Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Speed Passion  F1 car - The SP1 >

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Like Tree4Likes

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by B.C.Ninja
Hey guys, just picked up the Tresrey version of this car, is there any one that can chime in on somewhat necessary parts to upgrade and have as spares, also best tuning otions ie springs etc, have had a good blast over the entire thread but only have so many fingers on one hand to keep the pages open with lol.

Also, looking for a more modern style body, going to be running F103 foams on the beast, any good advice for this side of the fence, I do quite like the SP body also need wing choices as well.

Cheers in advance
Whatever you do you wont be fast enough to beat the SJ Version
Old 11-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Rookie

I am really wanting to get into F1 but the kit seems to be out of stock everywhere. Any reason why?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is Speed passion releasing a new F1 i emailed Speed Power america they told me for around Christmas time. just wonder if anyone else has heard of this?
http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Old 11-24-2014, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Greatly improved the differential action. Here's how I did it.

Yeah, forgot to add the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtkg88INua0

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 11-24-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:06 AM
Tech Regular

how ?
Old 12-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hmm speed passion creating new car. Very interesting.
What's should be in new car?
Graphite down arms.
Double side tube like in new yokomo.
More narrow main board.
What else?
Old 12-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

If they keep the suspension mounting plate...make it independent of the servo mount so that ride height can more easily be adjusted. Increase the natural ackerman in the bell crank steering...it is no where near enough to make the car turn well. Use a bigger pillow ball to reduce the chance of it pulling through the knuckle. Move the lower plate mounting screw from under the bell crank to somewhere where it is easier to get to. This time base the car's width(s) on the current TCS/Pit Shimizu tires so the widths come out right. Don't make us have to do front end mods to change the width, and include the rear spacers this time...but make them axle spacers not wheel spacers. Or if you must use wheel spacers...make sure the wheel doesn't pull off of the inner hex when it is spaced out. And give us a decent shock!

The car was a great car in idea...it's the minute details that messed it up.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes front ride height makes some troubles.
Steering has bad ballends, if you replace to diffent it could be better definitly.
Schock is very well imho.
Which car are You driving?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

The shock is like the 3Racing one...based on the Tamiya but executed poorly. The shaft has much too much lateral wiggle in it so it doesn't hold it's alignment well.

After my SP-1 broke in every round at the IIC...I switched to the CRC WTF-1. I still plan on bringing the SP-1 back out because I really do like the design...I just need to get the updated plastics on the car to help with the durability.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

My shock is aligment well.
Please take carbon rainforced arms, uprights, steering and pods.
You will be calm down about fragile kit parts.
About link pods I used 61mm turnbuckle from 3
Racing and ballends from xray x12. It is solution for me.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Tech Champion

Oh the shock works fine...it just has too much wiggle in the shaft for me to be happy with. Other shocks have tighter tolerances and don't wiggle so much. I switched mine to the CRC Encore shock so I could have spring tuning options with springs I already have for my other pan cars and the car improved significantly.

I know the carbon parts will fix the fragility issue and do plan to put them on. I still think it is one of the best cars on the market especially for the price. I just think taking a little bit closer look at some of the details will go a long way to make the car even better. Pretty much all of the F1 cars on the market have pretty poor front right height adjustment. I think SP is closest to getting it right but they over complicated things. I think they had the best idea in making the car adjustable to 3 different widths...but the widths they chose didn't meet the 3 widths used in classes well and were based on the wrong rim and tire combination. 185mm is not narrow enough for the places running a 180mm width rule and the 190mm setting can not be used for the most popular tires/wheels to get a 190mm width. At the time the car was introduced the Pit Shimizu tires were already the most widely accepted tires for rubber classes. Then saying to use spacers in the wheels to space the rear but not providing those spacers and not designing the left side hub to properly use those spacers was just not paying attention to the details.

All in all it is a great car and I still highly recommend it to people who ask. But if they had paid more attention to the details from the get go the car would be much more widely accepted.

Last edited by InspGadgt; 12-07-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

This car on asphalt is beast im keeping for that soul purpose as a mod f1 with maybe a 13.5 or 17.5 instead of 21.5
Old 12-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Been running my SP1 for a few months now, but had been using Pardus tires that didn't work well on our track.
Last meeting I tried Ride R1 on the rear with Pit 573 fronts and the car was transformed. Had great drive out of the corners, could pretty much mash the throttle. Still needed some more steering, but the car was set up around needing rear traction from the Pardus tires. Had a pair of Pit 574 soft fronts to try also, but had a huge/freak accident before I got that far.

I ran slightly wide coming on to the back straight and rubbed the poly pipes. Never an issue with my touring car, but with the large sidewalls on F1 tires it climbed the pipe and ran along it until it found one of the bolts anchoring the pipe to the ground. The following accident was rather spectacular, car flying in the air, rear wing removing itself and landing on the other side of the track a good 15 metres away!

The aftermath of this wasn't pretty, a number of parts will need to be replaced. It snapped one of the Associated side links, snapped the thread from the roll damper shaft, pulled the pivot ball out through the back wall of the 'football', lost a side spring, damaged a side spring holder and delaminated many layers of the rear carbon pod where the side link mounts on one side.

Of all these parts the only one I had in my spares was the kit spec side links, so I was done for the day after just one race.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all. Just finished the first ever 3 hour F1 endurance race here in Malaysia. Was a tough start on a very wet track but the car just got better as it dried up. My team got up to 2nd place but a mishap just before the 2 hour mark had the right front arm come right off due to a broken upper arm pivot ball. A painfully long Pitstop put us down in 4th but we managed to claw our way back up to the last spot on the podium. Thankfully my team mates were infinitely more talented than me! On the whole the car was pretty dialled on the Ride R1s, and we completed the 507 laps on a single set of fronts!

My team - Adrian, me, Boy.

Last edited by zephuros; 12-21-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Has anybody bet rear axle shaft. I tag the wall not hard but just enough bend the axle buy the diff. Any suggestions for a fix what is a better axle to replace it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.