Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

My car is driving me nuts with traction roll, particularly through one corner. I am trying everything, softening, stiffening, roll centers up and down, sway bars, rear motor, mid motor, battery position, it just won't go away.

I have had to change my lines to be more gentle on the turn to try and keep the car flat which is costing time, even then it still lifts an inside rear wheel.

Is there something I am missing that could be causing an issue?

On another note:

I need to get a new motor for next season, what is the best one for a tight carpet track?

I am currently running an LRP X20 6.5 with a Tekin RS set to blinky.

LRP, Orca, GM, Speedpassion whats the difference with them all?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pinion King
My car is driving me nuts with traction roll, particularly through one corner. I am trying everything, softening, stiffening, roll centers up and down, sway bars, rear motor, mid motor, battery position, it just won't go away.

I have had to change my lines to be more gentle on the turn to try and keep the car flat which is costing time, even then it still lifts an inside rear wheel.

On another note:

I need to get a new motor for next season, what is the best one for a tight carpet track?

Where abouts in the turn is the car traction rolling? As that will help to pinpoint what you need to alter to help reduce it/get rid of it.

If it's on entry, it's mostly likely that the car is too reactive, and in effect, tripping up over the outside front going into the turn. In which case, making the car softer, and more numb helps (softer springs, lower roll centre).

If it's in the middle of the turn, then its more likely the car is too soft, and rolling so much that it tips up and over. In this case, stiffer to stop the rolling will help.

Other things to try anyway are;
Reduce droop (specifically the rear), taking away steering should help
Glue the outside wall of the front tyres (and check all gluing to make sure no tyre is rolling under itself)
Run more steering expo, making the car less reactive in the straight ahead.
Heavier rear shock oil, again helps to reduce how quickly the front of the car moves.
Lower your ride-height, if you can that is.

Could also try a front gear diff as well, as this will smooth the car out through the whole turn.

Sometimes though, there are cases where you just have to drive round it, as to get rid of traction rolling completely means the car is a dog elsewhere... had that a few times, and it does make for an interesting experience!!

HiH
Ed
Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

.. Maybe shocks are packing up too quickly..?

..p
Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 PM
pbr
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Take the shims out from a arms and widen front end how much camber ? Ride hight ?
Old 11-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

I know what you mean TryHard, I had success at getting rid of it a few weeks back, but it made the car roll on every slow corner. It was great through all the fast stuff, so had to go back.

Car is rolling on corner entry.

The tire gluing helped, but it still wants to go over.

I've got the car running as low as I can, track restrictions mean I can't go lower then 5mm, so sitting at 5.5mm.

-2 camber all round.

Already have a gear diff in.

Front is running heavier oil and 1 grade spring harder then rear.

@DiscountRCStore not sure what you mean by shocks packing up too quickly.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know what you mean TryHard, I had success at getting rid of it a few weeks back, but it made the car roll on every slow corner. It was great through all the fast stuff, so had to go back.

I've got the car running as low as I can, track restrictions mean I can't go lower then 5mm, so sitting at 5.5mm.

-2 camber all round.

What springs and so on are you running? having a look at the rest of the setup we can probably advise better.

Having said that, what you mention about running stiff spring and heavier oil on the front would suggest that the car is maybe too reactive, especially if it's going over going into the turn.

Running less rear droop should help in that situation, along with trying going to the same rear oil.

Still would be good to look at the rest of the setup.

What DiscountRCStore (Phil ) means by the shock packing up too much is that it is too resistant to the inital shock movement, i.e, the bit where the oil starts to flow through the piston. It takes too much force for piston to move. This would be related to oil weight (possible the front oil is too heavy), and piston hole size. Small piston holes = more resistance to flow = more pack.

HiH
Ed
Old 11-29-2013, 03:55 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On another note:

Are you running the standard MI5 chassis or the newer stiffer version?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Attached is setup sheet.

Haven't had a chance to measure my droops, they are about even front and rear, front might have just a little bit more.
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-2013-11-29-dale.jpg  
Old 11-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

-2 camber all round.

Too much front camber. Start with zero and slowly increase in .5 deg intervals.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:40 AM
CA
Tech Apprentice

Attached is setup sheet.

Haven't had a chance to measure my droops, they are about even front and rear, front might have just a little bit more.
Stand the rear shock up.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Attached is setup sheet.

please let us know if limiting rear droop helps, try zero or 1mm "uptravel" to start-im curious if it works
Old 11-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

poochy, when you going to come race on the rug with us???
Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher
poochy, when you going to come race on the rug with us???
waz up teach? we might come out next sat.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Pinion king, for my money, your camber change balence front to rear looks so far wrong. Looks like you will have the rear camber link flat, or even a touch higher on inner. The front on the other hand must have a pretty big angle in it. With a sorex 24 tyre, and tyre Warmers that's going to be crazy aggressive on turn in I would think.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Traction rolling..
1.25 to 1.5 front camber usually does the trick.

when just plain out of options....just put a little CA on the outer wall of the tire...super light...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.