Wiki Posts
Search

Who charging 20+ amps or more now??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Well hopefully the guy was at least using a lipo sack. Any idea what type of battery it was and what charger? There are only a few that go to 40 amps that I know of.

EA
I really don't know what equipment he was using. I'll ask the person who put out the fire on what type of charger and battery that racer was using. That local racer with his stuff catch on fire quit racing almost 1 year now.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MDawson
The cost of enforcement is high. There are rarely enough race directors to patrol voltages, weight, charging, mod rotors in stock stators, stock stators.

As for the hit of 300 to 200 cycles - as soon as my packs hit a certain range of IR they are relegated to practice packs. That is well over 100 cycles but dont keep packs beyond 140+ cycles.

Lot's of craziness in Stock club racing. it's a 17.5 can and it's legal.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Julius
Wouldn't it make more sense to limit charge rates at 2c? That means no hot lipo's and as we are all doing it it makes no relative difference in performance.

Let me finish by mentioning, I do not doubt all of your intricat knowledge of lipo charging and behaviour. I just detest that there is a new technology race starting that is completely unnescessary, as the 'advantage' of high amp charging is only an advantage when the rest isn't. Unfortunately we will probably head the expensive way. Again....
Hi Julius - At the club race level it seems that most are well below the 2C level regardless if their packs are manufacturer rated above that.

High amp charging has been around for a while. Somewhat in the camp of the black art of motor tuning. Most of the guys I compete with do well because they have a complete package - not because they have some trick high amp setup.

It all depends on type of racing and track. Good conversation.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Lot's of craziness in Stock club racing. it's a 17.5 can and it's legal.
That is part that is a nightmare btw. It isnt stock racing anymore. We might as well be racing mod. I bet if tracks started checking inductance and rotors at stock level - the world order of who is fast in club racing would change.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Hi Julius - At the club race level it seems that most are well below the 2C level regardless if their packs are manufacturer rated above that.

High amp charging has been around for a while. Somewhat in the camp of the black art of motor tuning. Most of the guys I compete with do well because they have a complete package - not because they have some trick high amp setup.

It all depends on type of racing and track. Good conversation.
I agree with this 100%. I dont charge at 40 amps all the time. Just when I think its necessary. Like if I am in a rush to practice or a big race. For club racing its usually 10-12 amps like most guys I race with. For off road I have been beating my saddle pack up a lot lately as I have been hitting it at 40 amps to practice all I can since I suck at off road still. 40 amps doesnt help go any faster on off road except I get twice the practice in which deff helps in off road for me!

EA
Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Does anyone know if the Powerlab 8 has adjustable cutoff?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Well hopefully the guy was at least using a lipo sack. Any idea what type of battery it was and what charger? There are only a few that go to 40 amps that I know of.

EA
I really don't know what equipment he was using. I'll ask the person who put out the fire on what type of charger and battery that racer was using. That local racer with his stuff catch on fire quit racing almost 1 year now.
PL8, 65c TP lipo + Lipo bag

Fire shot up about 6ft high, in a 4ft radius

Singed the back of my neck in the process
Dude wasn't at his pit table, lucky for him, as he would have been seriously injured

My pit bag still has remnants of flame retardant
Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
Does anyone know if the Powerlab 8 has adjustable cutoff?
Yes. Most performance chargers have varying range of cut-off.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'll rock up to a meet, and regularly hit my packs with 10amps, usually cause I just want them charged quickly, I'd happily hit them with 20amps, but I was too cheap to buy the 20amp icharger.

I'd say most race packs should easily cope with 2C these days, can't say high amp charging me worries me as much as say charging with a bad quality charger, or maybe charging without balancing connected, and risk a run away cell failure.

These days whenever I read about some LiPo fire etc, I always think of the chargers, and my early B6 type clones, which had the most awful accuracy and terrible calibration.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
I'll rock up to a meet, and regularly hit my packs with 10amps, usually cause I just want them charged quickly, I'd happily hit them with 20amps, but I was too cheap to buy the 20amp icharger.
+1. I used to use a 5A charger, but it left me screwed if I forgot to charge, or wanted to get in a last-minute practice run. At 10A, it'll fill my batteries fast enough that I can run two classes, and still have the battery for each car done with plenty of time to re-check the setup with the battery in the car.

-Mike
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

Roar should update their previous rule to 2C or 3C , just to avoid these fires and clubs should also emphasize that racers need to watch their equipment when charging... For that same reason I stay aware of any packs charging in my vicinity, whether it's mine or not : if it starts bloating, I go into action and shut the charger Off and disconnect the pack... I won't lose my stuff because of someone else's negligence. I have seen too many racers chatting, totally oblivious of their packs charging: it's unreal how irresponsible some are !!! I must admit though that I'd prefer having alert racers around me charging at 40amps than distracted types charging at 1C .... 360v2 where I use to race closed because of One of these fires and I hope all other clubs will take notes and enforce charging rules to avoid being closed down ...
You guys push the envelope Racing but I also push the envelope debating here on RCtech.... You call it jabs , I call it a test of your convictions. If you really believe in what you're doing, then you shouldn't have any problem responding to opposite views here, without any emotional rants or nervous breakdowns...
IT'S NOT PERSONAL, IT'S RACING !!!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Tech Champion

By the way, even marshalling is dangerous when cars breakdown and get put aside WITHOUT disconnecting the battery from the speed control !!! No battery should be left plugged in when not in use, period .... Abide by these rules and you'll be the perfect marshall... Peace...
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 PM
avs
Tech Master

I don't know what happened but I know that the guy that had his battery catch on fire was playing around with different chargers from week to week at the time.
Francis, it was my understanding that he was pushing the voltage as well, which may the more hazardous behavior than the higher charge current.

apparently it was necessary for someone to put out the fire, as he was on the stand and continued his run!! i haven't seen him there in a while, and i do feel more secure.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
. 360v2 where I use to race closed because of One of these fires
Really? I was told it was closed down because they didnt have proper bath rooms and running water to the building and someone complained to codes. Never heard of the lipo fire excuse there.... At least thats what Donnie had said.....The owner

EA
Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 AM
Tech Champion

Code violations were discovered after the fire department came in because of a lipo fire... Had it not been for that fire, we would've had a great season !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.