R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #1801
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsbell View Post
The spring clip keeps coming off all the time and loosing the pin.My solution was to put heat shrink over the joints.Works fine.
I installed mine the way they shipped and have had zero issues for many months!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #1802
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Sounds smart!!,

Quote:
The spring clip keeps coming off all the time and loosing the pin.My solution was to put heat shrink over the joints.Works fine.

Can u post a pic?
igetbombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #1803
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Wonder if the folks having problems with the clip run fast motors and open tracks maybe? I run 17.5 and it's a small technical track. Top speed is always under 30mph. Curious for those having problems what turn motor and what kind of track/top-speed?
igetbombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #1804
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been running my car for many months now, still on my original set of DCJ's, original pins/clips, and never had one pop off. And that's running 4.5t too, on pretty open tracks.

You do really need to care with the pins mind, don't over stretch them to get them off, and make sure they are fully seated in the groove when putting back onto the car.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #1805
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Phil would you post your setup that you ended up with at the IIC high traction.That will give us MI5 guys a place to start.
.. Page 102, post #1524 is where I ended however we've worked on some things and have really improved the car since then especially for high traction.. give me a couple days and I'll post where we're at.. or you can give me a call..

..p

---> Like us on Facebook!
DiscountRCStore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #1806
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 6 hubs and Anti-dive theory...

Been a reasonably quiet Christmas, with no racing on, so time to sit back and chill... that was until this week, and then got the chance to race twice in a few days, both at the Logan track.

Wednesday night, wanted to work through a few things from before, more than anything to check previous changes, and get reatuned with the Logan track. Last time out at this track, car was good, but a little taily on power out of the tighter turns. Also seemed to lack a little corner speed, but I think I had resolved that by upping the shock oil last time out at Wynnum, but still needed to check this change was suitable at Logan.

The track wasn't overly grippy to start out, and pretty much getting on power was proving difficult whilst using the 3K rear diff. Switching to 2K helped make the car much easier to drive, and also going to hole 4 on the shock tower (one in from the outside) helped with the lower grip level, and improve the consistency. With the car more settled, I wanted to try out a setting I've some other cars utilise a little, using 6deg Castor blocks in combination with anti-dive.

In theory, the extra castor should give the car more mid-exit steering, but at the expense of initial. So to compensate, adding anti-dive will take away a little castor, whilst also giving the added benefit of more stability on the brakes. So the two settings go hand in hand really

It was a little difficult to tell with the track being lower grip, but I liked the feel of this change, although times were similar. Decided to then try it again on the saturday when I would have a better read of the track times.

Having been happy with how the car was working on Wed in the lower grip, I switched back to the 4deg hubs/flat arms to start out with on Sat. Car worked straight off the bat, putting in mid-high 19s laps without issue, even on three meeting old tyres. Only change needed was to lay the shocks down to the middle hole to help with the freeing up the rear end. The thicker shock oil (see above) really helped out as well, really helping the car to carry speed round the turns, but also remaining stable and driveable... 500wt F&R is now my starting oil!

First qualifier, and finally managed to break the 16 lap barrier... and comfortably so as well. Previous best for a perfect run had been 15 in 5:00.2, and this was a far from perfect run with a roll and a few more errors. Pretty stunned, as I improved my best lap by over half a second to a 19.1
In the second qualifier, switched the front end to the 6deg/anti-dive setup. Fastest lap was a little slower, but still improved on overall by a 1s, even with a few mistakes again. Deffiently felt like the car was holding the middle of the corners better, whilst also allowing to be braked harder into the turns. Initial reaction wasn't quite the same, but car was still pretty good on the tighter sections. Ended up qualifying third on the grid, albeit a lot closer to the two front guys than in recent times.
First final, made a small adjustment to the bump steer spacers, going from a 2mm to 1.5mm shim, flattening the steering links a little. Again, added a little mid-corner, and helped to sharpen the front a bit more. Also tried out a different additive which I liked... will need to try that out again next time out. Managed to hang with the front two for a few minutes, and then was forced off line by a back marker and lost my rhythm.. ended up holding onto third, but overall happy with the changes made.
Last final, having had a discussion on the Aussie Mi5 Racers Whatsapp group (yes, we have one ), decided to give softer front oil a try to see if I could gain any more steering. Thankfully my second car has shocks with 450 in them, so just popped them off and away I went. Honestly have to say, didn't really like this change. Seemed to make the car a little inconsistent on the front, and also outside observers mentioned that it looked like the car was taking two bites to get to the apex. Maybe going to 550 rear would have been a better option, but something to try later on.

