Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Build a Schumacher Mi1 >

Build a Schumacher Mi1

Build a Schumacher Mi1

Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Build a Schumacher Mi1

Hello,

I have spent along time lurking, and I finally know what I want, but I would like some advice on the other components. I want very good handling, but I am limited on budget, so I really like the Schumacher Mi1, and I think I would really enjoy building it. But I need a Motor, ESC, Controller, Servo, Battery, and Battery Charger.

I dont want to spend more than $350, and since I can get free shipping from A Main Hobbies, I would like to buy there. The Schumacher Mi1 costs $164, that would leave $186 to buy the other components.

I really only need speeds of about 30 mph, I would like a motor that could go faster with better batteries, if possible. I also have a RedCat Racing Lightning EPX PRO, which is fully working, so I could rip parts off of that if necessary. Let me know what I should get.

Thanks,
Mercedes 190 E
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I found the reventon pro 17.5 combo on ebay for 153 shipped. Also, remember to use amain discount coded
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
I found the reventon pro 17.5 combo on ebay for 153 shipped. Also, remember to use amain discount coded
That seems like a good motor, thanks! Also I tried the code and it came back as invalid, is there another one?

Thanks,
Mercedes 190 E
Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would suggest getting a set of front hubs, Upper and lower front arms and front hinge pins as spares. Probably another pair of plastic drive shafts too.

The Mi1 is very durable, these are recommended spares for any car.

I ran Schumacher cars for years. You will like the Mi1. With a good setup it can still hold its own. Especially in a class like USVTA.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I would suggest getting a set of front hubs, Upper and lower front arms and front hinge pins as spares. Probably another pair of plastic drive shafts too.

The Mi1 is very durable, these are recommended spares for any car.

I ran Schumacher cars for years. You will like the Mi1. With a good setup it can still hold its own. Especially in a class like USVTA.
Hey, I noticed that you mentioned about racing classes, I located a track does on road (Florida Indoor R/C Complex) but those are carpeted tracks, will I need a different type of tyre, or can I just use road slicks? Finally how do tracks take it if you modify your car's aerodynamics? Would they ban the car? I was planning on making a front wing, rear wing, flat floor, diffuser, and possibly use fans to stick the car to the road. If there is a rule book could you please send me a link?

Thanks,
Mercedes 190 E
Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That doesn't leave much for the list you have. What class are you wanting to run in or are you just bashing? A lot depends on what your intentions are.

Gens Ace batteries are a good inexpensive option. Which cell count and C rating also depends on intended purpose.

Motor and ESC depend on class and track rules, if you intend on racing.

Hi-Tec X1 charger is a good value and a balancing charger. You will need a LiPo bag to charge in.

I personally like Spekrum servos and I use the S6070 as it is low profile and fast with metal gears.

Your current radio and receiver are digital capable?

More information and we can make better suggestions!

Last edited by nubie-wan; 04-01-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Fixed some spelling.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by nubie-wan
That doesn't leave much for the list you have. What class are you wanting to run in or are you just bashing? A lot depends on what your intentions are.

Gens Ace batteries are a good inexpensive option. Which cell count and C rating also depends on intended purpose.

Motor and ESC depend on class and track rules, if you intend on racing.

Hi-Tec X1 charger is a good value and a balancing charger. You will need a LiPo bag to charge in.

I personally like Spekrum servos and I use the S6070 as it is low profile and fast with metal gears.

Your current radio and receiver are digital capable?

More information and we can make better suggestions!
I know that they work decently, I was going to pull the radio, receiver and servo out of a Red Cat Racing Lightning EPX Pro (http://www.redcatracing.com/Lightning-EPX-PRO). The receiver is a RCR-2C (http://www.redcatracing.com/RCR-2C-Reciever), the servo is a Hexfly HX-3CP (http://www.redcatracing.com/3KG-SERV...category=21774), and the radio is a RCR-2CNR 2.4GHz Radio (http://www.redcatracing.com/RCR-2C_3). Can I just reuse these?

For motors, again I have no idea what I am doing, spunkysandoval mentioned the Reventon Pro 17.5 combo for about $153, and it seems like a good motor, but on a scale of 1 (RedCat Racing Lightning EPX Pro) - 10 (Traxxas XO-1) where would you rank it? I would prefer something around $100, but I dont want it to be slow, so I will pay extra for the better motor.

As for batteries I am clueless, could I just use a NiMH that I have, but they use banana connectors, would that still work? If not could I just get a fast Lipo, and a basic 8 hour charger?

I want to do class racing, but I have no idea where to begin. I like on road, and I like tarmac, but I don't know what else there is. I am not that great, but I want to learn and I think I can drive decently after a LOT of practice. Some recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mercedes 190 E
Old 04-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

# 1 tip dont spend your money twice twice.
go to your local track and ask what class you can race in and what gear you can use.
they will help out lots and you might even find a used great starter car cheap
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TeamThibault
# 1 tip dont spend your money twice twice.
go to your local track and ask what class you can race in and what gear you can use.
they will help out lots and you might even find a used great starter car cheap
Agree. Go to the track first and see what the other guys are running. You might change your whole list around.