Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Official World Record Attempt - longest distance on 1 battery >

Official World Record Attempt - longest distance on 1 battery

Official World Record Attempt - longest distance on 1 battery

Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

Exclamation Official World Record Attempt - longest distance on 1 battery

Update - moved to Sat 20 April at 10am (due to weather)

Melbourne, Australia – David Stevens of RC Formula1 will attempt to break the current Guinness World Records® record for the ‘Greatest distance by a Radio Controlled (RC) model car on one set of batteries’. The current record of 23.726 km was set in 2009 in France and was achieved at a very slow speed over more than 24 hours.

“We will be taking a faster and more exciting route to the world record distance,” says Stevens. “We aim to beat the current world record in under one hour using MaxAmps battery technology and LRP electronics.”

Where: TFTR RC race track, Templestowe Reserve, Porter St, Templestowe, Victoria 3106, Australia (www.tftr.org.au)

When: Sat 20 April - 10am

Below: World Record Attempt Car - thanks to F1 Paintlab for the fantastic body & paint job. Photos - JWD Digital Imaging

Battery

The battery is the single most important component. From our research MaxAmps have the highest capacity 2S Lipo batteries commercially available and we are very pleased to have MaxAmps support and enthusiasm. “MaxAmps.com is excited to be working with RCformula1.com.au for this World Record Attempt! If anyone can pull it off, it will be David. With his experience in F1, he is definitely capable of beating the current record,” said Austin Else CEO MaxAmps.com.

Car

Tamiya F104 v2 F1 chassis. The F1 car is perfect for this world record attempt as it is lighter than most 1:10 scale vehicles and it is rear wheel drive which draws less power than a 4WD car. Our thanks to Metro Hobbies for supplying the car.

Electronics

“With the work and preparation that goes into a world record attempt we couldn’t afford to have equipment failure on the day, so quality and reliability are key. Most electric races run for 6 minutes and therefore a 1 hour plus record attempt requires performance under extreme conditions. That’s why we chose LRP for their reliable Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) and motor”, said Stevens.

Special thanks to Metro Hobbies, our local hobby store, whose support was critical for this official world record attempt. They ship worldwide from their online store www.metrohobbies.com.au

Made possible by sponsorship from:

MaxAmps - F1 Paintlabs - Metro Hobbies - LRP

If you like the idea of RC world record attempts and want to see more of them then why not tell us about it in this forum - or just wish us luck

Last edited by RCformula1; 04-17-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

sent ya a pm
Old 03-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Adept

Good luck guys,
I will follow very interested the record attempt.
Which motor are you going to use?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NItrox416
Good luck guys,
I will follow very interested the record attempt.
Which motor are you going to use?
Thanks for that.

We are currently testing motors for the optimal run time. It will be one of the LRP range of brushless motors.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

when you say one battery.... one cell? one pack of cells? or one "configuration" of cells to create a "battery? whats to stop you from taking an 8th scale, dropping a really low kv motor and low continuous amp esc, and lining the chassis with custom made 1s battery arrays?

F1 is awesome, but any particular reason for the choice of a F1 car? seems like something like a 10th scale pancar on skinny wheels would get the best milage. I would think the contact patch on f1 tires would be too much and create a lot of rolling resistance.

hope you break the record though and best of luck =)
Old 03-20-2013, 04:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by valk
when you say one battery.... one cell? one pack of cells? or one "configuration" of cells to create a "battery? whats to stop you from taking an 8th scale, dropping a really low kv motor and low continuous amp esc, and lining the chassis with custom made 1s battery arrays?

F1 is awesome, but any particular reason for the choice of a F1 car? seems like something like a 10th scale pancar on skinny wheels would get the best milage. I would think the contact patch on f1 tires would be too much and create a lot of rolling resistance.

hope you break the record though and best of luck =)
Guinness World Records have rules that must be complied with. We will be using a 2S lipo.

