Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lathe ? ball bearings or v guides ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Smile

Good point about the verticle plates. Hudy might think about grooving the base plate to allow perfect alignment of those. Hudy's Tech Comm runs on a pulley system, so I don't think slave motor vibration is much of an issue with these models.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Tech Rookie

I currently have an Integy/Xipp lathe equipped w/ the bearings to hold the arm and lately I've been wondering if v-blocks would be better. Is there any way to change over to v-blocks without having to buy a new lathe?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yes, Integy has the v blocks avalable seperately. They are dialed!!!

-Korey
Old 05-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Tech Regular

there all the same s&#t but cut the same
Old 05-16-2005, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by asw7576
I have Hudy with V guide. V guide is okay, simple design with great results. One thing I don't like about Hudy lathe is the vertical plates that hold both end of the rotor. ( one plate is where the motor slave sit, and another plate for holding commutator ). I'm sure those plates are not 90 degree perfect to the side nor the bottom. I have to make correction and adjustment to ensure the rotor shaft are perfectly align to V guide If Hudy is a premium brand for precision and quality........ well, I don't see the precision for that particular lathe.
The reason they aren't in a plate or what not is so you can adjust them....If you don't have a ruler to measure if your plates are square then you have more problems then just the v-guilds.
The reason for the adjustment is to able to cut Stock-19T-and Mod all with the same lathe and get the perfect fit for each comm, so no rattle or those really bad stripes....
If you actually measure the corner to corner in a X pattern you will know if it square or use a caliper for the truely Anal racer out there. It doesn't take much to set it up...there is a reason why they give you tools with the lathe.
Just trying to prove a point HUDY does make PRECISION product.
Sorry if this seems harsh but everyone has there opinions about which lathe is best for what ever reason...If your doesn't cut perfectly, take it to GOOD Hobby shop and ask the people there to set up your lathe....You do have to put some effort into making your cut perfectly. I learned the hard way.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 05-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

hey guys i was just wondering whether someone could help me with a problem i have with my lathe whereby the lathe keeps destroying the copper on the armatures. what would it be causing this?

by the way i have an eagle comm lathe with a 55 turn motor, diamond bit, and ball bearing guides
Old 05-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

I use a 3-racing lathe. and V-guides all the way for the reasons mentioned above.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Bony85
hey guys i was just wondering whether someone could help me with a problem i have with my lathe whereby the lathe keeps destroying the copper on the armatures. what would it be causing this?

by the way i have an eagle comm lathe with a 55 turn motor, diamond bit, and ball bearing guides
Your spinning the motor backwards bro.

I started with the bearing model and noticed wierd lines in the comm after using it for 2 months. The bearings have too much play and after a short period of time get sloppier due to wear, they also get gummed up with shavings. That was when the first hudy's came out. Then I bought the one with the v blocks and have had it for 2 years with out a problem, Until a buddy chipped the bit, Sent it to carter tools and had it ressharpend.

I AM SURE YOU GET THE POINT BY NOW WITH EVERY ONE SAYING V V V V V V BLOCKS!!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

i bought a 3racing lathe with bearings a while back from rc-mushroom and it cut fine to start with but then started to get worse and worse...i have a feeling thats my tip though.

anyway, i noticed on rc-mushroom.com (Where i got my lathe from) they have started to sell the v block version fo mine..i was just wondering if i was able to purchase the v blocks seperatley isntead of buying the new lathe (saying that, wouldn't be hard to sell my current one and buy the v block one)
Old 05-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good choice.....I've used the Hudy auto executive comm lathe With V-guides for well over a year now....no wear on anything, super low vibration, still cuts within 2 tenths of a thousanths......ya can't ask for much more
Old 05-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

unless you really enjoy cleaning and replacing bearings, v guides are the way to go. A little bushing oil in the guides before you throw the comm in and your dialed! The copper filings destroy bearings very quiclky.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've got v-guides as well on my twister. Haven't got a clue how old it is but it works

Charles
Old 05-17-2005, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

V or U guides. My Cobra lathe has done so many cuts, that I can no longer see the platform under the armature . Bearings wear out and get slop. V and U guides don't. I've seen a Cobra lathe w/ diamond bit after several thousand cuts have ZERO wear on the U guides and diamond bit.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For those using v-guides, what have you found to be the best lubricant to use?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Fuzzy
For those using v-guides, what have you found to be the best lubricant to use?
Bushing Oil....it is thicker and last as long as the cut takes.
Plus it helps get the arm nice and lubed as well.
Stephen <><