R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #466
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So has anyone gotten lower than 4.5mm in the front on gold springs?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #467
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can get there by shimming the top arm but the car does not seem to like it. Read earlier that the designers recommended not to go below 4.5mm. Mine seems to work best there anyway. Wish I could figure out a way to take some of the castor out without binding up the frontend. Still trying some things.
2014 F.E.D.S. Mod Sprint and Sportsman Late Model Champion
2013 FSERA World GT State Champion
shadowracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #468
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowracer24 View Post
I can get there by shimming the top arm but the car does not seem to like it. Read earlier that the designers recommended not to go below 4.5mm. Mine seems to work best there anyway. Wish I could figure out a way to take some of the castor out without binding up the frontend. Still trying some things.
I'm at a hair below 3.5mm in the front right now. A lot of shims. Will do some testing this weekend.

How well does the car roll in the front? Do you have the stiffening screws in or not?
Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #469
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Fred Medel has mentioned he was able to achieve low ride height without spacing out the arms. Just curious on the details. I had to use 2mm spacers to space out the arm to achieve just over 5mm ride height.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #470
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Fred Medel has mentioned he was able to achieve low ride height without spacing out the arms. Just curious on the details. I had to use 2mm spacers to space out the arm to achieve just over 5mm ride height.
Just finished racing at TQ RC raceway. Finished second first time out on carpet. I had TQ after first round, but couldn't hold it in round 2.
Front ride height was 4.2mm and rear was 4.0mm. I did nothing to modify the front end. The only thing I did was omit the "E" clip. Omitting the E clip gives you another .5mm lower height. Also, I run the silver springs. Most of you guys seem to run gold or black. That raises the car FYI. The silver spring gives me the droop I think is needed for 90% of the racing conditions. Silver springs allows the car to sag therefore it's lower.
FMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #471
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
Just finished racing at TQ RC raceway. Finished second first time out on carpet. I had TQ after first round, but couldn't hold it in round 2.
Front ride height was 4.2mm and rear was 4.0mm. I did nothing to modify the front end. The only thing I did was omit the "E" clip. Omitting the E clip gives you another .5mm lower height. Also, I run the silver springs. Most of you guys seem to run gold or black. That raises the car FYI. The silver spring gives me the droop I think is needed for 90% of the racing conditions. Silver springs allows the car to sag therefore it's lower.
How many mm spacers are supposed to be under the axle? Also, since the e-clip is omitted, where do you set the axle on the kingpin?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #472
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Nicely done Fred! I also run the silver springs and have not had any issues with setting the ride height on my car.
OnRDPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #473
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocratic View Post
How many mm spacers are supposed to be under the axle? Also, since the e-clip is omitted, where do you set the axle on the kingpin?
I have 2mm of spacers under my axle. I would assume that by omitting the e-clip you would line the hub to be just above the grove the e-clip would sit in to gain that extra .5 mm.
OnRDPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #474
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just finished my TRF101 build. This is my first quality RC in many years, so I am still completely new to setting up and fine tuning. I tested my car on asphalt last night and when I gun the throttle trigger the car often swerves right or left. However if I get a rolling start or throttle gradually the car runs straight and true. I already dialed in the steering trim and have my toes almost 0 degrees. Should I look into the rear differential? Anyone with suggestions?
1:10 Tamiya TRF101, Turnigy Trackstar 17.5, Toro TS120
1:12 Tacon Thriller
PhilippineEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #475
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippineEagle View Post
Just finished my TRF101 build. This is my first quality RC in many years, so I am still completely new to setting up and fine tuning. I tested my car on asphalt last night and when I gun the throttle trigger the car often swerves right or left. However if I get a rolling start or throttle gradually the car runs straight and true. I already dialed in the steering trim and have my toes almost 0 degrees. Should I look into the rear differential? Anyone with suggestions?
check the following:

1) servo saver
2) servo - if it's centering properly
3) slop in the suspension arms/suspension parts
4) chassis might be tweaked

hope this helps.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #476
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I lock in the king pin so the groove is just visible above the top of the steering knuckle. With the e-clip on you are pre-loading the spring just a tad if you're using the spacer length called out in the manual. The manual calls out for an aluminum spacer plus one of the plastic ones' from one of the parts tree. I believe it's 4mm combined. I'll have to measure to be sure.

On asphalt (like the Tamiya track) I don't see the need to run the car lower than 4.2mm at the front. You need some decent clearance to let the front end roll some. IMO If anyone feels the need to run 3mm on carpet adding shims below the carbon top arm is no big deal and it's super easy.

I ran my F104 V2 for 3 months straight at TQ over the winter UF1 series. The car was good and still is a good car. I only have 3 weekends with the TRF101 and it's proven itself and I have yet to scratch the surface of trying stuff. Today I tried "in-line" steering VS. "trailing". Both set ups were good! Trailing however makes the car drive easier and I did not loose pace. I was able to do my fastest lap, beating it by a 100th with trailing. So both are quick, but to me trailing feels less sensitive. Some people may like sensitive.

Also, the TRF101 like the F104 V2 is sensitive to "toe" angle. You have to run some toe-out to get the car to be stable. Some of you I notice run straight to "toe-in" and your cars behave very erratic. I run between 2.0 to 2.5 degrees of toe-out.
FMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #477
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Removed e clip. Not recommended for RIDE tire coz it has smaller diameter. The shaft rubs the rim badly
squalleonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #478
Tech Elite

Exclamation

Quote:
Run some front toe out. Try 0.5 to 1 degree toe out. Pulling one direction under power and pulling the opposite way when you let go of the throttle indicates tweak. Also check for too tight front wheel nuts and that the rear axle hubs are not binding the pod bearings.

These are additional to badboy's list.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #479
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I had the same prob at first. The ball diff is still fresh and need a few run. Once ok it will give you the right slip for the right amount of power. Try loosen the diff a bit for now.
squalleonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #480
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions. I will take car to the track tomorrow and give it a proper break in and look into other improvement tweaks.
1:10 Tamiya TRF101, Turnigy Trackstar 17.5, Toro TS120
1:12 Tacon Thriller
PhilippineEagle is offline   Reply With Quote