R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #361
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Grid RC View Post
Oops, my bad. meant to say, milliohm. Working on another project "mega" that kept mega in my head all day.
No biggie, the prefixes can be confusing. Cheers.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #362
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
This is different than some of the other chargers. My charger did the same thing and found that the maintain voltage optioned provided the fix that I was looking for.

good luck
This helped a lot... But I'm still searching for another .05 to .1 more... I have played with some of the settings and we are getting closer to the magic 8.39 to 8.40. Again, this is me learning and playing.. No this will not help my driving skills... I'm just trying to figure out how to change the ending voltage, in case that day comes when the race director has meter out and I need to make a small adjustment down to pass tech...

What I did notice after cycling them (on different settings) the IR got better with each charge..... I fear that I had my packs a little out of whack...

The icharger as to be one of the best investments I have made...

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #363
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
This helped a lot... But I'm still searching for another .05 to .1 more... I have played with some of the settings and we are getting closer to the magic 8.39 to 8.40. Again, this is me learning and playing.. No this will not help my driving skills... I'm just trying to figure out how to change the ending voltage, in case that day comes when the race director has meter out and I need to make a small adjustment down to pass tech...

What I did notice after cycling them (on different settings) the IR got better with each charge..... I fear that I had my packs a little out of whack...

The icharger as to be one of the best investments I have made...
Looks like racers are buying new ichargers.
I have seen about 6-10 GFX chargers for sale going as low as $100.00

The iCharger IS the new GFX
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #364
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default pl6

Since i got a pl6 on order who has been using this to charge at those amps i here this will be a work horse of a charger. im looking for a thread really cant find nothing on it.
Hotbodies D812
Hotbodies ve8 Tekin 2050
imrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #365
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrob View Post
Since i got a pl6 on order who has been using this to charge at those amps i here this will be a work horse of a charger. im looking for a thread really cant find nothing on it.
It all depends on your battery. If it is a 6500mah pack that says you can charge at 2c, then you can safely charge it at 13a. If it says 6c... push it to 39a (6.5 x 6) if your power supply can keep up.

Copy generic high power charge from the library and paste to preset 1 with your laptop connected to the PL by the dongle. Click on library preset and hit edit tab at the top to copy & paste.

At the bottom of this page under support there are three different sites that revolectrix answers questions on...
http://www.revolectrix.com/pl6_description_tab.htm
fq06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #366
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
It all depends on your battery. If it is a 6500mah pack that says you can charge at 2c, then you can safely charge it at 13a. If it says 6c... push it to 39a (6.5 x 6) if your power supply can keep up.

Copy generic high power charge from the library and paste to preset 1 with your laptop connected to the PL by the dongle. Click on library preset and hit edit tab at the top to copy & paste.

At the bottom of this page under support there are three different sites that revolectrix answers questions on...
http://www.revolectrix.com/pl6_description_tab.htm
yes i think im reading to much and throwing me off cause i dont have it yet. sometime next week it should be here. or at least from there manual any ways.
Hotbodies D812
Hotbodies ve8 Tekin 2050
Old 05-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #367
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrob View Post
yes i think im reading to much and throwing me off cause i dont have it yet. sometime next week it should be here. or at least from there manual any ways.
There's a ton of settings to tweak in the profiles but most are fine as is. I pulled my end voltage down to 4.18 per cell and balance before charge is ended and that's it from memory.
You can then set the charge rate and name it after that pack. Then copy it and change the charge rate for another pack. So if you have 3 different packs that all have a different max charge rate you can have three different profiles to match each of your packs. Or just run one profile and change the charge rate on the charger in the start up menu as you go through the day.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #368
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
There's a ton of settings to tweak in the profiles but most are fine as is. I pulled my end voltage down to 4.18 per cell and balance before charge is ended and that's it from memory.
You can then set the charge rate and name it after that pack. Then copy it and change the charge rate for another pack. So if you have 3 different packs that all have a different max charge rate you can have three different profiles to match each of your packs. Or just run one profile and change the charge rate on the charger in the start up menu as you go through the day.
yes that is what i will do when i get it all. i did read that whole thred on the other one you gave me. i bet once i get it and start pusing the button it will come to me. i just hope it not like a pc cause dang i never figure these out. This is coming a long way from finally giving up nhim and nicads. hey what is dasiey chaining do you know
Hotbodies D812
Hotbodies ve8 Tekin 2050
Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #369
Tech Champion

Yeah, once you have set it up on your computer your done. Just connect to your power supply and choose the profile that matches your pack and go.

Light years ahead of NI-MH
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #370
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Bumping this with a question..

I've been looking into the ProTek Prodigy 620 Duo and it states that input voltage is from 12-18v, but 15+ is recommended when charging at 20a. I was planning on getting a converted 40a+ server power supply as a power source for the charger. However, I know that PSUs supply 12v power.

Now, I don't plan on charging at 20a per port all the time ( probably very seldomly). I plan on charging around 12-15a most of the time. Do I still need to look into getting a 15-18v PSU or would the server PSU be ok?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #371
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post

I've been looking into the ProTek Prodigy 620 Duo and it states that input voltage is from 12-18v, but 15+ is recommended when charging at 20a. I was planning on getting a converted 40a+ server power supply as a power source for the charger. However, I know that PSUs supply 12v power.

Now, I don't plan on charging at 20a per port all the time ( probably very seldomly). I plan on charging around 12-15a most of the time. Do I still need to look into getting a 15-18v PSU or would the server PSU be ok?
Your fine with the 12 volt power supply.
Anything above 240 watts your OK!
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #372
Tech Adept

Quote:

there are TONNES of threads on rcgroups - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005309

On topic, yes, i do charge at over 20a, only because i paralell charge a lot now, my powerlab 8 1300w charger is fantastic for it, just put 6 of my 6000mah batteries on it, put it on 32a and in about 30 mins they are all charged and perfectly and evenly balanced
Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #373
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ok so I'll have no problems charging dual 20a on a 69a 835w PSU?

I'm all in now!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #374
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

Quote:
Ok so I'll have no problems charging dual 20a on a 69a 835w PSU?

I'm all in now!
Guys, you gotta be careful here. There is a reason why mfg have recommendation on voltage supply. All chargers have a max current rating to the charger.

If you are charging dual 2s packs with 20amp each, you maybe fine on a low voltage power supply. But if you are charging dual 6s packs with 20amp each, you may need to do the calculations to see what voltage rating you need.

Note that the higher voltage your power supply is, the less current that is required.
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #375
Tech Adept

What's the highest rate I can charge at for a Protek 1S, 5,800mah, 100c, pack for 12th scale? I'm in need of saving time between heats. I have a icharger 206b with a 20amp power supply rated at 350 watts.

Thanks,
Tanis103 is offline   Reply With Quote