R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #496
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 969
Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Default

tamiya grey ones are better, but you are correct that they need to be cut, the x ray ones are a little lose on the durango ball ends, the spec r ones fit perfectly as well, I use all tamiya ones, with tamiya shocks, and now fitting the 418 suspension on the car, just waiting for some parts, now that I think about it should have bought a 418, lol, but just cant get over the white diffs.
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #497
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraz View Post
tamiya grey ones are better, but you are correct that they need to be cut, the x ray ones are a little lose on the durango ball ends, the spec r ones fit perfectly as well, I use all tamiya ones, with tamiya shocks, and now fitting the 418 suspension on the car, just waiting for some parts, now that I think about it should have bought a 418, lol, but just cant get over the white diffs.
Yeah I may break down and just do the tamiya ones.

Ive got a 418 with about a month of racing on it that I plan on selling. Nothing wrong with the 418, just wanted to try something new. The parts support for Durango around where I live is much better than the Tamiya.
TamiyaMatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #498
Tech Elite
 
Dustin's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Topeka,KS
Posts: 3,947
Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Default

Wanting to use a battery strap vs tape anyone have any suggestions
__________________
Dustin Thompson
Bellgate Distributors
Kyosho RB6.6 MP9 TKI4
MP9E TKI
Highest Servos
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #499
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Wanting to use a battery strap vs tape anyone have any suggestions
I use this one. It works great. The alloy posts come in orange too.
lipo-battery-strap-w-alloy-posts/
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BananaRaceway/
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #500
Tech Addict
 
Cadman1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 548
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I just got my kit yesterday, and i started to build it. I like how the diff came together, looks like it won't be leaking. So far i haven't attacked anything past the shocks, good things and bad things. I like how the piston is held in place, very solid and no looseness, but wow, anyone else notice how the shaft is loose? I put a green slime on the o-rings, but i am sure air will get into the shock easily! As bad as my yokomo shocks... Looks like i'm going to need to shop for some TRF shocks...
__________________
Awesomatix A700L
Tamiya Exotek F104v2
HPI Vorza HP 2.4ghz
1990s Futaba FXT stadium racer - Mint condition!
And a bunch of other RC kits for me and my kids...yeah...my kids...
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #501
Tech Master
 
cyanyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KL, MY.
Posts: 1,023
Default

We had 2 DETC410s in the Malaysian National Championship season opener yesterday racing boosted 13.5 on low-med grip asphalt.

I qualified 2nd and the other driver 6th out of 43. Unfortunately driver error (me) prevented us to take the win....

However it was a great Malaysian debut for the DETC410!

The car had so much steering that we had to maximize rear traction, followed with softening the front a little to make it a more manageable drive. Did the 2nd fastest lap, just a couple of hundredths of a sec from the fastest lap.

The car is very sensitive to setup changes that you can really feel what works and what doesn't. We found a good ballpark setup in only half a day and knew what tweaks were needed as tires wore and temps changed.

Car was mostly bone stock except for springs. No option parts were used.

Congrats to Mr. Harper for taking 8th at the pre-worlds!
__________________
/Adrian.

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #502
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

I must hand it to Elliott Harper. He really makes his DETC410 look good amongst all the world-champion drivers. At the end of the weekend he finished 8th overall.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BananaRaceway/
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #503
Tech Adept
 
pyro854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 210
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
I just got my kit yesterday, and i started to build it. I like how the diff came together, looks like it won't be leaking. So far i haven't attacked anything past the shocks, good things and bad things. I like how the piston is held in place, very solid and no looseness, but wow, anyone else notice how the shaft is loose? I put a green slime on the o-rings, but i am sure air will get into the shock easily! As bad as my yokomo shocks... Looks like i'm going to need to shop for some TRF shocks...
I didnt notice the shaft being loose, but since i built my shocks at the start of February they have yet to show any kind of leaking so im not worried about it.
__________________
RJ Whiteside

Last edited by pyro854; 04-06-2014 at 09:45 PM.
pyro854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #504
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
I just got my kit yesterday, and i started to build it. I like how the diff came together, looks like it won't be leaking. So far i haven't attacked anything past the shocks, good things and bad things. I like how the piston is held in place, very solid and no looseness, but wow, anyone else notice how the shaft is loose? I put a green slime on the o-rings, but i am sure air will get into the shock easily! As bad as my yokomo shocks... Looks like i'm going to need to shop for some TRF shocks...
Make sure you build the shocks correctly with the hard plastic inserts in the shock the right way. If you put them in wrong you will get lots of shaft movement, if you build them right they are actually supported above and below the oring into the shock body and end cap, which is supported by one more bushing over the TRF shocks, so a better product.

