Like Tree3Likes

TRF101

Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
When the chassis starts to spin out the gyro will counter steer for you. If the chassis starts to spin when either turning into a corner or when wheels spin coming out of the corner depending on how you have set up the gyro it will correct the steering so will help keep it on line. It means you can run softer front tyres for more steering grip for faster cornering without worrying about the car spinning out.
here's a good demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dQlBmfV2I
Wouldn't this be the same as the HPI D-Box?
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/80588/
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

When the chassis starts to spin out the gyro will counter steer for you. If the chassis starts to spin when either turning into a corner or when wheels spin coming out of the corner depending on how you have set up the gyro it will correct the steering so will help keep it on line. It means you can run softer front tyres for more steering grip for faster cornering without worrying about the car spinning out.
here's a good demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dQlBmfV2I
Good points

Something else we noted when a few drivers snuck them into their F1's

F1 Gyro drivers can plow into other cars, without much risk of loosing time
One can imagine the type of racing this leads to...
Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Good points

I've seen guys do that as well, try to get away with a gyro....

Simply don't understand it. Isn't it more challenging and rewarding to actually "drive" the car yourself?

Last edited by celt; 07-03-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FL_SilverEvo8
Wouldn't this be the same as the HPI D-Box?
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/80588/
All the HPI D-Box is, is a Futaba G190 helicopter gyro at double the price.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

So how is this car over all? Is it hard to set up? Does it push a lot? Does it over rotated? Is this car made for more asphalt or carpet? What tire works best on this car Rubber or foam? I see that it is more durable than most kits out there. I have a VBC Flash-04 and was thinking about getting this kit. Reason being because of the durably and every time I take out my VBC the arms break most of the time. Have any of you compered this kit with any others out there? Like the VBC one.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by celt
I've seen guys do that as well, try to get away with a gyro....

Simply don't understand it. Isn't it more challenging and rewarding to actually "drive" the car yourself?
Fezzik: We face each other as God intended. Sportsmanlike. No tricks, no weapons, skill against skill alone.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Inconceivable!!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FL_SilverEvo8
So how is this car over all? Is it hard to set up? Does it push a lot? Does it over rotated? Is this car made for more asphalt or carpet? What tire works best on this car Rubber or foam? I see that it is more durable than most kits out there. I have a VBC Flash-04 and was thinking about getting this kit. Reason being because of the durably and every time I take out my VBC the arms break most of the time. Have any of you compered this kit with any others out there? Like the VBC one.
Arms won't break every time on TRF101. F104v2 was a very durable chassis and trf101 is more so. TRF101 felt better than F104v2 overall.
It worked well with pit shimizu 573 f and 572 r for me on the asphalt track.
IMO, there is no better f1 kit out there right now that will perform like this out of box.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by celt
It depends on whether they are allowed or not. In the mid 90s when we raced F1, especially on our damp and cold UK tracks, there wasn't any rule banning gyros. When you are racing on low grip tracks against cars with perfectly legal gyros saying it is better to "drive" it yourself isn't going to get you any extra laps.
The gyros were just a tuning aid, if the grip was good enough it was better to remove the gyro as you have more control, if it was slippery you added the gyro to help you get around. It was strange to drive as you didn't feel in full control, much like the way a boosted ESC will take over the throttle for you when it kicks in.

And sticking a gyro in doesn't just let the car drive itself, if you are spinning out every corner you will still spin out with a gyro. You can't just throw a chassis down with whatever setup and expect the gyro to control it so it drives around on rails, it just doesn't happen. The chassis still needs to be set up and you still need to drive it properly, the difference is you can dial in a bit more front end grip for a gyro.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

My first F1! Managed to install all the electronics and build the kit 1/3 faster than touring car. Applied my touring knowledge a bit coz the principal somewhat similar.

Now need to cut my Ferrari 2012 body. Will post soon.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by merkyworks

So use O-rings where the red and/or green circles are?
That's a good point for tuning the car, you can adjust the stiffness of the front by steps. I found some springs with different strengths from my Mini-Z and will try them out this Sun, I will put it in the middle where the RED circle is, will let you know how it runs.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

All the HPI D-Box is, is a Futaba G190 helicopter gyro at double the price.
I have one Esky headlock gyro and have try it on my TRF101, I wired the signal cable to AUX and sucessfully tuned the headlock mode with min gain, but when I put it on the ground and test run it, it just turn when it wanted to. Can you post some set up of the AUX... ( I am using a Spectrum DS3S) thank you.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Good points

You mean like Short Course trucks? j/k
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

if trf101 front would sell separately, so i can mount trf101 front end on my x1 lol
Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Yes but it will be expensive.
You will need :
King pin, Center mount, new servo mounts(they are taller), king pin holders, upper arm.
My guess for total cost would be 12, 25,28, 15, 20 = $100.

I left out the aluminum spacers which you can probably replace with plastic ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.