Community
Wiki Posts
Search

piston holes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default piston holes

piston holes, what give more grip smaller holes and thiner oil or larger holes and lighter oil?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Doh.......!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean larger holes thicker oil?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

helo, it depends on your track because the track im racing on like softer (so more holes thiner oil) but ushily i htink its harder the better but just give it a go, bob
Old 05-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

that's a tough question. i think the off road guys should have alot more input on this since their travel and bump speeds are alot higher than ours.

nonetheless, i am curious of experienced input as i recently had to make that decision on the front end of my car. in this case i chose smaller holes since the mounting position of the front shocks, relative to the rear, yielded much less piston travel for a given amount of bump displacement. this way the velocities through the pistons front and rear should be closer than using same pistons, and doubling the front oil. i dunno. i've seen both in the posted setups for this chassis. i think it's likely negligible in onroad applications....?

also, i'd guess that if you could sense a difference, it wouldn't be how much, but how different. make any sense?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

thicker makes more traction,, find the fast guy at your track feel his car on the bench ya know up and down then try to out that same feel on your car ... the next time you got to a big race watch the factory guys the car that gets the most looked at gets all pushed around that the 'FEEL' that there looking for
Old 05-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Piston and oil combo depicks shock Pack. Large holes with thick oil will have less pack than small holes with thin oil. If you have a lot of areas that require quick direction changes more pack would be benificial in my mind. This will help keep the car from rotating too abruptly(assist in helping keep the car flatter and not allowing the weight to transfer as fast as fast) in the turns. But if the turns are sweeping and not so abrupt, less pack would be better by allowing the car to transfer weight to that side faster to maximize traction.

In off-road, I determine what pack to use depending on whether the track is very bumpy or if there are large jumps that causes the chassis to slap the ground. If really bumpy I use slightly less pack than a very smooth track. If the track is smooth with large jumps I like more pack to keep the vehicle flatter and keep the chassis from slapping the ground.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by T. Thomas
Piston and oil combo depicks shock Pack. Large holes with thick oil will have less pack than small holes with thin oil. If you have a lot of areas that require quick direction changes more pack would be benificial in my mind. This will help keep the car from rotating too abruptly(assist in helping keep the car flatter and not allowing the weight to transfer as fast as fast) in the turns. But if the turns are sweeping and not so abrupt, less pack would be better by allowing the car to transfer weight to that side faster to maximize traction.

In off-road, I determine what pack to use depending on whether the track is very bumpy or if there are large jumps that causes the chassis to slap the ground. If really bumpy I use slightly less pack than a very smooth track. If the track is smooth with large jumps I like more pack to keep the vehicle flatter and keep the chassis from slapping the ground.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the tips, you guys seem to have the same thoughts as i had..... I.E. That more pack gives more traction on smoother tighter tracks.

with regards to running less pack on faster more flowing tracks, i tend to run a bit more presure in the shock to allow the car to roll initally but not too much.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

i'm confused.

are you guys referring tot he following

thick oil less holes - more pack

thin oil more holes - less pack

and more pack is used on high grip/smooth tracks and less pack is used on lower grip but bumpier tracks?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

no, pack is not purely synonymous with dampening. pack is usually referred to as the dynamic dampening characteristics of the shock. what these guys are implying is that pack is related to the fluid velocity. pack is basically how much the dampening increases as the speed of the piston increases.

the orignal comparison, as i read it, is meant to compare two shocks that feel the same at low piston velocities, but different at higher velocities. it was stated that lighter oil and less area for it to flow through (smaller holes or less of them) causes the shock to "pack up" at high piston velocities. thicker oil with larger area for it to flow through is associated with a more linear dampening response to piston velocity.

again, as i read it, the comparison is not how much dampening to use, but what type of dampening or pack.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default listen to seaball

He has it right. We deal with this stuff in off road all the time.

Hey Seaball what car you runnin these days?

Hopefully I'll see ya this winter. School came first last winter but it is over now and I have a new job so hopefully I can come race with you guys.

Off road till then.

Later Chris
Old 05-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Default dude!

you've been missing out! The Gate is heating up! last week i just put down a chassis that i redesigned some stuff on. chicky helped me get everything cut out over the last few months. merely five days after the maiden voyage... and it's damn good. i've got the rest of the summer to get the missing 1% on the clock. we'll see.

it's a whole new crowd! we've got a tc3, some jrxs's, fk05's, and the mystery car runnin' things in the 'a' now.

what about you? what are you coming back with in the fall? you may want to reconsider this "off road" thing.