R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #1501
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am running in medium to low traction track today, tight course with ground temp over 50C and air temp 30 C plus strong gust, any suggestions on setup and tire ? We run Sorex here.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #1502
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker View Post
I am running in medium to low traction track today, tight course with ground temp over 50C and air temp 30 C plus strong gust, any suggestions on setup and tire ? We run Sorex here.
For medium to low grip I would go with the Hofer standard setup. You can find it on petitrc here:
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/schu...Setup20130423/
Old 10-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #1503
Tech Adept

Well what can i say first run indoors mid motor and car was faultless just need to calm car down a little but think a mazda will cure that.
Ran a diff in front like that a lot others running spools only one corner started to give me problems but track not used in 7 months so grip was all over the place,
Really pleased
Quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #1504
Tech Adept

Huge thanks to the crew at DiscountRCStore.com for putting together the Schumie zone at IIC. First outing of the new Mi5 chassis at a North American style carpet event and it was great having all the Mi5 jockeys together to discuss setup and tuning options. The IIC track was TOUGH, the traction was completely ridiculous (far higher than previous IIC events, and many times higher than my club track) by 1/3 of the way through the qualifiers. But now we have a few setups that work under these conditions as starting points and I know I am ready for Cleveland with high but not astronomical traction.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #1505
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroves View Post
Huge thanks to the crew at DiscountRCStore.com for putting together the Schumie zone at IIC. First outing of the new Mi5 chassis at a North American style carpet event and it was great having all the Mi5 jockeys together to discuss setup and tuning options. The IIC track was TOUGH, the traction was completely ridiculous (far higher than previous IIC events, and many times higher than my club track) by 1/3 of the way through the qualifiers. But now we have a few setups that work under these conditions as starting points and I know I am ready for Cleveland with high but not astronomical traction.
I agree CG, it was a pleasure meeting you guys. A big shout of thanks to Phill and Tim from R/C Discount. You guys helped me all week. I cant thank you guys enough!

I put the new chassis and braces on my car between the 3rd and 4th qualifier. It helped me gain another lap. Made the car easier to drive!

Rich
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #1506
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

My pair of Mi5's ran pretty well in Vegas. The SpecGT car was awesome up until Friday when the bite went through the roof. I was up to 9th qualifier overall at that time but the car was trying to tip so I couldn't get a clean run. I never had any luck with the 17.5 car but it did feel awesome in the main. We had a ton of conversations in the pits as to what was needed to settle the cars down. I finally talked with some friends about what they did to settle the cars down (they run various brands) and it seemed that most had ended up gluing the tire sidewall on the front. I did this just before the mains and it was the magic touch that was needed. The cars could be driven hard without the worry of tipping. The SpecGT car was going to be awesome but ended up spitting the steering rack out after a light hit on the first lap. The 17.5 car felt great but had a little push. I started in 9th and the entire race was a mess. Overall I'm confident in my setups for next year and gained a ton of knowledge this week. Thanks to everyone else at the race for making it feel like a team of Mi5's.
Special thanks to EMRFactory and VBC Racing.
linkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #1507
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkless View Post
My pair of Mi5's ran pretty well in Vegas. The SpecGT car was awesome up until Friday when the bite went through the roof. I was up to 9th qualifier overall at that time but the car was trying to tip so I couldn't get a clean run. I never had any luck with the 17.5 car but it did feel awesome in the main. We had a ton of conversations in the pits as to what was needed to settle the cars down. I finally talked with some friends about what they did to settle the cars down (they run various brands) and it seemed that most had ended up gluing the tire sidewall on the front. I did this just before the mains and it was the magic touch that was needed. The cars could be driven hard without the worry of tipping. The SpecGT car was going to be awesome but ended up spitting the steering rack out after a light hit on the first lap. The 17.5 car felt great but had a little push. I started in 9th and the entire race was a mess. Overall I'm confident in my setups for next year and gained a ton of knowledge this week. Thanks to everyone else at the race for making it feel like a team of Mi5's.
Where you running the new chassis as well? Did you pull the washers under the arms out?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #1508
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
Where you running the new chassis as well? Did you pull the washers under the arms out?
I placed alum screws on all wishbones. I had some hard hits, and never had a problem
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #1509
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
I placed alum screws on all wishbones. I had some hard hits, and never had a problem
Did the new chassis reduce the flex? how much?
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #1510
Tech Addict

I was running the standard chassis on both cars with no shims under the arms. I started with .5mm under the arms and removed them prior to Wednesday's runs. I am hoping to get to a high bite track sometime this winter and get some real testing in. It's hard to develop a setup when you only get to see the track twice a day. It's even more difficult when the traction increases so much daily.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #1511
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
I used the braces, and the new chassis. It was quite a bit stiffer. It really made the car rotate well.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #1512
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

was there an mi5 not needing sidewall glueing to prevent tipping?
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #1513
Tech Addict

I had made a few other changes as well and probably could have gotten away without the glue but didn't want to take the chance. I believe Adam didn't glue his on either car, with one using the new chassis and one not.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #1514
Tech Adept

By the last qualifiers I wasn't rolling on my 17.5 car and I didn't glue the sidewalls.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #1515
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
I agree CG, it was a pleasure meeting you guys. A big shout of thanks to Phill and Tim from R/C Discount. You guys helped me all week. I cant thank you guys enough!

I put the new chassis and braces on my car between the 3rd and 4th qualifier. It helped me gain another lap. Made the car easier to drive!

Rich
Quote:
We really enjoyed meeting and working with all you guys and look forward to more events in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
It does reduce the flex significantly, however the EXTREME traction coupled with the inherent flex of the car, the chassis alone was not quite enough to free the car up especially at speed.. it was simply generating too much traction. We ended up gluing the sidewalls as well which worked well enough for the mains although not a complete solution. We think a small bit of anti-dive along with 6 degree casters would've helped. We're looking for ways to stiffen the top deck ( more spacers, inserts etc ) and will be testing that over the next few weeks and will report.. It will be difficult to match that level of traction anywhere though I think, except maybe for the Birds in January.

..p

Some pix of the cars, pits, and track :
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher Mi5-20131011_204032.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-20131011_204054.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-20131011_150657.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-20131011_145643.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-20131011_150629.jpg  

---> Like us on Facebook!
DiscountRCStore is offline   Reply With Quote