R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #211
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just got my email from RcMart it has shipped and should arrive in 3 to 5 days. In high anticipation now.
2014 F.E.D.S. Mod Sprint and Sportsman Late Model Champion
2013 FSERA World GT State Champion
shadowracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #212
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
Is the bottom deck really 3mm thick? Is our f104v2 that thick also?
Yes, the chassis is 3mm
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #213
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default TCS

For anyone racing TCS, do not buy the car, assembling per TCS rules a front ride height less than 6mm is not achievable rendering the chassis unusable.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #214
Tech Elite

Default TRF 101 Build - Step 0

Hi All, I started building the Tamiya TRF 101 and will try to post pictures and information as I go.

Step 0 - Chassis Prep

Sealing carbon fiber is optional because of the quality of today's materials. That being said, I typically prepare my carbon fiber pieces by sanding, sealing, sanding and polishing. The results are a glossy finish, no sharp edges, and a smooth feel.

Layout of all pieces ready for chassis prep

On the carbon fiber piece, I wet sanded with 180 grit to knock off the sharp edge. I also use a file or dremel to bevel and round the edges of the battery tape slots. This prevents any potential issues with battery tape getting cut, and money being ejected in a crash

Once done with sanding, I washed the carbon fiber pieces with soap and water. When dry, I wiped the edges clean with motorspray and a towel.

Here's a close up of the bevel/rounded edges

Finally, I applied two thin coats of CA with a cotton swab. For those hard to reach places, I used a toothpick.

A couple of tips on sealing with CA:
  • Avoid applying glue under fluorescent light. The UV rays accelerate the cure time and can result in a rough, orange-peel finish.
  • Try to seal with a warm ambient temperature, somewhere between 75-90 degrees F. If it's too cold, a white haze or residue will form.
  • Apply thin layers and allow proper drying time between coats. It was about 85 degrees today and glue was drying fast.

Bearing Prep:
Since the TRF 101 comes with bearings that aren't packed with grease, I simply placed them in a jar of motorspray and set them aside until needed. Again, this is only for the axle bearings. I did not do this for differential bearings.

I'll continue with chassis prep as soon as the CA dries.
Attached Thumbnails
TRF101-0_chassis-prep1.jpg   TRF101-0_chassis-prep2.jpg   TRF101-0_bearing-prep.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #215
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
For anyone racing TCS, do not buy the car, assembling per TCS rules a front ride height less than 6mm is not achievable rendering the chassis unusable.
So the car sits really high in the front?
What rule do you have to break to make it lower?
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
So the car sits really high in the front?
What rule do you have to break to make it lower?
You would have to shim the upper arm which has been confirmed as illegal for TCS racing. raising the upper arm by ~ 1.5mm would provide the adjustment range needed.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #217
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You would think that TCS would eventually update their rule to accommodate the TRF101 or TRF should have designed a TVS legal kit in the first place.
1:10 Tamiya TRF101, Turnigy Trackstar 17.5, Toro TS120
1:12 Tacon Thriller
PhilippineEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #218
Tech Elite

Default TRF 101 Build - Step 0 Continued

It looks like I won't be able to find time to do a photo build of the TRF 101 because of my glacial build speed and other projects/commitments that take priority.

If I were to continue, it would look very much like the F104 X1 that I completed a while ago. I can still take photos during the build but it won't be as informative. If interested, you can find the F104 X1 build in the Tamiya F104 Pro! thread or in UF1's website.

Here is the rest of chassis prep...

CF edges sealed with CA

CF after wet sanding with progressively finer grits of sand paper

CF after polishing with Mother's Chrome Polish

And since, I feel like I'm letting you guys down, I'll let the cat out of the bag and present another work in progress. Although not an F1 car, it is somewhat related because it was inspired by FMW and RedBullFixx's UF1 team livery...I'll take trackside glamour photos next weekend.

