R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #211
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for the heat wrap? Having a hard time find someone locally or on line for a reasonable price.
I've looked for some time. A carbon fiber sticker/wrap looks pretty good.
jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #212
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (97%+)

Really elementary question here for you knowledgeable guys.......

I have an iCharge 306B+. It's capable of a 30amp charge. So, how do I charge my 2s battery (5000mah) to beyond 4.2/cell?

Ok, just answer after you stop laughing......
shagnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #213
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagnat View Post

I have an iCharge 306B+. It's capable of a 30amp charge. So, how do I charge my 2s battery (5000mah) to beyond 4.2/cell?

You dont, unless you want your batteries to end up like Fukushima.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #214
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Download the I306b manual... Most charge to 4.22v ,but if your club don't Check voltage, they will all charge higher than that....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #215
Tech Champion

Cool

In this high amp charging world it would seem that the best charging solution out there would be the ”Dual Threat”: the I 4010b + Mean well power Supply in synchronous mode to charge lipos at up to 70amps !!! Pricetag $900....OUCH......
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #216
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
In this high amp charging world it would seem that the best charging solution out there would be the ”Dual Threat”: the I 4010b + Mean well power Supply in synchronous mode to charge lipos at up to 70amps !!! Pricetag $900....OUCH......
Nope. The 4010I charger and a 15.00 computer server power supply from Ebay and I can charge 2 2S packs at 40 amps each at the same time. Power supply doesnt even get warm. Ive charged a 2S and 4S at the same time at 40 as well with no issues. I dont have 2 4S packs to try at the same time.

I can charge a 2S at 70 amps in synchronous mode on mine as well with no issues. At 40 amps the 4010 I charger only pulls about 17-18 amps from the supply per side.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #217
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagnat View Post

I'd say if you can't figure it out, surely it's a sign you should not be doing it, I'm mildly disturbed as it is that I know many chargers can be told to over charge by quite some margin.

I worry just a tiny bit about making it easy knowledge to find out the how, as you'd just get more inexperienced guys blowing up packs doing it.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #218
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
The ONLY thing that charging at higher amps will do is: Charge the battery faster, cut down on the life of the pack (from 300 cycles to 200 cycles maybe all speculation), and it will warm the pack internally which will decrease IR and increase voltage. But with all the big races checking battery temp it will not help as it wont pass tech.

The heat is the only reason it increases the voltage and lowers IR. If you let the pack cool to room temp and check it it will be the same as if you charged it at 5 amps. I have yet to see a charger that has any special voodoo built in that will charge and make a battery faster without using heat.

Ive been charging at 40 amps since December with the ICharger Duo 4010 came out. I raced every week all the way up till the birds. I only keep two packs to my name at a time. I practice and race on those two packs every week in TC. Those packs are still good today as they were new in December. The 40 amps thus far has not shown any ill effects at all. Generally when I go to the track its 4-5 charges per pack per day. There were some 3 day races in there too.

The pack I won the birds with was charged at 40 amps every single charge. I used it in both 17.5 and 13.5 TC all week in every practice and every race. Then I sent it to Josh Cyrul and he did the same with it in Modified and 13.5 sedan which he won both classes. That battery was put through hell and still cycles the same as it did when it was new a week before the birds.

The key to keeping batteries fresh is USING THEM! And making sure they dont sit with a full charge or zero charge in them. Not being used is a Lipo's worst enemy I have found.

EA

EA
What brand of battery were you using??
tajar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #219
Tech Champion

Nobody will opt for that computer power Supply and risk a $350 charger with a cheap power Supply ... Most will shell the cash anyway to Ensure the warranty, but if you found your way around it, good for you, eventhough it's still $360+.... Have you tried 70amps charging??? If so, anymore benefits ???
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #220
Team EAM

Quote:
Nobody will opt for that computer power Supply and risk a $350 charger with a cheap power Supply ... Most will shell the cash anyway to Ensure the warranty, but if you found your way around it, good for you, eventhough it's still $360+.... Have you tried 70amps charging??? If so, anymore benefits ???
Yea well if they still choose to buy the over priced power supplies that are not needed then they deserve the extra money they are spending. The computer server supplies are not "cheap" by any means. They are designed to run huge servers and provide a lot of power. They are very expensive when new but the large companies replace them as maintenance to keep from having any issues and loosing a lot of business. When they do they sell them off cheap to get rid of them.

Using one of the computer supplies will have zero effect on your warranty. How the hell do they know what type of power supply you were using anyway? It shouldnt matter. Its a 12V or 24V power supply....thats all that is required.

EA
Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #221
Tech Champion

Well I guess you have not tried charging at 70amps , but I think progressiverc did the right thing by including an appropriate power Supply with their I4010 chargers, so newbies won't feel overwhelmed, eventhough the price is pretty steep... I know you won't argue with me when I say your experience is extreme compared to most newbies here ! Hope to see a 70amp charge rate comparison in the near future....
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #222
Team EAM

Quote:
Well I guess you have not tried charging at 70amps , but I think progressiverc did the right thing by including an appropriate power Supply with their I4010 chargers, so newbies won't feel overwhelmed, eventhough the price is pretty steep... I know you won't argue with me when I say your experience is extreme compared to most newbies here ! Hope to see a 70amp charge rate comparison in the near future....
Yes I have charged at 70 amps with no issues at all. No need to post my results here. It worked fine for me with no issues at all but I dont advise it to anyone here that doesnt have the proper knowledge of how to do it, what safty precautions HAVE to be followed etc. And I didnt feel like answer 1300 pm's about how to do it and what the gains were.

EA
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #223
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajar66 View Post
EA
What brand of battery were you using??
His own brand.
JiuHaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #224
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Yes I have charged at 70 amps with no issues at all. No need to post my results here. It worked fine for me with no issues at all but I dont advise it to anyone here that doesnt have the proper knowledge of how to do it, what safty precautions HAVE to be followed etc. And I didnt feel like answer 1300 pm's about how to do it and what the gains were.

EA
70amps!
JiuHaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #225
Tech Champion

Zero pm's when posting the results here for everybody to see ! I guess it was not really a big difference from charging at 40amps , since you competed charging at 40amps..... Anyway, it's good to know someone is out there pushing the envelope, and doing what we don't dare to do...... Thanks for sharing, and NO I am not pulling your chain : that's just me..... Very persistant when it comes down to knowledge, that's all !!! Hope to race you someday. See you.....