test.
I assume you mean running a 1mm spacer on the rear hubs to widen the track.

Had another good night at Logan, taking another second off my PB, and a tenth of my best fastest lap. Struggled a bit with rear rotation, and felt the car was better balanced last meeting, but still quicker... now less than a tenth off of an elusive 18s lap (with an 18.5 being the lap record I believe). Next time out will try going back to the 2000wt diff oil, and also try going to harder rear oil to help make it rotate faster. Also want to try moving the shell forward to help with high-speed steering as well.

Also tried out a fix to solve the leaking diff cases I've been experiencing, using a third o-ring, and applying some heavy greese around them. Actually turned out to work really well, with next to no spray out from the centre of the casing. Still waiting on the Kyosho O-rings for the outdrives, but hopefully shouldn't be too long

Cheers
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher Mi5-ec-logan25jan14.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #1862
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post

Had another good night at Logan, taking another second off my PB, and a tenth of my best fastest lap. Struggled a bit with rear rotation, and felt the car was better balanced last meeting, but still quicker... now less than a tenth off of an elusive 18s lap (with an 18.5 being the lap record I believe). Next time out will try going back to the 2000wt diff oil, and also try going to harder rear oil to help make it rotate faster. Also want to try moving the shell forward to help with high-speed steering as well.

Also tried out a fix to solve the leaking diff cases I've been experiencing, using a third o-ring, and applying some heavy greese around them. Actually turned out to work really well, with next to no spray out from the centre of the casing. Still waiting on the Kyosho O-rings for the outdrives, but hopefully shouldn't be too long

Cheers
Ed
Three o-ring in the diff made mine stop leaking

Could see on your setup sheet, that you are using double o-rings on your shocks. Did you then remove the white spacer, and installed a extra o-ring instead ?
Does it work, so they don't leak ?
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #1863
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ed,

I see you have changed your ackermann rack into a "8mm center ball rack" Do you have some pics? What's the difference between the kit rack?

Best Regards Robert
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #1864
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Nice find, I broke one last year and couldn't find any replacement parts listed. What section did you find them under?
the mi5 "Speed Secret - Option Parts".
but are they stronger?
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #1865
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Fairly sure they'll be exactly the same bones. They weren't available separately until very recently.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #1866
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
.. We've actually developed a set of rear hexes along with using a thinner (3 vs 4mm) inner bearing.. allows us to widen the rear of the car about 4.5mm (2.25 per side).. making it nearly the same width as the front. Very stable and quick now through high speed chicanes and sweeping corners.. both cars are fitted with them in the pic..

..p

---> Like us on Facebook!
DiscountRCStore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #1867
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock Tower View Post
Three o-ring in the diff made mine stop leaking

Could see on your setup sheet, that you are using double o-rings on your shocks. Did you then remove the white spacer, and installed a extra o-ring instead ?
Does it work, so they don't leak ?
I find the car has better traction with double o-ring shocks, so always build my shocks this way now. You do need to remove the plastic spacer, and actually add some thin 4mm diameter washer as well. I've found about 0.4mm seems to work well in terms of total thickness, when using the Tamiya blue o-rings (again personal preference).
I would say that if your using just a single O-ring, I would still add some shims in at the same time, especially if the shocks are leaking from the bottom. The blue o-rings give much less friction, but also don't quite seal against the shafts as well, hence the leaking. Adding some shims puts a little bit more pressure on the o-ring, and helps it seal better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
Ed,

I see you have changed your ackermann rack into a "8mm center ball rack" Do you have some pics? What's the difference between the kit rack?

Best Regards Robert
Hey Robert,

Picture of the rack is attached below. The centre ball setup helps to improve the ackerman (especially when used with different Ackerman plates) and also helps the front to roll a little better, as the links don't bind up as much when the suspension is compressed whilst turning. I should add these are custom made parts, not sure if Schuey will be releasing their own version any time soon or not.

HiH
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher Mi5-image.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #1868
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
I find the car has better traction with double o-ring shocks, so always build my shocks this way now. You do need to remove the plastic spacer, and actually add some thin 4mm diameter washer as well. I've found about 0.4mm seems to work well in terms of total thickness, when using the Tamiya blue o-rings (again personal preference).
I would say that if your using just a single O-ring, I would still add some shims in at the same time, especially if the shocks are leaking from the bottom. The blue o-rings give much less friction, but also don't quite seal against the shafts as well, hence the leaking. Adding some shims puts a little bit more pressure on the o-ring, and helps it seal better.

Hey Robert,

Picture of the rack is attached below. The centre ball setup helps to improve the ackerman (especially when used with different Ackerman plates) and also helps the front to roll a little better, as the links don't bind up as much when the suspension is compressed whilst turning. I should add these are custom made parts, not sure if Schuey will be releasing their own version any time soon or not.

HiH
Ed
-in regards to double orings
removng the plastic shock shaft guidance could cause the shaft to rub the bottom metal shock cap no?
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #1869
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by poochy View Post
-in regards to double orings
removng the plastic shock shaft guidance could cause the shaft to rub the bottom metal shock cap no?
You only remove the thicker spacer, and substitute it with another o-ring. The bottom plastic guide still stays in place, so the shaft doesn't hit the shock cap.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #1870
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I tried a similar thing, with 8.5 mm distance between pivots. But in my case I was able to make the holes only in the centre of the rack, so the Ackerman was about 1.5 mm toward the centre of the car

On carpet the car is more responsive, I was able to push harder through the corners, I think it's a major change!

All together with lowered shock towers:
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher Mi5-img-20140115-wa0010.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-img-20140109-wa0004.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #1871
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Guys.

That rack with center balls is a nice thing to think about.

Regards Robert
Old 01-29-2014, 05:20 AM   #1872
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default Race package

SCHUMACHER MI5 RACE ROLLER PLUS NEW PARTS CAR
Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #1873
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
What are you going to?
Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #1874
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
You only remove the thicker spacer, and substitute it with another o-ring. The bottom plastic guide still stays in place, so the shaft doesn't hit the shock cap.
Ed,
You have PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #1875
Tech Regular

Hi guys.
How do you balance you Mi5 from side to side.
I think that using spikes in under the chassie in front and rear is the normal way, but where do you get such 'spikes' and in wich holes are you using for the job ?
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote