Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Let's Talk Modified >

Let's Talk Modified

Like Tree52Likes

Let's Talk Modified

Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Hmmm. Interesting stuff! Thx guys! Going to try and take out the drag brake next time out and lower my push brake too and see what happens. Forgot to mention I have the new Team powers 140a speedo and 0 timing on motor!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I am guessing the original question was for touring car, but some other thoughts for mod 12th, compared to what Mike and Jon mentioned above for touring...

I run a lot of drag brake in my mod 12th because I find the feel to my liking, but also because I find it incredibly difficult to be consistent with push brake in mod 12th. I will admit that I haven't played with brake strength a whole lot so the rears don't lock up easily, but maybe someone else can chime in who might push brake with mod 12th.

We raced at 5280 last night and while I have been running mod for the past couple of months so I could give it a whirl at MHIC and now IIC, last night was the first time that I realized how much the practice has been helping. Namely, I have been trying out different motors to see whether a softer bottom end will help make me more consistent in the infield, and thus more consistent over 8 minute. I ran an LRP 4.0t for most of the spring and at MHIC, but have also been playing around with some other 3.5t and 4t motors just to see what happens. The highlight from last night was changing from the LRP to a D3 4.0t and immediately thinking "wow this is slow" and realizing that 6 months ago I still would have peed myself on the straightaway with the D3. Nothing really important here, but small victories, I suppose.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does anyone have a starting point for a 4.5 using a HW?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B00t13g
I don't use a HW ESC but most 4.5's want to be around 8.3-8.5 fdr as a starting point and play with the boost to fine tune.

As for drag brake and ESC settings - I think those are so all over the place that you just need to work with your settings and see what YOU like. Every ESC and motor combo is different and can have very very different effects. Even the typical 4.5t's in mod TC act very different under braking.

I like a bit of drag brake myself. I set my ESC and radio initial settings to 100% and adjust down via the radio from there to suit the track and my driving. Some tracks/motor combos I only use 40-45% radio brake, some I use 80-90% so I see a huge variance in settings. Sometimes 50% and 80% brake feel the same to me with different brake zones and motors. You just gotta play with it.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Arrow

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
I don't use a HW ESC but most 4.5's want to be around 8.3-8.5 fdr as a starting point and play with the boost to fine tune.

As for drag brake and ESC settings - I think those are so all over the place that you just need to work with your settings and see what YOU like. Every ESC and motor combo is different and can have very very different effects. Even the typical 4.5t's in mod TC act very different under braking.

I like a bit of drag brake myself. I set my ESC and radio initial settings to 100% and adjust down via the radio from there to suit the track and my driving. Some tracks/motor combos I only use 40-45% radio brake, some I use 80-90% so I see a huge variance in settings. Sometimes 50% and 80% brake feel the same to me with different brake zones and motors. You just gotta play with it.
I feel a lot like you do on this Troy. For anyone new to mod, regardless of the motor/esc/radio you definitely don't want to be locking the tires up on asphalt. For a starting point I set the brake strength to 100 in the esc and dial it down in the radio until the tires don't lock up at the end of the straight at full brake. I usually end up going a little higher from there as I never find myself hitting full brake at the end of the straight. On carpet I am less concerned about the tires locking up, but it still isn't the fastest way around. I am usually between 10 and 15 on drag. One of the features I like on the KO is the Nutbrake (Neutral Brake) as it allows me to play with drag brake on the stand, and the radio still calibrates correctly at power up, unlike brake trim.

Mackie, I'll show you my HW settings on Friday. I had two slightly different setups in my two cars both yielding same fast lap. One was a few degrees lower on turbo and boost and had the boost rpm range extended by 5k which made it feel a little slower, but was easier to control. Definitely not the grip it and rip it you're used to though.

AWD
Old 07-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Yes this was for TC! All good answers! In the back of my mind this past weekend I had thought this was going to be a trial by error kind of thing. I just knew that this hard braking thing was not for me. Just need some more track time. Thx
Old 07-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Final drive ratio for 8.5 motor on tight carpet track

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to TC onroad racing and am planning to run a Speed passion 8.5 in my Yokomo BD5wxi.

