Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KBRacing
Hi All,

Is just changed from Serpent S411 Eryx for Schumacher MI5 and have a few questions regarding the setup for my New MI5.
Had an idea to run it as Mid motor on carpet with rubber tires (Sorex 28), but do not know if it's a good idea, the other thing is the 2.0 chassis is something you need on the carpet, and if are other things I should try or do .....
I'm running my Mi5 on carpet with Sorex 28R tires and I set mine up with the mod-motor from the very start. I'm still using the kit green springs, shock oil and diff fluid and have no issues. The car is fast and handles great. The only draw back is that it's not easy to mount a motor cooling fan.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KBRacing
Hi All,

Is just changed from Serpent S411 Eryx for Schumacher MI5 and have a few questions regarding the setup for my New MI5.
Had an idea to run it as Mid motor on carpet with rubber tires (Sorex 28), but do not know if it's a good idea, the other thing is the 2.0 chassis is something you need on the carpet, and if are other things I should try or do .....
I have used the stock chassis, and the new stiffer chassis, and I prefer the 2.0 chassis. besides it comes with the new rear braces, and I wouldn't run the car without them.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:41 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waswadener
For people experiencing traction rolling issues:

I had good results with Yokomo Pink and Blue springs, CA-ing the front tires' sidewalls, running 0 degrees front camber and -0.5 degrees rear camber. This worked very well on a smooth, medium / high grip CRC carpet track.

Next week I'll be running the same car on a (very) bumpy, high grip CRC carpet track. Hopefully these things will also work in those conditions. I'll let everybody know how that goes.

Bill S.
Good tips Bill
Im running the Med motor set up..so far no traction rolling... with the set up the car react very quickly in the s section.. btw running with stock chassis

Last edited by OVA; 12-07-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Here's a quick shot of my build. Nothing too special. Can't wait to turn some laps!
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-image.jpg  
Old 12-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the hints and tips, looking forward to trying out the MI5 next weekend
Old 12-07-2013, 04:03 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Here's a quick shot of my build. Nothing too special. Can't wait to turn some laps!
it look good..what classes are you running ?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Mi5

My setup ready to race Sunday!

Option Parts...

Spec R Dcj's
Wild Thing Shock Mounts
Jet Hobbies Top Deck Mounts and Braces
Purple Hardware from Pitbox Hobbies
Yokomo Springs
Reflex Racing Shock O Rings
Xray Super Stiff Saver
Schumacher Bleeder Caps
4x14 Kingpin Screw Mod
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-dsc02876.jpg  

Last edited by haywood; 12-07-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OVA
it look good..what classes are you running ?
Stock TC Franko.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by haywood
My setup ready to race Sunday!

Option Parts...

Spec R Dcj's
Wild Thing Shock Mounts
Jet Hobbies Top Deck Mounts and Braces
Purple Hardware from Pitbox Hobbies
Yokomo Springs
Reflex Racing Shock O Rings
Xray Super Stiff Saver
Schumacher Bleeder Caps
4x14 Kingpin Screw Mod

Looks nice.
If possible, could you measure your Schumacher Bleeder Caps inside, where they are surposed to be mounted on the shock mounts.

The Reflex Racing O rings, are that for smoother action, or to have less leak ?
Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
Looks nice.
If possible, could you measure your Schumacher Bleeder Caps inside, where they are surposed to be mounted on the shock mounts.

The Reflex Racing O rings, are that for smoother action, or to have less leak ?
Illl measure those later and let u know... The O rings are smooth but don't leak like the stock ones.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by haywood
Illl measure those later and let u know... The O rings are smooth but don't leak like the stock ones.
Fitted tamiya x ring o rings on my mi5,seem better after a good 4 months in the car
Old 12-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Some where on all these posts some one posted a shock shaft about 3mm shorter but I cant find it.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtsbell
Some where on all these posts some one posted a shock shaft about 3mm shorter but I cant find it.
it was a 28mm shock shaft for hot bodies tcx i have them in my car they work perfect !!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Mid vs Rear

So, as mentioned before, this weekend I wanted to test the mid-motor car versus the rear motor version, now that I have two cars.

Anyway, before I get into it, bare in mind the following;
1) I only race modified, so everything I test is for this class.
2) Given it's summer down here, it's outdoor asphalt.. actually, make that outdoor asphalt all year round

With that in mind, first run I went out with my rear motor car, having put a setup on it that I knew would be pretty decent, if not my usual full-on Bayside setup (more than anything so I could test both cars with the same setup). Car was as expected really, decent balance, with a bit of entry and exit push.

Second run, pulled the tyres off the rear car, and bolted them onto the mid. Initial impression was "Where's the steering?!". Seemed to lack initial turning, and also then push on the way out. Had to adjust my driving to take this into account, although cornerspeed did feel a bit quicker...once it got into the turn.

Third run was back to the rear car again, this time putting an LTC shell on over the Speed6 I ran first time. Car was now better, more positive steering, and overall pretty decent. Fastest lap was down to a 17.2.

