R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Thanks for the close ups Fred.
I agree with RBF's previous pics. the current f104 has 4 settings. 1, 1.5, 2, and 2.5 (I know really 6 with 0 and .5)
The new car does too. the tiny holes pointed out with red arrows in RBF's pics offers 1 and 2 locations (inner or outter holes) then the aluminum top ball capture has a little indicator on it. point it inwards or outwards for camber options 3 and 4.

The more I look at the pics I feel this front end is the 'New Style' today's day f103 front. the only difference is the carbon top arms and the adjustable camber. I'm glad as I always preferred the spring on top like RobK.
Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #77
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Just curious here.
The biggest criticisms are that camber isn't adjustable and rear ride height isn't adjustable without popping the axle out. Now over here we race our F1s indoors on carpet, so while the layouts change the surface remains the same and with my narrow rubber car I can't remember ever needing to adjust rear ride height and front camber since I first set it up. Even with my 1/12th scale and WGT I don't touch the camber once it's set to wear the foam tyres flat. Do you regularly adjust ride height and camber at the track?

The one thing I do miss though with the F104 is easily adjustable caster, it was easy to do with my F103 as you just put a washer or two under the mounting screws on the chassis. With my 1/12th and WGT it's one of the few adjustments I regularly make to control balance into and out of the corner. At least with the TRF101 both camber and caster can be adjusted by cutting some new upper plates.
It's good to have options
When you race at many different tracks, like asphalt, concrete, carpet, low grip to high grip, and everything in between

Having raced the 103 for years, one just learned to deal with tire coning, as the car was so good otherwise
But for sure, it was not ideal

I also rarely change my WGT or 12th settings

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #78
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger View Post
It's just a guess but they probably went with the 101 because it's the first official TRF F1 car. And like Terry said, a 105 would be an entirely new chassis.
Quote:
F105 would be a whole new chassis range, not just a new front end on a F104v2 with a few tweaks.
Not to split hairs, but the F104V2 should have been called the "F105". It was an entirely new chassis compared to the original t-plate F104.

As for the camber adjustments, I'm guessing those upper footballs must either be eccentric, or you just change them out to whatever toe angle you want.

Anyone want to guess the street price?
JiuHaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #79
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuHaWong View Post
Not to split hairs, but the F104V2 should have been called the "F105". It was an entirely new chassis compared to the original t-plate F104.

As for the camber adjustments, I'm guessing those upper footballs must either be eccentric, or you just change them out to whatever toe angle you want.

Anyone want to guess the street price?
F-104 front suspension same for 104vII
F-105 most likely big changes ?

I would be surprised if less than $350+ street
TRF are never cheap

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #80
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
F-104 front suspension same for 104vII
F-105 most likely big changes?
Point taken. Perhaps the F105 will feature a fully independent suspension.
JiuHaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #81
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuHaWong View Post
Point taken. Perhaps the F105 will feature a fully independent suspension.
It was a fair point as there is little distinction between F-101 & F-102
F-103 at least had a whole new front end, 2 or 3 really
And a host of changes to pod, t- bar, & damper options

My guess, new front determines model these days

First TRF F1 ever says a lot about the current popularity of F1, and the desire of Tamiya to commit resources to stay in the game

Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #82
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Just curious here.
The biggest criticisms are that camber isn't adjustable and rear ride height isn't adjustable without popping the axle out.......Do you regularly adjust ride height and camber at the track?
Yes we do. Racing rubber on asphalt for the SGP1 series, we have two 20 minute qualifiers for fastest lap. Then a 30 minute race. You need to take away front grip for qualifying, then put it back in for the race to compensate for tire wear.

Unfortunately, it looks like the TRF101 took my front roll center adjustments away. I hope the added rear options will balance that.

I'm also a little concerned about the carbon 1-piece top suspension. There is nothing there that will flex to absorb stress but the plastic wheel hub.

We've got a Japanese F1 race in Shanghai in mid-June. Maybe we'll see one then.
xevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #83
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
I would be surprised if less than $350+ street
TRF are never cheap
+1. I can see the price of the TRF101 being more than the F104WGP. I paid ~ USD300 when it was first released.
Even with the TRF pricing - I would like to get one.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #84
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Add in $50 Tamiya body, $50 wheels/tires... when did F1 cost almost as much as TC now.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #85
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Just curious here.
The biggest criticisms are that camber isn't adjustable and rear ride height isn't adjustable without popping the axle out. Now over here we race our F1s indoors on carpet, so while the layouts change the surface remains the same and with my narrow rubber car I can't remember ever needing to adjust rear ride height and front camber since I first set it up. Even with my 1/12th scale and WGT I don't touch the camber once it's set to wear the foam tyres flat. Do you regularly adjust ride height and camber at the track?

The one thing I do miss though with the F104 is easily adjustable caster, it was easy to do with my F103 as you just put a washer or two under the mounting screws on the chassis. With my 1/12th and WGT it's one of the few adjustments I regularly make to control balance into and out of the corner. At least with the TRF101 both camber and caster can be adjusted by cutting some new upper plates.
Camber on the TRF 101 can be changed from 1.5 to 2.5 degrees. Those are your two choices. It's done by swapping the aluminum pieces on top.

Caster is fixed.

The top screws on the carbon front arms may be loosened to adjust the flex characteristic on the front arms. Loosen for more grip. Tighten if less grip is required.

The new front end makes the car less sensitive and twitchy compared to the standard F104.

The adjustable links have 3 positions. The further you put the link the less roll the car will have. The innermost position will have the most roll.

You will need to trim the body slightly to fit F104 bodies that use the full side pontoons.
FMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #86
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevias View Post
Yes we do. Racing rubber on asphalt for the SGP1 series, we have two 20 minute qualifiers for fastest lap. Then a 30 minute race. You need to take away front grip for qualifying, then put it back in for the race to compensate for tire wear.
I can see why now. We just run 6 minute qualifiers with a 6 minute final as F1s share meetings with WGTs, although we are trying a UF1 style meeting this summer.

Quote:
I'm also a little concerned about the carbon 1-piece top suspension. There is nothing there that will flex to absorb stress but the plastic wheel hub.
Same here. Indoors with solid barriers the plastic top links can bend in impacts so while you have to deal with odd handling at least you can finish your race.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #87
Tech Apprentice

TRF101 video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOhSxA3CIc
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #88
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Shizuoka Hobby Show coverage from my laptop while in Japan...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...=421&type=news
FMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #89
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Great pictures and videos of the new stuff! Thanks Fred!
OnRDPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #90
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Love it!

viet is offline   Reply With Quote