I feel that bastardizing the car with other makers parts is a total dis-service to this car, the parts out of the box are more than capable of performing great. Doing this just confuses people that will miss out on a great out of the box kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro854 View Post
Lucky you on the built diff. I have yet to see one of the kits come with it prebuilt. As for the shocks, i didnt notice the shaft being loose, but my shocks have yet to show any kind of leaking so im not worried about it.
I think he is saying that the assembly of the diff went together without any problems, it wasn't pre assembled.
Rodney Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #505
Tech Adept
 
pyro854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 210
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Racer View Post
I think he is saying that the assembly of the diff went together without any problems, it wasn't pre assembled.
Oops, i guess i just read it too fast.
__________________
RJ Whiteside
pyro854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #506
Tech Addict
 
Cadman1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 548
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Racer View Post
Make sure you build the shocks correctly with the hard plastic inserts in the shock the right way. If you put them in wrong you will get lots of shaft movement, if you build them right they are actually supported above and below the oring into the shock body and end cap, which is supported by one more bushing over the TRF shocks, so a better product.

I feel that bastardizing the car with other makers parts is a total dis-service to this car, the parts out of the box are more than capable of performing great. Doing this just confuses people that will miss out on a great out of the box kit.

I think he is saying that the assembly of the diff went together without any problems, it wasn't pre assembled.
I totally agree, i want to try the car with durango parts. I will try the car box stock and let you guys know. I tripple checked the manual, the shocks are built according to 'spec'. Fully built they seem better, maybe the orings swelled up a little which removed the slack.

Anyone know what size hex is for the shock cap screws? i can't find an allen key or screwdriver that fits snug and stripped one screw...
__________________
Awesomatix A700L
Tamiya Exotek F104v2
HPI Vorza HP 2.4ghz
1990s Futaba FXT stadium racer - Mint condition!
And a bunch of other RC kits for me and my kids...yeah...my kids...
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #507
Tech Addict
 
Cadman1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 548
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

What is the length of the shock? The manual shows that the shaft is 12mm long, but the actual length?
__________________
Awesomatix A700L
Tamiya Exotek F104v2
HPI Vorza HP 2.4ghz
1990s Futaba FXT stadium racer - Mint condition!
And a bunch of other RC kits for me and my kids...yeah...my kids...
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #508
Tech Elite
 
Rick Vessell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mars
Posts: 2,239
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
I totally agree, i want to try the car with durango parts. I will try the car box stock and let you guys know. I tripple checked the manual, the shocks are built according to 'spec'. Fully built they seem better, maybe the orings swelled up a little which removed the slack.

Anyone know what size hex is for the shock cap screws? i can't find an allen key or screwdriver that fits snug and stripped one screw...
Shock cap and wheel hex screws are .050. Only two SAE screws in the entire kit.
__________________
Futaba, O.S. Engines, Tornado Fuel, Schumacher Racing, SpeedPassion USA, Eggroll Inc., Desoto Racing, Vesselli Racing
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #509
Tech Elite
 
Rick Vessell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mars
Posts: 2,239
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
What is the length of the shock? The manual shows that the shaft is 12mm long, but the actual length?
The manual and setup sheets are referring to the distance between the bottom of the shock body and the top of the eyelet. If you built your shocks so that this measures 12mm you will have enough travel. I will try to remember to measure mine tonight center to center to give you an overall length.
__________________
Futaba, O.S. Engines, Tornado Fuel, Schumacher Racing, SpeedPassion USA, Eggroll Inc., Desoto Racing, Vesselli Racing
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #510
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: England
Posts: 417
Send a message via MSN to Bigger Brother
Default

I'd certainly recommend building the shocks exactly as the manual, with a 12mm shaft length. We were building Elliott's shocks in exactly this way all last year, and they were super easy to build, and importantly, build consistently.

We had a good start to our outdoor season here in the UK with the DETC410 at the BTCC event at West London. Leigh Dibble did a great job to qualify second in Pro-Stock, only being beaten by the current National Pro-Stock champion! I didn't do quite so well, not having time to prepare a wet car for the event. But my car was completely box-standard, and just a few small tweaks to the standard setup and allowed me to set some of my best times around the track.

Hope everyone is enjoying building their cars, it was great to see a couple at the track this weekend and looks like there will be many more in the coming weeks!
__________________
Oli Meggitt | London, UK
.:. Essex Winter Series .:. CML Racing .:. ToniSport .:. Zen Racing .:. Moorespeed RC .:. OTM Racing .:. RC Racing TV .:. RIDE R/C Scoreboards
Bigger Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:36 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0