Wiki Posts
Search

stock racers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default stock racers

Hi guys i have a psychological problem about stock motors and their drag effect.

My car's rear end is very loose in corner entry off powered.
The way i think of it is that the drag effect of the motor is sending abit of the brake power to the rear diff making the car swinging out like using hand brakes on a real car.

Now i was wondering if its just my setup or is this how it is with stock motors and cars with front one ways?

all comments appreciated!

cheers
Old 04-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

if you reduce the amount of "up travel" the rear of your car has with the "droop" screws this may help, it also can help to give your throttle trim a couple clicks up to right before the car starts rolling
Old 04-28-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Turtlemaster
if you reduce the amount of "up travel" the rear of your car has with the "droop" screws this may help, it also can help to give your throttle trim a couple clicks up to right before the car starts rolling
DITO....
It really helps to take the drag brake out with the radio settings.
try that and if there is still a problem. Check your droop and if there is still a problem then there is something binding in your rear end. Take out and clean/relube your bearings....
After that I have to see the car to be able to give more advice.
Stephen <><
Old 04-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my car was doing this last time i was out. using less droop can help, i also layed my rear shocks down 1 hole and used a stiffer spring. This was on carpet w/foams btw

made the A
Old 04-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

i just back it into the turns...ex motorcycle racer!!! i tried a rear oneway, witch worked well, but im more comfortable swinging the ass around.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

you can try and increase the throttle trim on your radio and make the car roll a bit at neutral....this will take away a lot of the off-throttle twitch effect.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by mafiaracers
you can try and increase the throttle trim on your radio and make the car roll a bit at neutral....this will take away a lot of the off-throttle twitch effect.
yah, alot of competitive stock racers set their cars up to have enough steering to be able to run the car with roll in it. as in, you'll have to actually apply the brake to get it to sit still on the line. not only will this smooth the on/off power transition, but you will likely maintain more cornerspeed as a result.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

thats a whole bunch guys
i will try to limit my rear droop
and apply brakes when the car is going straight before entering the corner to keep the speeds abit lower.
I've already done the throttle trim so that the car wants to move foward at netural. so i hope with the 2 things above i will gain a more settled car.

cheers once again
Old 04-29-2005, 03:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

your probably to used to driving gas cars if u need to use brake for stock
Old 04-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

I don't really use brakes at all in stock racing as I perfer a front one way. It really helps carry more cornering speed and we all know that is what you want. But it took me more than a month to get use to using it. It takes time but with a one way you can really improve your laptimes....But like with anything practice is what is required.
I would suggest you get help from one of your local fast guys that are driving your model car, they can tell you what works best for the track you are running. Most of them should help but don't get discuraged as some people are not nice.
When I first started I had to ask a million questions....Heck if you go over to the Yok BD forum I don;t stop asking questions...I try to learn the car so well that I know what to adjust when I don't like what the car is doing...
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 04-29-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by mafiaracers
Ya do that. And make sure you take all the brake out of your esc. That should help.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default Car ?? Which one are you having prob

I was wondering reading your post what car you were having the problem with, and the set up on the car, and kind of racing and what tires, etc...

But seriously if you are running the 415 with the one way, if you let off of the throttle to enter a corner you will get a lot of steering and the back end can seem loose and even spin out(drag brake makes this situation worse).

2cents
Old 04-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

To me....brakes are only required to slow you down! and who wants to do that!!! When the car's rolling, the weight trnasfer is smoother and the car feels much more consistant and predictable. It allows the car to carve more rather than being too much of a "point and shoot" feel.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

thanks guys for the contiuning help.

i've acutally ran one ways in nitro cars before to so im aware of not braking at all times.

charles.

yes im running the 415 with one way. and what you have said about letting go of the throttle entering the corner the rear steps out. it feels like the rear has no weight at all.

things ill be trying
positive kick up
increase rear roll center
reduce rear droop
and might raise my ride hieght to 6mm from 5-5.5mm
and front toe in (0.5 deg)

also i dont use tyre additive which i will get next week.

also here was my previous setup

Front
tyre: TO 27
Spring: xray dark blue
sway bar: blue
droop: guessing 3mm
ride height: 5.5mm
camber: -1.5 deg
toe: 0 deg
caster: not sure which c hub
shock oil: 70wt
shock position: 2nd top outer hole.
track width: 187mm

Rears
tyre: TO 27
Spring: tamiya yellow
sway bar: yellow
shock oil: 40 wt
droop: 2.5mm
camber: -1.5 deg
toe in: 2.5mm
shock position: 2nd lower hole
ride height: 5.5mm
track width: 188mm

alfa 2.0 with wing in orginal size so its massive! and placed foward towards the car.

i probably have a setup problem but im just curious do you guys, who are racing in stock at a high level suffer off power oversteer?

also race at a untreated track which has very low bite.

and can you get alot of body roll with the speeds of stock motor? i would like to see my whole car lean to one side when corner i know this may slow the car down in transitions etc...

cheers Guys
Old 04-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default Loose bottom...errr um rear

Hello, from looking over your set up I would say tire additive is a MUST, MUST, MUST. Especially on a low traction track!!! I like paragon II(white can).

I would not make any changes to my car until I have good tires(read new or low runs and the right compund for the track temp), and I have used tire sauce PROPERLY!!!!!!!!!!! You could have a perfect car and not know it if tires are not treated properly(rubbers ).

Then driving the Tamiya TRF415 is different with 2 one ways. You have to stay on the throttle through the corners or you can spin out with the drag brake. VERY IMPORTANT. Lose the drag brake, stay on throttle throught the corners, and don't use brakes except on the straight.

Tweak very important to a touring car.

You are using Xray springs, I am not sure what the weight is compared to yellow Tam.

I would suggest getting a diff and trying it. Good to have both. If you are racing on a small track one way may be less that Ideal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.