Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best kits/package/chassis for a Newbie RC Drifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Best kits/package/chassis for a Newbie RC Drifter

After all the research, I've laid my eyes at the TT-01D Type-E XB PRO. My question is that whether this would be the best thing to start of with in this hobby or is there any other chassis that is better as a 1st chassis for a person who just entered this hobby.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aliifmok
After all the research, I've laid my eyes at the TT-01D Type-E XB PRO. My question is that whether this would be the best thing to start of with in this hobby or is there any other chassis that is better as a 1st chassis for a person who just entered this hobby.

More or less it is as good as any other noob friendly starter type chassis. IF you like it, get it, drive it, break it, fix it, then do it all over again and then when you have an idea about RC and what you want to get out of it and what you enjoy, upgrade to a better car.

Pretty much there is no best starter car, they all have their pros and cons, If you dont mind building or having overseas parts support, the car i would get is the 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS. It is a chassis that will give you a lot of space to grow with.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
More or less it is as good as any other noob friendly starter type chassis. IF you like it, get it, drive it, break it, fix it, then do it all over again and then when you have an idea about RC and what you want to get out of it and what you enjoy, upgrade to a better car.

Pretty much there is no best starter car, they all have their pros and cons, If you dont mind building or having overseas parts support, the car i would get is the 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS. It is a chassis that will give you a lot of space to grow with.
how does it compare to the thunder tiger dx II?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Really depends what you wanna spend and how seriously you want to
Play. A thundertiger will drift but the car is gonna be a pos with pos electronics.
A good rtr to get into rc would be the team magic e4d.
If it was me, a sakura d3 chassis kit, turnigy trackstar 45-70 amp brushless esc or speed passion reventon s, turnigy or
Similar brushless motor maybe 8.5t at most.
Amain hobbies sells spectrum radios really
Cheap. You can get lipos, chargers, servos, brushless system ect for really cheap and either hobbypartz.com or hobbyking.com. Its all china crap but much better than what you will get in a thunderiger rtr.
Tamiya artr might not be too terrible...
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Tech Regular

the d3 is not the best place to start. it needs worlk/upgrades straight out of the box to become reliable and 2.17 counter steer ratio is far to high to start out with. the tt01 is the best basic kit out there with plenty of room for future modifications be it bolt on parts or eagle racing conversion kits which can transform these basic kits into giant slayers. a tamiya ta05 is worth a look to.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am new here and finally joined after 3 months of lurking. I think the TT01-D is a great starter car, I just bought two of them which I cant wait to receive . Both used but I was able to snatch up some great deals. I think you should definitely go with the TT01D.

Problem with the Sakura D3 is that it requires building, which can be fun, but can also discourage you. I know when mine gets here I don't want to waste ANY time building it.

Are you looking to drift ?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

I can't say I'm an expert here, but I owned a TT-01 Type E last year as my first car which I used mainly for drifting, and I will share my experience.

Yes, the TT-01 is a very good beginner car, damned nearly indestructible. However, IMO there are a few essential upgrades this thing needs:
- aluminum centre shaft
- ball bearings
- steering rack
- front universal swingshafts
- the front CVDs from 3racing will also require you to use either the 3racing diffs or outdrives.
- oil-filled shocks

I list these upgrades since the plastic shaft rattles like crazy, on mine it was hard to get proper trim and the steering was sloppy with the stock steering rack, and without CVDs, my front dogbones would fly out and I needed help from 2 other guys to find them. To be fair, this only happened because I did some mods to increase the steering angle, but I felt it was necessary since in its stock form, the TT-01 does not have enough steering angle for drifting.

After that, it was a very good machine for drifting with 50-50 ratio, but the way I see it, it is not worth putting any more money into and it does not leave much room to grow if you wish to get onto on-road racing.

I am currently using a China clone of TRF416 with some modified steering and a few parts replaced for durability. It also handles nicely for drifting and I will be starting my first season of stock TC with it, but I think in a month or two I will purchase a Sakura Zero S to dedicate to stock TC and re-tune my clone 416 for drifting. For what the 3racing chassis will cost, it's actually not much more than a TT-01 for something a lot more tunable.

I should add, if you are doing mainly drifting, I would still suggest a Sakura Zero S. 50-50 gearing in its stock form which you can learn, and down the road the belt drive makes it easy to change gearing to CS. On my clone 416 I am using mostly Sakura Zero parts to get around 1.72 CS.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gctkaz
I can't say I'm an expert here, but I owned a TT-01 Type E last year as my first car which I used mainly for drifting, and I will share my experience.

Yes, the TT-01 is a very good beginner car, damned nearly indestructible. However, IMO there are a few essential upgrades this thing needs:
- aluminum centre shaft
- ball bearings
- steering rack
- front universal swingshafts
- the front CVDs from 3racing will also require you to use either the 3racing diffs or outdrives.
- oil-filled shocks

I list these upgrades since the plastic shaft rattles like crazy, on mine it was hard to get proper trim and the steering was sloppy with the stock steering rack, and without CVDs, my front dogbones would fly out and I needed help from 2 other guys to find them. To be fair, this only happened because I did some mods to increase the steering angle, but I felt it was necessary since in its stock form, the TT-01 does not have enough steering angle for drifting.

After that, it was a very good machine for drifting with 50-50 ratio, but the way I see it, it is not worth putting any more money into and it does not leave much room to grow if you wish to get onto on-road racing.

I am currently using a China clone of TRF416 with some modified steering and a few parts replaced for durability. It also handles nicely for drifting and I will be starting my first season of stock TC with it, but I think in a month or two I will purchase a Sakura Zero S to dedicate to stock TC and re-tune my clone 416 for drifting. For what the 3racing chassis will cost, it's actually not much more than a TT-01 for something a lot more tunable.

I should add, if you are doing mainly drifting, I would still suggest a Sakura Zero S. 50-50 gearing in its stock form which you can learn, and down the road the belt drive makes it easy to change gearing to CS. On my clone 416 I am using mostly Sakura Zero parts to get around 1.72 CS.

Hey the TT01 I just purchased comes with the following hop ups (bought it used)

TT01E Kit with Front Motor Conversion
-Lundsford Titanium Turnbuckles
-RPM Ball Cups
-Upgraded front CVD's
-Upgraded Propeller Shaft
-Active Hobby Countersteer Diff kit
-Ball Bearings throughout
-Tamiya Disk Brake/Intercooler accessories kit

What do you see missing that should be on this list? I am looking to drift. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Why not a sakura sezo s, it will be good to start with because it don't have CS, have alot of upgrades and you can CS it later if you like.