Honda Repsol NSX Work in Progress

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
TRF101-0_chassis-prep3.jpg   TRF101-0_chassis-prep4.jpg   TRF101-0_chassis-prep5.jpg   TRF101-0_chassis-prep6.jpg   TRF101-repsol-nsx_wip.jpg  

Old 06-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #219
Tech Master

Nice chassis prep. I wish I had the patience to do it like that. I will probably just add two layers of CA and call it good.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #220
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Impossible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J. View Post
Sorry, it is not legal to drill holes in the chassis for any reason, unless it's specified to do so in the manual or hop-up manual.
Because the TRF101 is so new and has an unknown differential in performance to the F104, its legality in the TCS series is on hold for the remaining 2013 regional events including the Finals and will be reviewed for 2014 season. We will have a better understanding of how the chassis performs in relation to the F104 line and can proceed appropriately.
No, it is not legal to create a “hybrid” in TCS. A hybrid is creating something that does not exist in the form of a kit or specified option.
No, it is not legal. It must be a specified tuning option/adjustment in the manual or setting sheet.
The rear portion where the suspension mounts is a different height between the one found on the TRF101 and the F104 and at this time, the use of the F104 mounts is not specified as an option for the TRF101 so it would not be allowed.
So (for the rest of 2013) Tamiya's F1 101 TRF is TCS illegal!

Again... TRF is TCS illegal (looks so )

Does America have this distinguished singularity? Or is it extended to Europe and Japan? (for 2013)?

Man, the high brass at Tamiya Japan really put our Tamiya local executives / friends in a tight spot

To all the dudes that already got the kit, my deepest sympathy (well let's look at it on the bright side - it is the least expensive TRF kit you can buy... )

Cheers?

Last edited by HeliYogi; 06-22-2013 at 08:24 PM.
HeliYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #221
Tech Master

In my case, it will be mostly driven in non tcs races. I have only one TCS race a year. For this year's TCS, I can use my f104v2.
I hope trf101 performs better than f104v2. But why would it handle any better?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #222
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Test drive feedback!

Quote:
In my case, it will be mostly driven in non tcs races. I have only one TCS race a year. For this year's TCS, I can use my f104v2.
I hope trf101 performs better than f104v2. But why would it handle any better?
As you test the chassis, please let us know your findings.

The F104 PRO originally behave and drove like a garbage truck - compared to the F103.

Today the F104X1 is as fast or faster (plus much sturdier) than the F104V2. Thus the X1 is still the preferred choice in the UF1 series (Phalen , Cuda... etc).

Fred Medel says that the F104 GP is the fastest ever F1 produced by Tamiya, then why not developed that car for rubber?

Over the years I've heard the old chant that "a chassis must meet a dialing up curve with time." OK - but will we ever see a new proposal that beats it's replacement (almost) out of the box? As it sort of happens with some 4wd progressions.

It seems that Tamiya is definitely not on that road (pardon the pond ) as it concerns its F-1 platform and don't get me wrong - I buy all of their crap (which is less crappy than the rest ).

I really like my F104V2, it's certainly fragile, maybe not as fast as the X1 but it drives well on rubber, so why not develop it to be better? (like IFS sturdier "baseball"...etc.)

I can't figure out why the new design was made for foam tires in mind... Why?

Cheers!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #223
Tech Regular

In my opinion all pancar type cars were designed to be used with foams, with foams my F104 is faster (17,5T) , easier to drive and have more grip, at least at my local track. I usually only use rubbers in rainy days.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #224
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

got my build finished today and as always a very easy tamiya build.

I've wondered about a couple of features on the car and would like some information on.

1. The roll springs and link has 3 settings. Manual suggest middle hole. What is the purpose of moving them to the inner or outer holes?. The manual talks about track conditions, but doesn't expand

2. The pitch damper comes with hard friction grease. I imagine for high carpet this would be great, but for low to medium traction asphalt would soft grease be better as it feels very stiff in the rear using the hard grease.

rtypec - that repsol honda is pure art. well done.
Team ARGO RC - Like us on Facebook
aussierevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #225
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to volracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
Order is pending at Great Planes, which means it won't be long until most North American hobby stores get kits. Looks like the price will be a smidgen bit higher than the F104v2 Pro Dark Ti kit...hmmmm...should I get one...
Prior to ordering a TRF101 from a domestic online merchant, I noticed Tamiya USA had the TRF 101 listed as contact your hobby store. I contacted the distributors that my LHS use; the distributors would not confirm they were going to carry the TRF101.

I realize that RC F1 is a small class, but other new kits are listed for pre-orders weeks/months before release. However this kit seemed to be ignored despite the amount of online interest.
volracer is offline   Reply With Quote