Can someone suggest a final drive ratio to get me in the ball park?

I'm planning to use 48 pitch gears and the track is indoor carpet with a tight layout.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

David
Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by B00t13g
I am running a reedy 4.5 with a HW v3.1.
My FDR is 8.4.
Running a 40mm fan blowing to the motor.
Temps after 6+ min run
Motor: 70ish celsius
Esc: 75ish celsius

Endbell timing around 8
Boost 18
Boost start 13500
Boost end 24000
Turbo throttle delay: 0.1 or instant, depending on how i want to push
Turbo timing 35
Turbo start 23000
18deg slope
12deg de /slope
Punch rate 1 / 12
Punch rate 2 / 20

But start low. Get it in modify mode. 0 boost and 10turbo timing is standard.
Go from here. Need more power on the straighht? Higher turbo!
Need more infield play around with boost settings.
U go to high on boost fast.

I hope this will help.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cale79
I am running a reedy 4.5 with a HW v3.1.
My FDR is 8.4.
Running a 40mm fan blowing to the motor.
Temps after 6+ min run
Motor: 70ish celsius
Esc: 75ish celsius

Endbell timing around 8
Boost 18
Boost start 13500
Boost end 24000
Turbo throttle delay: 0.1 or instant, depending on how i want to push
Turbo timing 35
Turbo start 23000
18deg slope
12deg de /slope
Punch rate 1 / 12
Punch rate 2 / 20

But start low. Get it in modify mode. 0 boost and 10turbo timing is standard.
Go from here. Need more power on the straighht? Higher turbo!
Need more infield play around with boost settings.
U go to high on boost fast.

I hope this will help.
That's a lot of boost, sounds like a way to achieve warp speed. How big of a track do you run on?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DesertRat
That's a lot of boost, sounds like a way to achieve warp speed. How big of a track do you run on?
Have no clue if its warp speed. I rather go faster

The track is outdoor, 100meters straight, 540meters total.
Maybe i can use less. Can try but he feels pretty good.
Still not as fast as the quickest laprecord so theres room for improvement.
Ideas opinions are always welcome!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anybody here use rotor size as a tuning aid ?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag88
Does anybody here use rotor size as a tuning aid ?
In 1/12.. Yes. Tc.. I haven't.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Got a chance yesterday to throw the car on the track after re configuring esc set up. What a difference! I turned all brakes way and now I can hit the brakes and not over shoot corners and just roll through them. It is truly different for set up for all cars and esc's! Cant wait for more!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cale79
Have no clue if its warp speed. I rather go faster

The track is outdoor, 100meters straight, 540meters total.
Maybe i can use less. Can try but he feels pretty good.
Still not as fast as the quickest laprecord so theres room for improvement.
Ideas opinions are always welcome!
Up the gearing, to around 8, even 7.8 FDR... and then drop the boost/turbo back. Motor should actually run a bit cooler, and be smoother.

I used to gear my ProAmps 4.5t at 8.3, since going to 7.7, and dropping boost, turbo back a bit (same speedy), motor has been cool, smoother, and most importantly faster and more consistent on times... certainly worth a shot, IMO.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm supposed to be racing Mod in a few weeks time (at a interclub series round), which is terrifying considering I have barely turned a wheel with a mod motor in, but I'm still looking forward to doing it at least the once.

With gear I'm trying hard to sort that out, considering I'm about to change to a T4 Xray, and a mate did me a good deal on a Tekin RS Pro to use (got to figure out where to mount a fan to blow down onto it), motor choice is still up in the air for me, seems a few used and used but not used 4.5-5t motors around, not sure if I would prefer a 5.5 or maybe even a 6.5, maybe not the 6.5 after reading this thread in full though.

One of my only major concerns is what I may break/stress on the car doing mod, the other is looking at the mild puff I see on some packs run in mod, meaning I'm unsure if I want to use my brand new SMC 6500's, cause I was hoping to keep those fresh to run in Stock at the state champs in September...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.