Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:04 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cgroves
Does anyone know where to get 1/8" or 3.2mm x .1mm shims to tighten up the play on the front pivot pin?

Anybody making an bushing or insert to replace the king pin bearings to tighten up the front end?
Motor shims for the brushed motors work well and can be found in different thicknesses too.....Reedy, Trinity, etc. Found them on Ebay for $1/pk.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cgroves
Does anyone know where to get 1/8" or 3.2mm x .1mm shims to tighten up the play on the front pivot pin?

Anybody making an bushing or insert to replace the king pin bearings to tighten up the front end?
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/New_Ca...Mi1/U4351.html
here you go
Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dvsstrike
Whoops, missed that one right on the Schumacher site. Those will work perfectly.

Now I just need to get rid of the "dyna-caster" movement in the caster block bearings.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey Schumacher drivers, I'm weighing my options for a new car to race in the 17.5 blinky class at my local track. I love the design of the Mi5 and have spent a few hours combing through the forum as well as looking at online reviews. Only possible concern is that my local track is a medium to high bite, indoor carpet course and that the Mi5 might be a handful in this kind of situation. What does it take to make it work in these kinds of conditions? The stiffer top deck? Very conservative application of traction compound? A neutral handling body like a Bittydesign MC10? I wasn't at IIC in 2013, but I heard through the grapevine that a lot of the MI5s experienced traction/grip roll. Any truth to that?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Colbynobo
Hey Schumacher drivers, I'm weighing my options for a new car to race in the 17.5 blinky class at my local track. I love the design of the Mi5 and have spent a few hours combing through the forum as well as looking at online reviews. Only possible concern is that my local track is a medium to high bite, indoor carpet course and that the Mi5 might be a handful in this kind of situation. What does it take to make it work in these kinds of conditions? The stiffer top deck? Very conservative application of traction compound? A neutral handling body like a Bittydesign MC10? I wasn't at IIC in 2013, but I heard through the grapevine that a lot of the MI5s experienced traction/grip roll. Any truth to that?
I run in my club's 17.5 blink sedan class and my local track is rather small and technical. I set my Mi5 up as per the manual but added the mid-motor conversion kit from the start as I read it worked better for my type of track. The V2 steering knuckles and V2 longer kingpins would be worth adding as well. I run Sorex 28R pre-mount tires as we use these as spec tires locally. My FDR is around 3.5 and my car is competitive.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default OPTIONS

Hi guys. Here is my Mi5. Im showing my Wild-Thing rear A-arm brace used in the rear of the front arms. It really locks the front down. NO modification needed....... I used 2 shims (one rotor shim and one .010" steel shim) under the brace to allow the suspension to operate correctly. the shims must be no larger than the trinity style brass rotor shims otherwise the suspension will lock. I have roughly .010" between the steering rack and the brace. I could raise the brace up slightly but it's fine for the slight flex the chassis gives. I am also using the U4398 stiff weave chassis and both included rear braces. The car is rear motor config with an extra top rail brace #u4282. It's super stiff and testing will commence tonight or tomorrow.
(It may look like the suspension is locked but I used droop screw to show the arm almost full upward travel)
CHEERS

Old 01-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

i would start with the std box carpet setup and 2.5 toe in the rear. the car has alot of rear traction out of the box, 2.5 toe helps the rotation in the rear, without removing too much traction.
All the time when i try things its always ends up with box setup, minus 2.5 toe in the rear, the car is really nice and easy to drive! (17.5 blinky)

have tried a mid motor car a couple of times, its faster through tight corners, but has alot more rear traction so is hard to drive fast in faster sections of the track. might be a good option for tight low traction asphalt tracks.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Rookie

i am looking for a hard foam bumper (like the t3/t4 hard foam bumper) does anyone know what material it is made from? i would like to make a wider one for my mi5

cheers
Old 01-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bappe
i would start with the std box carpet setup and 2.5 toe in the rear. the car has alot of rear traction out of the box, 2.5 toe helps the rotation in the rear, without removing too much traction.
All the time when i try things its always ends up with box setup, minus 2.5 toe in the rear, the car is really nice and easy to drive! (17.5 blinky)

have tried a mid motor car a couple of times, its faster through tight corners, but has alot more rear traction so is hard to drive fast in faster sections of the track. might be a good option for tight low traction asphalt tracks.
Cool. I like the idea of something with a lot of rear traction. If I do go through with one of these, though, I'll skip the mid-motor until I've had a chance to adequately acquaint myself with the the standard motor configuration.

Now, I'm just going to go check a number of the online hobby stores to see what their Mi5 parts availability looks like.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Colbynobo
Cool. I like the idea of something with a lot of rear traction. If I do go through with one of these, though, I'll skip the mid-motor until I've had a chance to adequately acquaint myself with the the standard motor configuration.

Now, I'm just going to go check a number of the online hobby stores to see what their Mi5 parts availability looks like.
DiscountRCStore.com

Talk to Phil for all your needs!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiefj48
DiscountRCStore.com

Talk to Phil for all your needs!!!
PHIL WILL TAKE OF ALL YOUR NEEDS FOR THE MI5.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by micksid
i am looking for a hard foam bumper (like the t3/t4 hard foam bumper) does anyone know what material it is made from? i would like to make a wider one for my mi5

cheers
Parma sells a block of hard foam bumper material, it's a lot thicker than the stock bumper though. I cut one and added spacers to use it full thickness.
Parma / PSE ultimate bumper on Amain for $8.25 PAR8025.

Last edited by Mopar; 01-17-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

cheers
All bumpers are made from a Polyethylen foam, but in different densities. You can't tell just by looking at it, wich density it is, so it is measurement by special equipment, ore trying to tell by experiance. The bumper to the mi5 is also in Polyethylen, but softer than I have experianced before on other cars. I am working in a company there has all sorts of foam, and I am thinking of making a new one (bigger and harder),

I will post what I find out soon. Mayby I can make a couple extras.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Those foam are cheap in taiwan, just walk into a store and choose it . A4 size for like 4usd which is retail price. Thr hard part is to cut it accurately

The foam on mi5 is nice . Dont go too hard. Else impact will not be absorbed but transfer to chassis and bulkhead
Old 01-18-2014, 08:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

cheers
..We have looked into having these done.. We do have someone that will make them however, we've not been able to gauge whether there was enough interest to justify them.. We can get them in in smaller quantities of 30 pieces with a retail cost of about $15 each.. They're about 1mm thicker than the stock ones with similar dimensions.. similar to the P-Dub's for those who remember them.. chime in if you're interested and let us know..

..p

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.