After the finals, had one more quick run to make sure my batts were at storage voltage (obviously ), and went back to the 500 front oil, and changed the front outer camberlink spacer to 1.5mm from 1mm, trying to give the front tyres a bit more camber change... Straight away double bite issue was gone, and the car felt really good all over. One section of the track I had been really struggling with in recent times was getting enough rotation through a tight hairpin onto the back straight. I'd normally end up with the rear stepping out, or the front washing wide... not this time, was point and go.

Pretty much a very pleasing evening, can honestly say that was the best I've had my car go at this track, and now feel like I've got the car working really well at both local tracks in the area, with a solid base setting, and knowing what to alter to get what I want from the car.

Final setup attached.

Cheers
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher Mi5-ec-logan-11jan14.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #1807
Tech Regular

I raced my Mi5 this weekend at the DHI-Cup in Denmark. All the big stars was attending this race in modified, Volker, reinhard, Fischer etc.
I raced in 13.5T blinky with the Mi5, and it was super nice. Very easy to drive on the high grip carpet, with a long straight, and some good sweeps. Used most of the Martin Hofer standard setup, and had the Wildthing rearbrace and shock mounts as extras.
It is just a wonderful car to race.
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #1808
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there some of you who had problems with a leaking shock ?
And what did you do to cure this ?

I never had this problem with the previous Schumy car (Mi2,Mi3,Mi4...)
mymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #1809
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymax View Post

Yes. The stock orings leak. Use Reflex Racing orings instead.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #1810
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
Yes. The stock orings leak. Use Reflex Racing orings instead.
Thanks..

Are these are the right one ?
http://www.reflexracing.net/RSD-3mm-...cs_p_1208.html
Old 01-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #1811
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks..

Are these are the right one ?
http://www.reflexracing.net/RSD-3mm-...cs_p_1208.html

Yes, those are the correct ones..

.. p

---> Like us on Facebook!
DiscountRCStore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #1812
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Few parts for sale.Interest look here FS. Schumacher Mi5 parts news in packages

WWW.SPEEDLINEHOBBY.COM "A HOBBY STORE FOR RC RACERS"
IVAN RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #1813
Tech Elite

Quote:

Like Phil mentioned those are the ones you want. You will be really happy with them. I would also recommend to run the cut down shafts with a 1mm vent hole drilled into the plastic cap. I top them off with Yokomo springs and the Wild Thing shock mounts and they are money!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #1814
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscountRCStore View Post
Yes, those are the correct ones..

.. p
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
Like Phil mentioned those are the ones you want. You will be really happy with them. I would also recommend to run the cut down shafts with a 1mm vent hole drilled into the plastic cap. I top them off with Yokomo springs and the Wild Thing shock mounts and they are money!
I already have the yokomo spring but i didn't cut the shaft. Surprisingly i have great results with the box setup with Yokomo spring..
At the last race i made the A main but i need to cut .2sec by lap to play with the 2 fastest guys at my track.
Thank for the tips
Old 01-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #1815
Tech Adept

Default Front slop shims & solutions

Does anyone know where to get 1/8" or 3.2mm x .1mm shims to tighten up the play on the front pivot pin?

Anybody making an bushing or insert to replace the king pin bearings to tighten up the front end?