We are hoping to use the record attempt to promote RC car racing in general and F1 racing in particular. The mission of RC Formula1 is to promote F1 RC car racing. So the choice of car was easy

F1 is enjoying a resurgence and series like UF1 in the US, Super GP1 in China, the F1 Italian Series, F1 RC GP in Japan, F1 RC in the Philippines, Australia's RC Formula1 and of course Tamiya's TCS are all doing great work to bring F1 racing to the fore and it's looking very positive.

Thanks for your well wishes.

Here's a video we made to help get the F1 juices flowing for 2013 in Australia:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

You can see lots of other F1 RC videos on our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/rcformula1
Old 03-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

RC Soup have written a story about the attempt and more details are revealed:

http://www.rcsoup.com/2013/03/rcform...-world-record/
Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

If you use a silver can mabuchi motor it should be pretty easy. With a 6000mah battery pack you should be able to go for close to an hour at over 15mph which would put you past the record in just an hour.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Nice project.

I assume you are going to run on the oval layout ?

May I ask why the choice of the Savöx servo ? They have a reputaion of being power-hungry, and it seems to me that for your purpose ( i.e. not racing) a 1/12 scale futaba-sanwa-ko mini servo would be better suited.

The super-narrow tires seemed like a good idea, too.

Also, what LRP motor are you going to run ? Intuitively I would go with the highest number of turns, such as a novak 25.5. Just asking

anyway, curious how it will turn out !
Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by heretic
Nice project.

I assume you are going to run on the oval layout ?
We sure are. Keeps the throttle inputs to a minimum.

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
If you use a silver can mabuchi motor it should be pretty easy. With a 6000mah battery pack you should be able to go for close to an hour at over 15mph which would put you past the record in just an hour.
Originally Posted by heretic
May I ask why the choice of the Savöx servo ? They have a reputaion of being power-hungry, and it seems to me that for your purpose ( i.e. not racing) a 1/12 scale futaba-sanwa-ko mini servo would be better suited.

The super-narrow tires seemed like a good idea, too.

Also, what LRP motor are you going to run ? Intuitively I would go with the highest number of turns, such as a novak 25.5. Just asking

anyway, curious how it will turn out !
Thanks everyone for the advice. Keep it coming. All ideas are helpful. Cheers
Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Tech Adept

Calibrate the speedo with throttle EPA on 100%. Then turn down the throttle EPA on the transmitter to suit the speed you want when giving full throttle.

Then you can just give it full throttle for 1 hour
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Tech Adept

I few years ago we had a endurance & laps competition at one of our nationals to win a brusless prize and i ran a tamiya mini as it is only 2 wheel drive and with a sport tuned motor on a 4600mh stick pack and drove on throttle trim around the gas circuit for just on 2 hours, i should have measured the track and calculated the distance traveled as im sure even that was close to this record, you should easily do it with bl motors and lipo, just dont use foam tires as i ran our of ride height ! still won the brushless prize

If i calculate what our 21.5 Touring guys (4wd) run at race pace on our local track they do about 3.5 km in 6 min and only use about 900 - 1200 mah if you have for eg 7000 mah lipo you can run almost 20km at race pace on a track, if you throttle back and do it on an oval with a 2wd car you should do well over 30km maybe even more !

good luck guys
Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is cool.

GOOD LUCK!

Now I wont an RC F1 LOL
Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tim3
This is cool.

GOOD LUCK!

Now I wont an RC F1 LOL
Thanks.

Check out our F1 Buyers Guide - everybody should have an F1

Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

- Make sure to run low or no downforce on your front/rear wings to eliminate drag.
- If possible run a smaller spur gear to reduce wind resistance/drag.
- Consider using capped tires for less rolling resistance (pan car tires for paved oval racing - might require some mods to work on a F1 car).
- Don't forget to have long life batteries in the transmitter
- Don't forget the effect of lateral load on tires where they glue to the wheels.
- Don't forget to balance the tires.
- You may need to turn off the low voltage/lipo cut-off on your speed control (obviously not recommended for normal racing).
- Locktite the pinion gear screw when you install on the motor shaft. You may also want to do something similar with the wheel nuts (just don't get any on the bearings)
- It may not be needed, but consider using a receiver pack battery to save life on the motor battery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.