Fourth run, back to the mid again, albeit with the LTC as well. It was noticeable how much more lock I was having to put into the car to get it to turn in the first, high speed turn, and also having to brake the car more to get it into the hairpins. Couldn't hussle the car, really had to flow it to get the fastest out of it. Fastest lap came in at a 17.4.

Off that, decided to stick with the rear car for the rest of the meeting, which by the end of the night I had improved down to a 16.9, but there was more speed left in it for sure.

With a bit of reflection on the mid setup, those runs pretty much say to me that the guy does need a different setup philosophy to the rear car, which isn't really a surprise given the different weight distribution. Given more time with it, I would start by looking at the shock positions and then roll bars, but I do suspect that the mid setup will struggle to give the level of steering that mod needs. I do think also that with the extra cornerspeed, it could be good in stock, especially the higher wind (21.5 etc) classes, as long as the steering can be gained. So I wouldn't rule it out completely, but it's one of those things that I think each person would need to test and see if it suits them. A nice option to have, but for now at least I'll be putting my second car back to rear motor.

As for the rest of the night, seemed to loose the handle a little on the other car, although in all honesty I should have bolted on a new set of tyres, as the set I was using was past their best by the end of the night. Made a couple of changes now that seemed to help, and am starting to prefer 2K rear diff oil over the 3K I had been using. Also played around a bit with springs and roll-centres, and tested out a theory that I have tried before at this track.
Ended up running Ride Blue springs, as the Schumacher Greens made the car too nervous over the bumps. However, whilst the Blues feel similar on the bench, on track they behave a bit softer, with the car losing some cornerspeed as a result. To gain that back, lowered all the inner camber links 1mm, which worked very well to give back the reaction and cornerspeed of the Schuey Greens, whilst also better control over the bumps.. win-win

Reasonably happy with the night, improved the car in the finals, but still a bit far off on pace... more testing needed at that track, although it's on the right path.

Latest rear motor setup attached.
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-ec-baysidecup-07dec13.jpg  

Last edited by TryHard; 12-09-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TryHard
So, as mentioned before, this weekend I wanted to test the mid-motor car versus the rear motor version, now that I have two cars.

Anyway, before I get into it, bare in mind the following;
1) I only race modified, so everything I test is for this class.
2) Given it's summer down here, it's outdoor asphalt.. actually, make that outdoor asphalt all year round

With that in mind, first run I went out with my rear motor car, having put a setup on it that I knew would be pretty decent, if not my usual full-on Bayside setup (more than anything so I could test both cars with the same setup). Car was as expected really, decent balance, with a bit of entry and exit push.

Second run, pulled the tyres off the rear car, and bolted them onto the mid. Initial impression was "Where's the steering?!". Seemed to lack initial turning, and also then push on the way out. Had to adjust my driving to take this into account, although cornerspeed did feel a bit quicker...once it got into the turn.

Third run was back to the rear car again, this time putting an LTC shell on over the Speed6 I ran first time. Car was now better, more positive steering, and overall pretty decent. Fastest lap was down to a 17.2.

Fourth run, back to the mid again, albeit with the LTC as well. It was noticeable how much more lock I was having to put into the car to get it to turn in the first, high speed turn, and also having to brake the car more to get it into the hairpins. Couldn't hussle the car, really had to flow it to get the fastest out of it. Fastest lap came in at a 17.4.

Off that, decided to stick with the rear car for the rest of the meeting, which by the end of the night I had improved down to a 16.9, but there was more speed left in it for sure.

With a bit of reflection on the mid setup, those runs pretty much say to me that the guy does need a different setup philosophy to the rear car, which isn't really a surprise given the different weight distribution. Given more time with it, I would start by looking at the shock positions and then roll bars, but I do suspect that the mid setup will struggle to give the level of steering that mod needs. I do think also that with the extra cornerspeed, it could be good in stock, especially the higher wind (21.5 etc) classes, as long as the steering can be gained. So I wouldn't rule it out completely, but it's one of those things that I think each person would need to test and see if it suits them. A nice option to have, but for now at least I'll be putting my second car back to rear motor.

As for the rest of the night, seemed to loose the handle a little on the other car, although in all honesty I should have bolted on a new set of tyres, as the set I was using was past their best by the end of the night. Made a couple of changes now that seemed to help, and am starting to prefer 2K rear diff oil over the 3K I had been using. Also played around a bit with springs and roll-centres, and tested out a theory that I have tried before at this track.
Ended up running Ride Blue springs, as the Schumacher Greens made the car too nervous over the bumps. However, whilst the Blues feel similar on the bench, on track they behave a bit softer, with the car losing some cornerspeed as a result. To gain that back, lowered all the inner camber links 1mm, which worked very well to give back the reaction and cornerspeed of the Schuey Greens, whilst also better control over the bumps.. win-win

Reasonably happy with the night, improved the car in the finals, but still a bit far off on pace... more testing needed at that track, although it's on the right path.

Latest rear motor setup attached.
Originally I wanted to get the mid motor setup right away on my Mi5 but I was worried about losing turn in so I never did buy the conversion kit. I thought it might handle more like an FWD car which resist changes in direction - the front end does anyway. Thanks for the mid motor testing report.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.