R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2014, 02:10 PM   #481
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TurboT

I have had a bit of practice time and a little race time on the car in mod. Found the low-traction setup a bit more loose than I'd like but with some spring and droop changes, the car feels great! Even a little more steering than I'm used to, but that's something I can get used to.

Really enjoyed the build and look forward to more track time with it. This is going to be a fast car once it gets fully dialed in.

I found it good in durability testing except the lower shock mounts. I don't like the way the inserts work all that much. I drilled my arm to take a longer screw. Seems more secure. I managed to break an outdrive on the front, too, but that was a smokin' fast hit at the end of the straight due to aforementioned shock mount. Surprisingly, nothing else broke on it in that hit!
TurboT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #482
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Being the thread creator it took me long enough to finally order this car. But it has finally happened and I will make sure to update the front page with any details that are important. If you have any ideas for the main page. Please PM me and I will be sure to update.

I plan to run Blinky 17.5t on asphalt/carpet and also Mod this summer at Leisure Hours Joiliet, IL.
DNX408V2-NovaP5, DETC410-Reventon 1.1ex-5.5t MMM
RC10 , RC10GT2- CV-R- SAVOX,
TAMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 PM   #483
Tech Adept

Default Race report card.

Ran the car this weekend in high competition in one of the biggest classes, tightest fields this year. The only change I did on the car was went from a spool to a front diff with 2.5 million lube. The STOCK shocks worked flawlessly as well as all the other STOCK components on the car. The car is a pleasure to drive and has great transition and corner speed, able to run with the "A,X,Y and S" cars with no problems.

Track had one section that was notorious for peeling off corners of all brands of cars and ours was no different if you happened to hit it incorrectly, so I wouldn't rate the car any weaker than any of the others in that category.

It does bring to mind one thing that you should change on the car which will give it much better durability. The lower pivot screw that goes threw the bushing and into the steering knuckle should be changed to a longer one, as it is it only has about 2-3 threads into the knuckle which can pull out very easily. I put a screw in that went to just poking out the knuckle and had no problems since.

Parts report.
After the weekend the damage total count was as follows.
2 front arms
1 steering knuckle
1 front DCJ axle (The little locator ball broke off, )
The nice thing is that the parts are less money than other brands.

Overall I'd give the car a A- based on performance and durability. Again, this particular track layout had one bad section which didn't discriminate any brand of car. This was one of those sections where I felt that the durability of the car wasn't as much of a deterrent as driver talent was taking the high risk to make the corner faster than safer, but never did I doubt that the car would break while racing it. Not a pins and needles feel by no means.

As far as the servo mount goes, can't really argue with the head man, but it makes no sense to me to have the servo supported as it is and not have it float. I run servo tape on the bottom side of the servo to keep it level but never actually secure it to the plate. Have not had any issues with it in that configuration.

There also was some talk of boiling the parts. Just wondering if anyone else has done or tried this and what where the results over the out of bag pieces. I don't really think they are a issue, but looking for some feedback.
Rodney Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #484
Tech Adept

Default Front Diff

Something you should be aware of with the car if you're going to run a front diff. The outdrives have to be changed because of the 2.5mm pin on the dogbone. So if you're ordering a diff for the front get the front outdrives right away or you won't be able to run it as is.
Rodney Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #485
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMAK View Post
Being the thread creator it took me long enough to finally order this car. But it has finally happened and I will make sure to update the front page with any details that are important. If you have any ideas for the main page. Please PM me and I will be sure to update.

I plan to run Blinky 17.5t on asphalt/carpet and also Mod this summer at Leisure Hours Joiliet, IL.
I would suggest making a bullet point type list of the insights Mr. Harper shares within the thread and have them all consolidated on the first page. Kudos and props to Team Durango on the car and to Elliot Harper for his informative, helpful comments.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #486
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to TurboT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro854 View Post
The screws arent really needed, and i havent bent either steering link. I had no intention of replacing the camber links, but i bent 2 links on very hard hits, so i now have the 28mm steel links from Durango on the car.
I tested the camber links with a couple hits and I bent one pretty bad. Good thought on using the Durango steel ones. They're inexpensive and I have never bent one on my DEX410.
TurboT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #487
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys. I ran in at the last leg of the WCICS series in Calgary AB this past weekend. Car was very good out the box. it took to changes very well. unfortunetly the car did break a front and and DJC (centering ball) which retired the car for the weekend. Cant wait to have it up and running for the mile high nationals next weekend.

Nick K
Phoenix82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 AM   #488
Tech Regular

Default Front bumper

Does any one know if the Foam front bumper from this car is a direct fit on an Xray T4 14 ??
Old 04-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #489
Tech Master

Yup, also if u put your rear body post on the backside of the tower the xray 14 bodies r a direct fit
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #490
Tech Master

That yup was for the front bumper. The t2 t3 hard front parma bumber fits great
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #491
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Your car looked good out there Eric. If you need any shims, let me know. I can shim it out for ya the next time you are at the track.
Thanks Jimmy, I actually already shimmed up the steering rack right after I posted. I'm thinking about putting some spacers under the rear hangers too.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #492
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

I am impressed by Elliott Harper's DETC410 at the Worlds Championship Warm-Up Race. So far he is qualified 9th overall!

Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #493
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Spur Gear Questions? Don't want to run 64P, has anyone tired the robinson racing spurs to see if pulley key fits them? 70T spur would be about right for the 17.5 spec I will be racing.
MP9E TKI
Highest Servos
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #494
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Robinson does not work. They will key into the center pulleys just fine but they are to thick... I am using Serpent spurs with good results (69 and 72), both can be found on A-main
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #495
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Maybe this has been addressed already...

After a few races, the kit ball cups/rod ends have some major slop. I have a ton of tamiya ball cups, but wanted some with the holes on the top without drilling. What ball cups do you recommend? I've been told the Xray ball cups are good
TamiyaMatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote