R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #1186
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default TRF101 front carbon suspension set

How are you guys setting the blue colored bottom and top king pin mount? They both have the notch on the side and the instructions aren't to clear wether to have the top and bottom facing out towards the wheels or in towards the chassis? And please remind me how much camber facing the notch in and out have. Thanks
astgerma52sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #1187
Tech Rookie

Hi!

I need some help.I'd like to buy Exotek's IFS suspension set for my TRF102 but I dont find any experience from other guys. Did someone try it? (is it good, bad, what's the main differences between the original suspension).
I also looking for another car (xray x1 or yokomo yr-10). In Hungary most of the guys running with xray and it looks much better than tamiya (in med grip carpet).(maybe i didnt find the right setup).Because of this I'm looking for the new suspension or a new car.

Thanks,

Máté
matemwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #1188
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by astgerma52sp View Post
How are you guys setting the blue colored bottom and top king pin mount? They both have the notch on the side and the instructions aren't to clear wether to have the top and bottom facing out towards the wheels or in towards the chassis? And please remind me how much camber facing the notch in and out have. Thanks
The coloured top kingpin mount is used to set camber. Notch facing in is more camber (I think -2°). I used the TRF101 front end for a short time as the lower suspension balls come out easily. I went to an exotek front axle for infinite camber/caster adjustment. Now I'm running inline front axle, shorty lipo in front, 7K lube in the damper and soft springs all round. Need to have another race (in a few weeks) to see if the setup is working better now. At my hometrack we are only running F1 with 2 people so it's hard to compare.

For the manual:http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...ssis-kit-42252
and find the manual button ;-)

Cheers,
Nilezb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #1189
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilezb View Post
The coloured top kingpin mount is used to set camber. Notch facing in is more camber (I think -2°). I used the TRF101 front end for a short time as the lower suspension balls come out easily. I went to an exotek front axle for infinite camber/caster adjustment. Now I'm running inline front axle, shorty lipo in front, 7K lube in the damper and soft springs all round. Need to have another race (in a few weeks) to see if the setup is working better now. At my hometrack we are only running F1 with 2 people so it's hard to compare.

For the manual:http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...ssis-kit-42252
and find the manual button ;-)

Cheers,
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the newer TRF front carbon upgrade and the pivot balls are more recessed in the carbon so hopefully that keeps them from coming out. The new front has the colored king pin mount on top and bottom and the bottom can only go in one direction. So I guess only the top is used to set camber as you described.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #1190
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matemwd View Post
Hi!

I need some help.I'd like to buy Exotek's IFS suspension set for my TRF102 but I dont find any experience from other guys. Did someone try it? (is it good, bad, what's the main differences between the original suspension).
I also looking for another car (xray x1 or yokomo yr-10). In Hungary most of the guys running with xray and it looks much better than tamiya (in med grip carpet).(maybe i didnt find the right setup).Because of this I'm looking for the new suspension or a new car.

Thanks,

Máté
The IFS suspension is better for cars built on a better platform. The TRF102 is not a great car for carpet, chassis is much too flexible. It is more of a car designed around asphalt racing.

You will be better off with the X1 or YR-10 for carpet and requires a lot less work to get it up to speed.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #1191
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just picked a TRF101W - first timer with F1 chassis. I'll just playing around in parking lots. What ESC and motors are recommended?

Thanks!
jessele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #1192
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

The Hobbywing Justock is a good ESC for mild motors. I would go with a 17.5 to just play with on the parking lot. Should get some decent speed with that combo - but nothing too fast when curbs are in play.

If you do race, most tracks run 21.5 or 25.5 F1, and the Justock would be great for those motors. I run a Justock in my TC6.1 (21.5) and TRF101 (25.5) and it does "just" fine. sorry.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #1193
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracefan View Post
The Hobbywing Justock is a good ESC for mild motors. I would go with a 17.5 to just play with on the parking lot. Should get some decent speed with that combo - but nothing too fast when curbs are in play.

If you do race, most tracks run 21.5 or 25.5 F1, and the Justock would be great for those motors. I run a Justock in my TC6.1 (21.5) and TRF101 (25.5) and it does "just" fine. sorry.

Sweet thanks for the suggestions! I will look in to it now.

Last edited by jessele; 08-09-2016 at 05:55 PM.
jessele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:36 AM   #1194
Tech Regular

Default TRF 101 front carbon suspension

In using this unit I'm having a lot of play/ slop at the 7mm aluminum balls and titanium coated shaft/king pin. Anyone having the same experience and can it be resolved?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #1195
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Andy, andre has a 101 with cf ft end. he will be running next month you can ck his car out at the track in sep.
I was playing with his car and his ft end is tight and smooth...no play or slop
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #1196
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
Andy, andre has a 101 with cf ft end. he will be running next month you can ck his car out at the track in sep.
I was playing with his car and his ft end is tight and smooth...no play or slop
Hey Mark, we missed you the last couple of club races. A few guys have since jumped on board with more to come. We will also be running F1 at the final village vs. Valkaria Rumble hope you can make it in a week. Andre's front end will be a bit different than mine. The ball studs are now recessed in the front carbon fiber. I had a 101 and I don't remember so much play in that area I was wondering if anyone with the TRF front suspension set which comes as an add one part number (42286) have the same problem.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #1197
Tech Apprentice

Default Electronics Placement?

Hey all. A bit late in the day, but i just wanted to talk about electronic placement. I will be running the 101 on carpet. looking for some input on how y'all have your set up. Thank You.
JJ
jujubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #1198
Tech Apprentice

So.....After a great night of running, some very close racing ended with a busted rear shaft . Any suggestion on how to repair instead of getting the TAM42252 (http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...-42252-3484043). Thanks!
JJ
Old 08-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #1199
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubean View Post
So.....After a great night of running, some very close racing ended with a busted rear shaft . Any suggestion on how to repair instead of getting the TAM42252 (http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...-42252-3484043). Thanks!
JJ
You have to replace it with the steel shaft version. If you buy another graphite version it will cause the same problem. I am not sure repairing it is the right way to do it.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #1200
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by astgerma52sp View Post
You have to replace it with the steel shaft version. If you buy another graphite version it will cause the same problem. I am not sure repairing it is the right way to do it.
.......OK. Do you have a part number for that shaft that takes the pin?
Thanks.