R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #706
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

car is a little fragile I must say, but definately an impressive care. I have added some aluminum shims to take away some of the slop, but its not horrible. Had a rough weekend for racing, but when the car was definately on pace. Looking forward to next weekend so I can run it again. I just received the springs and the new axles so I can run my gear diff up front.
WEEZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #707
Tech Regular

and by axles, I mean outdrives.

Last edited by WEEZY; 07-18-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #708
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)
Default Springs

What springs are you going to use?
Crowbo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #709
Tech Regular

right now I am using some xray springs, I have the 1 and 2 dot springs up at the store to try. (they were backorderd) the kit springs are the 3 dot springs but those are like 18lb, i think they are a little stiff. But we will see, prob will race next thursday.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #710
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanyde View Post
Putting a grub screw under the C hub worked for me. Its a nice, easy car to setup. Minor changes in setup can be felt, even for a non pro like me.
Can you post a pic of this ? this is what i am thinking of doing but not sure exactly where it should go.

You guys say grub screw, i dont know those is that the same as a set screw ?
rc-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #711
Tech Master

Default Grub screw

Here you go. This is on an associated car, but same thing. Just a droop screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Durango DETC410-image.jpg  
Old 07-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #712
Tech Master

Default Springs

Wheezy, I checked, I was 3 dot all the way around. Looked through my parts and I have 1 pair of 1 dots I may throw on the back. I thought the 3 dots would be way too stiff but the car wasn't bad. Just a bit loose. Maybe the 1 dots will tighten it up a bit. I may also lengthen the camber links and see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #713
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbo74 View Post
Here you go. This is on an associated car, but same thing. Just a droop screw.
Yes, thats what I did!

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #714
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbo74 View Post
Wheezy, I checked, I was 3 dot all the way around. Looked through my parts and I have 1 pair of 1 dots I may throw on the back. I thought the 3 dots would be way too stiff but the car wasn't bad. Just a bit loose. Maybe the 1 dots will tighten it up a bit. I may also lengthen the camber links and see if that makes a difference.
On treated asphalt I used 1 dot all round. Car was much easier to drive fast consistently.

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #715
Tech Regular

Car felt a little stiff to me as well. I have a full set of 1 dots and 2 dots up at the shop. Hoping to put those on and the front gear diff and the car should come around. Like I said, the way it sits now its on pace, just dumb driving. Its more consistent then my awesomatix was. Way easier to drive.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #716
Tech Master

Default Parts

I just ordered all the parts we should ever need for them from Todd. Now I just need to find some electronics for the 17.5 car. I gave my hacker away to a buddy in. Cali that had never ran hacker before. If you run Thursday let me know how it goes.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #717
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just ordered this kit about 30 min ago and im excited. A few questions about the build;

Is there anything i should be watchful of when doing the build?
Can i use T.O.P. And Kimbro spur gears in this car?
Is treating the CF parts nessecary?
Can anyone reccomend a good setup for 17.5 blinky (no timing or gear limit), meadium-high treated hot asphalt (spec tires are sorex 36)?
GizmoTLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #718
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoTLR View Post
Just ordered this kit about 30 min ago and im excited. A few questions about the build;

Is there anything i should be watchful of when doing the build?
Can i use T.O.P. And Kimbro spur gears in this car?
Is treating the CF parts nessecary?
Can anyone reccomend a good setup for 17.5 blinky (no timing or gear limit), meadium-high treated hot asphalt (spec tires are sorex 36)?
Ran the car for the first time yesterday on a High grip parking lot track yesterday.

Track temp was 102-108 F most of the day.

Kimbrough Spur gears will not work for the 410 for a number of reasons. I use a Serpent 96 that we thinned out the center web to fit the 2.18mm layshaft pulley distance. Serpent will also fit.

Be mindful of when you install the grub screws for the lower shock mounts into the arm. If you "bottom" them out, it can cause and added stress point to the arm from impact and flex. This will lead to a hairline crack at the arm.

I would also open up the droop screw hole before installing the screw, it is a little to tight for my liking.

Make sure to use "low profile" serrated wheel nuts for the front, a standard wheel nut extends to far past the rim and body and will catch anything it can get ahold of if to close to a barrier.
Add a small piece of servo tape under the servo when installing the floating servo mount to help stabilize the servo as the stock plastic mount will flex naturally.

I built the car initially to the manual, with the exception of 2.5 deg rear toe.

I started the day with Corally Black 17lb springs in the front and Durango 3 dot in the rear on the shocks. Both are rated at 17 and change, the Corally is just a tick softer though at mid compression. Cap screws installed with 25% rebound. I switched to Corally 14.5 in the rear and removed the front bleed screws. I ended up with the shocks in the 3rd hole from center in the front and 2 holes out from center in the rear. 5000cst in the rear diff which was just a little to much in the lower speed corner.

I was geared at 3.46, undergeared for the size of the track.

I would recommend having a spare set of stub axles and dog bones if you hit stuff like I do :-). As well as using the Parma Ultimate bumper for the TC5 of XRay Hard Foam bumper.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #719
Tech Regular

Got to run my car yesterday after adding the gear diff and getting the additional springs. I ended up with the1 dot springs all the way around. 14.7lb I believe. I got the gear diff installed with ear plugs to make it like a spool, and I am running 1000 wt in the rear. Car was dialed. Definately on pace, missed TQ by .26 of a sec. had a body tuck in the main after taking the lead so that dropped me to the back of the pack and I fought all the way back to second. Car was really easy to drive and super consistent.

When building the car I second with making the Droop screw hole a little bigger, initial fit is a little tight and its a pain to adjust.

I have only broke the front spool outdrive, never saw that before but it is what it is.

From building the kit and working on it for the last 3 weeks i think the plastic is pretty soft. Be careful when you are building the car not to overtighten anything.

I am going to start messing with the blocks this next weekend but im pretty much kit setup minus springs, droop changes and a couple shims here and there. Pretty impressed with the car..
Old 07-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #720
Tech Adept

What spurs fit and what size comes in the kit? I want to run 88/54.

And is is necessary to CA glue the CF edges? I have never prepped any CF parts on any cars (off road and on road) and never had an issue.
GizmoTLR is offline   Reply With Quote