Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Let's Talk Modified >

Let's Talk Modified

Like Tree52Likes

Let's Talk Modified

Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

OK so last night i spent some time really focusing on the power delivery between a blinky profile and a slightly boosted profile.

In reflection it seems like the power delivery of the blinky profile was as you would imagine. The delivery was immediate and caused me to overshoot some of the corners. This profile top'ed out on the straight in the first 20 feet. It was easy to drive on the straight, but in the infield the car was very aggressive. Keep in mind I was running everything down even in blinky mode. So the punch was turned down to the lowest level. On the Reventon Pro this profile is called Stock 0.

On the Stock 1 profile, which is a boosted profile...I found the car much easier to drive in the infield. The car seemed to be much less sensitive to throttle input on the bottom end of the throttle. The straight away speed with the boost was nothing short of ridiculous, but after a few packs it started to be more manageable. All of the settings were turned down so that the car was as mild as possible.

Motor was a Reedy 5.5 with middle timing geared at 7.8FDR in a TC. Motor at ESC temps were in the 115 deg F area

Seems like I am going the right direction with the boosted profile.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
Thanks for all the honest RS Pro answers. I think I will use it in my 13.5 blinky and get a SP V3 to try out mod with. thx
Josh, I've been using a SP V3 in mod and I really like it. They're very reasonably priced compared to other mod capable speedos. I bought mine from SP USA direct for $99. Get the hobbywing digital programmer to go with it and its a pretty sweet setup. Come by my pits Sunday and I'll show you mine.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
OK so last night i spent some time really focusing on the power delivery between a blinky profile and a slightly boosted profile.

In reflection it seems like the power delivery of the blinky profile was as you would imagine. The delivery was immediate and caused me to overshoot some of the corners. This profile top'ed out on the straight in the first 20 feet. It was easy to drive on the straight, but in the infield the car was very aggressive. Keep in mind I was running everything down even in blinky mode. So the punch was turned down to the lowest level. On the Reventon Pro this profile is called Stock 0.

On the Stock 1 profile, which is a boosted profile...I found the car much easier to drive in the infield. The car seemed to be much less sensitive to throttle input on the bottom end of the throttle. The straight away speed with the boost was nothing short of ridiculous, but after a few packs it started to be more manageable. All of the settings were turned down so that the car was as mild as possible.

Motor was a Reedy 5.5 with middle timing geared at 7.8FDR in a TC. Motor at ESC temps were in the 115 deg F area

Thats good info.....i gotta ask though ......are all those manufacturers under your profile your sponsors......because i wouldnt mind gettting me a toaster with a nice bagel setting lolol.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To ad to the fire some guys in IL and other places are talking about starting A Pro F1 class for those speed freeks out there. 1/10 pan with the wide foam and speeds as fast as the car you drove to the race. Possibly 1/8 tracks. Forget blinky Just put both feet on the gas pedal.!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theatriks
Thats good info.....i gotta ask though ......are all those manufacturers under your profile your sponsors......because i wouldnt mind gettting me a toaster with a nice bagel setting lolol.
Of course they are they are in my signature silly!

Getting picked up by Kitchen Aid was no easy task...
Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Your a good sport ....when i was reading them ..when i got to that part my coffee almost went all over the screen lmfao....i gotta try to make it to some US races you guys seem like your a riot.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Keep the information coming. I will be testing my MOD setup for the first time in 2 weeks on a small technical outdoor track. My equipment is very similar to yours. SP reventon PRO and a 4.5 SP MMM V3. I have no clue where to start and your information would provide a perfect starting point, maybe we can help each other, when I start experimenting a bit too!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

In reflection it seems like the power delivery of the blinky profile was as you would imagine. The delivery was immediate and caused me to overshoot some of the corners. This profile top'ed out on the straight in the first 20 feet.
Exactly how blinky 13.5 feels to me, horrible. No throttle feel, no speed, boring and rubbish to drive.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Been following this thread with much interest as we have made a decision to run mod at our track this year. Would you still recommend to run a 4.5 on a med-low grip parking lot asphalt track in TC? I would think the limits of grip could prove a problem with a motor that low of wind. I'm no expert by any means, this is just a gut feeling going into it. Also this will be with GT style bodies, not the standard TC stuff. What are your thoughts on this combo?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JCarr
Been following this thread with much interest as we have made a decision to run mod at our track this year. Would you still recommend to run a 4.5 on a med-low grip parking lot asphalt track in TC? I would think the limits of grip could prove a problem with a motor that low of wind. I'm no expert by any means, this is just a gut feeling going into it. Also this will be with GT style bodies, not the standard TC stuff. What are your thoughts on this combo?
GT bodies with mod motors? Good luck with that. As speed increases, the poor handling characteristics of most GT shells will become all too apparent. It will probably end up being an NSX class.

If the point of scale shells is to create new interest, I have to ask, do you really want new people driving ill handling, overpowered cars? They will be more inclined to quit right away and never come back.

Just seems strange to me. GT shells work okay at 21.5 blinky speeds. Much quicker than that and most of the shells straight up suck.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by napoleon1981
Keep the information coming. I will be testing my MOD setup for the first time in 2 weeks on a small technical outdoor track. My equipment is very similar to yours. SP reventon PRO and a 4.5 SP MMM V3. I have no clue where to start and your information would provide a perfect starting point, maybe we can help each other, when I start experimenting a bit too!
My setup I ran last night for your reference:

V20 software with Stock 1 firmware

Running Mode: Forward No Reverse
LiPO Cutoff: No Protection
Overheat Protection: Disabled
ABS Brake Percentage: 60%
Drag Brake: 20%
Initial Brake: Equals Drag Brake
Neutral Range: 8%
DRRS 3.0: Level 1
Boost: 40%
Boost Max: 140K
Slope Rate: 6*/0.1s
Hybrid Start RPM: 9000
Delay 0.1s

FDR was 7.8 Reedy 5.5 with middle timing

Hope this helps!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
GT bodies with mod motors? Good luck with that. As speed increases, the poor handling characteristics of most GT shells will become all too apparent. It will probably end up being an NSX class.

If the point of scale shells is to create new interest, I have to ask, do you really want new people driving ill handling, overpowered cars? They will be more inclined to quit right away and never come back.

Just seems strange to me. GT shells work okay at 21.5 blinky speeds. Much quicker than that and most of the shells straight up suck.
We have a USGT class using those rules. The mod class will more than likely allow both GT and TC bodies, but a few of us are tired of the blob parade. The class isn't really to draw newbies in as we have a few classes for that, this is just something different that a bunch of us wanted to run.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by locked

Disagree 100% with this. The only reason for the poor handling would be set-up. While it may not perform like the typical Mazda class bodies, I am sure they'll be ok. In fact, in the last year of the Depot track when they ran TCS, I was able to get my GT1 car to be a tenth off my "mazda class" settings with tamiya type B's. I was running a 7.5 btw.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by duckman996
Disagree 100% with this. The only reason for the poor handling would be set-up. While it may not perform like the typical Mazda class bodies, I am sure they'll be ok. In fact, in the last year of the Depot track when they ran TCS, I was able to get my GT1 car to be a tenth off my "mazda class" settings with tamiya type B's. I was running a 7.5 btw.
And were you using an NSX shell?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.