Wiki Posts
Search

HPI E-10 Speed Increase

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI E-10 Speed Increase

OK,
So I have a HPI E-10 drift rc. Works great. But... It has a 27t motor in it, which is not great for me since I am trying to increase the speed. What would happen if I put a 15 or 12t motor in it?
Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

First you would need to adjust the gearing, going down to a smaller pinion. Then you would go faster for a little while and probably fry the ESC. Not sure what ESC you got in the box but it's probably unable to handle anything hotter than the 27T. Don't spend money on brushed stuff, really. My advice would in fact be not to spend a penny hopping up your E10 since it's really a super low-end car. No hop up will ever make it good, or even okay.

If you want to go faster without changing the car yet, a good idea would be to get a good mid-level sensored brushless combo that you will be able to use on your next car.

HTH
Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Rookie

OK, thanks. So if I were to get a new car for not a lot of $$$, what would you recommend?
Humor me for a moment, if I had a chunk of money, what would you recommend on the high end of on-road cars?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

I you want a TC: Xray T4 without a doubt. I am kind of an Xray fan but honestly it's hard not to be after you've owned one. I could give a lot of reasons but I'm lazy and don't want to start a debate anyway. Let's just say I'm really picky and this brand never disappointed me.

But in your case, The spec-r S1 or R1 seem hard to beat for the price. Before anyone accuses me of being biased towards them, I don't own one or even remotely plan to, they just seem unbeatable for the price. Not saying they're perfect, but they're just as fast as any other TC out there for us mere mortals, with a good fit/ finish/ robustness overall.

I'll let others give you advice about a good BL combo, I'm not an expert and it depends on what you want to do anyway ( speed runs? drifting? stock racing? if so, Blinky or boosted? Modified ?) and it also depends on what you are going to want to do, because for instance, once you've spent one afternoon racing with a good handling car you might totally forget about drifting and become hooked up on racing. Speed passion and Hobbywing would be the first brands I'd check if I were in the market for one. There are many, many others though.

Allow me to insist on a good sensored ESC. It's worth the extra cash, no question. Anyway I'd choose an updateable ESC, with a blinky profile and the possibility to run boost and at the least a mild mod ( 7,5turn- ish). It's a way of being able to run pretty much what you want or must within your abilities, without having to buy a better or different speedo after a while.

As far as motor is concerned, I'm no expert but I feel like anything faster than 13.5 blinky in a drift car is pointless.

For stock racing, 17.5 seems popular in the US, esp. blinky. Ask at your local track what are the rules.

For speed runs- sky's the limit!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

double post.

Last edited by heretic; 04-03-2013 at 04:09 PM.