R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default getting back into the hobby

Well im looking to fill up some of my time. I pulled the old hpi rs4 sport 2 out. Im pretty green at this. Im looking to get a new steering servo but not sure what to get and where to start. Any help would be great thanks.
dharvey518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dharvey518 View Post
Well im looking to fill up some of my time. I pulled the old hpi rs4 sport 2 out. Im pretty green at this. Im looking to get a new steering servo but not sure what to get and where to start. Any help would be great thanks.
Get a good digital servo. I believe the savox stuff is very popular and cost effective but I prefer Futaba. Something like the BLS451.
A good 2.4GHz radio system is also a big plus. Again I am a futaba fan.
Get a charger that can handle LiPo batteries if you dont already have one. They are vastly superior to old NiMh stuff.
ATXPro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I was holing not to buy all that stuff all at once. I have a am radio' old duratrax digital charger. my stuff is like 10 years old. I really dont know what would be the best upgrade just assumed i should start with the steering. maybe i Am wrong any better ideas on what i should i upgrade first
Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ideally you want to get a brushless ESC/motor, along with LiPo batteries. Check out some of the Hobbywing esc/motor combos. They're very cost effective for someone looking to just get a low cost setup.

Falconsekido.com is the best place to order Hobbywing items. Be sure to use the promo code RCT4U for a bit of a discount.

Also the savox servos are also an excellent low cost choice. For an onroad car, the low profile Savox 1251 has more than enough torque as well as being fast enough for anything.
Xray | Airtronics | R1Wurks LiPo | Hobbywing
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Thank you for all the responcses. I was thinking of going towards burshless and getting the old brushed motor out of the car. I was looking at duratrax brushell stuff r they any good. Also would a digital servo Work with my reciver? Its a towerhobbies reciver but thats all i know.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Not sure what your exact brushless needs are, but right now, http://www.falconsekido.com has some HobbyWing esc/motor combos on sale. I just ordered their 90A Xerun esc and 10.5 motor combo, arrived in 2 days from Los Angeles to St. Louis with free shipping to boot. Used their 60A Xerun esc last season in a 17.5 carpet oval class and it worked great. Never used their motors before, giving this 10.5 a try on a dirt oval in SCT based class.

* One note, the only way I think there is to upgrade the firmware is to get the LCD Program Box, the LED one only allows you to change options on the esc, not change the firmware. The LCD box is the one that comes with the cheaper combos.
MasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Are you going to be racing? drifting? or just bashing? the equipment for them can be quite different. for just bashing around the cost can be much lower.
Yokomo BD5 - Yokomo BD7 - Futaba - Hobbywing - Reedy - Savox
gom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #8

You should visit your nearest RC club and check which RC Cars and the radios they are using. Then go to hobby shop and have the one that is used more rarely around you because if there's any problem you can contact your club members they will guide you or you can go to hobby shop for the help..
sid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

First thing i would suggest after this long time is to rebuild the car. Check for damage, replace worn out parts, bearings, etc ...
As long as its just about bashing around i would start with the electronics i have and then upgrade in this order:
-Lipo-Batteries and Charger (more power and much easier to handle IMO)
-Brushless-Combo (Xerun would be my choice as well for bashing)
-2,4 GHz Radio (not really necessary but it feels good to be up to date)
-faster servo if u feel like u need it (im using Savx and i like it)

If u find out that u really want to start racing then IMO u should not spend to much money for upgrading this old chassis, but sell it and invest in a modern TC. There r some pretty good low-cost chassis available and for serious racing one of them would be the better choice. As said before in this case u should go to a local club and see what classes they run and what cars r popular there.

Hope this helps
Xray T4 / LRP Sxx Mod+Stock / X12 17.5t / Sanwa MX-V
naaarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

If you think you might want to race, keep that chassis! It'll be a good one for the USVTA series and help keep costs down especially. You can run brushed motors and speed controls in VTA as well as NIMH battery packs but the rules state 4 cell packs instead of the typical 6 cell packs that Touring cars used to run before 2005.

Just some food for thought if you plan on getting back into racing, VTA is the cheapest way that I know of.

I spent $275 (I already had batteries and charger in lipo form) to get my Associated TC3 back up and running for VTA racing. Had I needed batteries Hobbypartz.com has a couple great chargers for fairly cheap along with batteries.

Thunder AC6 is something like $55 shipped and it'll charge a huge range of batteries. Thunder AC680 is a updated version of the AC6 with a fan, higher charging rate but same platform for $10 more shipped. Hobbypartz also has Gens Ace 2s 40c 5000mah lipo packs for right around $35 shipped to your door. Best bang for you buck items right there that for getting back into RC won't break your bank too much!

I have the AC6 and AC680, The AC6 is 2.5 years old and still going strong I just upgraded to the AC680 for the higher charging rate and love it too.
Mike Zadler
Associated TC3 VTA & TC6 USGT
Tamiya M-05
AudioStylz is offline   Reply With Quote