R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree24Likes

Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #361
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, I ran my old foam touring car on the new carpet over the weekend, and it was a lot of fun. I was only about 1/2 second slower than my 1/12 car, even with it low on power. The tires lasted multiple runs without even fully losing their as-cut texture, and I had to re-learn some stuff about foam touring like how they often run best with tight diffs full of thick grease. Losi Smart Diff grease was the ticket.

I also realized that when it comes to lapped traffic, nothing has ever quite bumped a slowpoke out of the way like a foam touring car. They are hard to upset.
Marcos.J and biz77 like this.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #362
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Well, I ran my old foam touring car on the new carpet over the weekend, and it was a lot of fun. I was only about 1/2 second slower than my 1/12 car, even with it low on power. The tires lasted multiple runs without even fully losing their as-cut texture, and I had to re-learn some stuff about foam touring like how they often run best with tight diffs full of thick grease. Losi Smart Diff grease was the ticket.

I also realized that when it comes to lapped traffic, nothing has ever quite bumped a slowpoke out of the way like a foam touring car. They are hard to upset.
working on a foam car now
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #363
Tech Rookie

Looking for advice on the minimum mah for a 2S LCG running a 5.5T Reedy Mach 3 on a medium size outdoor asphault track.

I'vee seen some pictures out there of people using as low as a 5000mah all the way up to 6300mah. I'm looking for a bit of a weight reduction in the battery area.

Also, with a battery that's much lighter than the electronics, can that mess with the overall balance of the car?

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #364
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

5000 should work ok for 5min races on a medium sized track but not much more. I really like the 6000-6500mah packs that weigh 270-300g for mod on a big outdoor track.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:44 AM   #365
Tech Elite

There will never be a stock world champion. Think about it.

If the IFMAR was hosted in your town, would you would bolt up a mod and go join them?
Marcos.J likes this.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:09 AM   #366
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
There will never be a stock world champion. Think about it.
You mean "again" right?

Kent Clausen and Bud Bartos are stock IFMAR 12th WCs and Jay Halseys 1985 2wd off-road title was stock.

I need to dig up those pictures of Buds' car that were on rctentalk (IIRCC). Good stuff! The local currency was glued to the pinion as a flywheel!

Mike <----- Way too geeky about knowing this kinda stuff!
hanulec likes this.

Last edited by masterhit; 10-19-2017 at 05:01 AM.
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #367
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
You mean "again" right?

Kent Clausen and Bud Bartos are stock IFMAR 12th WCs and Jay Halseys 1985 2wd off-road title was stock.

I need to dig up those pictures of Buds' car that were on rctentalk (IIRCC). Good stuff! The local currency was glued to the pinion as a flywheel!

Mike <----- Way too geeky about knowing this kinda stuff!
Wasn't Jay Halsey's car the one that determined what "Stock" was going to be, 27 turns of 22 gauge wire?

Either way, I think it would do the hobby a favor for some of the habitual stock racers to bolt up some power and run Mod at the big races as well. I know about time constraints and practice and all of that make deciding to field an extra car not easy or cheap, but at least your motor and battery tuning choices will be relatively simple.

Also, do we still need a Super Stock class? I'm starting to wonder if it was worth it or not, or if it is worth it maybe Super Stock could run boost.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #368
Super Moderator

All ready to go
Attached Thumbnails
Let's Talk Modified-b1a5c8fa-3eb1-41c8-b68f-77ba97146074.jpg  
Antimullet likes this.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:08 AM   #369
Tech Elite

Quote:
Wasn't Jay Halsey's car the one that determined what "Stock" was going to be, 27 turns of 22 gauge wire?.....
Looking at the report from those worlds, the Mod cars were only a matter of seconds faster.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #370
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I enjoy mod TC more than stock, even though mod is only 2-3 seconds faster than 17.5 on your traditional indoor US tracks. For me it's the challenge of mod to actually go faster than stock and is why I'm attracted to mod. It's the challenge of going fast, just because you got the horsepower doesn't mean everyone can lay it down proper. I'm still learning and hope to have the expected humbling experience at the Indoor Champs in a few weeks.
Antimullet and moistAF like this.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #371
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Efficient throttle modulation = Lost art/skill.
davidl, Antimullet and moistAF like this.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #372
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-MORE-SPEED View Post
I enjoy mod TC more than stock, even though mod is only 2-3 seconds faster than 17.5 on your traditional indoor US tracks. For me it's the challenge of mod to actually go faster than stock and is why I'm attracted to mod. It's the challenge of going fast, just because you got the horsepower doesn't mean everyone can lay it down proper. I'm still learning and hope to have the expected humbling experience at the Indoor Champs in a few weeks.
2-3 seconds a lap is massive! That was the entire straightaway and half a sweeper at IIC or about 20% of lap times. Watching mod @ IIC this year and the difference is jaw dropping. To think they need foam or anything else seems crazy to me.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #373
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
2-3 seconds a lap is massive! That was the entire straightaway and half a sweeper at IIC or about 20% of lap times. Watching mod @ IIC this year and the difference is jaw dropping. To think they need foam or anything else seems crazy to me.
Never had the opportunity to witness a sanctioned event in person like IIC or Snowbirds regarding a track that size. So I can see the difference from stock to mod being a big difference in speed and no need for foams. But on the tracks I'm familiar with running on (80x40) and some slightly smaller, mod is only a lap to the good over a 5 minute run over stock. And that's on a clean run. But that's the challenge I enjoy .... I can see foam tire mod TC taking a one lap difference, to two over rubber tire
Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #374
Super Moderator

my mod sedan
patorz31 and Ggrant like this.