Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by metalnut
Ok, I'm really confused about spur options for the SP1. The car comes with a 48p spur and 18 diff balls, correct? So, if I wanted to switch to a 64p spur, what are my choices? Searching through the thread, people mention going to 64p but with what brand spur? Do the kit diff balls work with those spurs? And what FDR are you guys shooting for?
You might find this article helpful in terms of FDR. The A-Z of Gearing with Blinky ESC's for F1.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
One of which is on it's way to my house, correct Howard?
When Socko asked.....I answer WHEN and WHERE.....
Old 09-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Am I correct in assuming that the three different platforms for the LM-1 will be released at different times (ie one per month for three months, etc)?
Yes...the base kit version will come out first (FRP version) then the RTR and then the PRO version....at least that is what I was told last night.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ph3nyx
Great news ! can't wait to see that
is there some compatible parts with the sp1 f1 ?
Very much the whole front arms and kuckles, side links, rear motor mount/pod and diff are the same as the SP1....the main different is the wider chassis. Actually one of the parts on the SP1 is for the LM-1....you guys already got the part for the LM-1....
Old 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Here's my SP-1 winning this past weekend It's the white and red car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...s7d0nb5S8#t=28
Well done....if you can post your setup sheet, I will post it on the SP site...
Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez
Cannnnnootttttttt wait!!!!

Solara will the bodies have buckets for the lights and rear diffusers?
Yes, the bodies will have the LIGHT HOUSING if you decide to use LED on them....about rear diffuser, I believe that is the option parts for SP1 and LM1. I know it will be there but I have yet to see the sample of that parts yet.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RCformula1
You might find this article helpful in terms of FDR. The A-Z of Gearing with Blinky ESC's for F1.
Great site....thanks.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Kimbro spur gears will work fine. They have been probably the most widely used pan car gear for a long time. The price is nice and they work well. The downsides are they aren't perfectly round usually and they use 12 diff balls. But even like that they can make for very smooth diffs if done right and enough care is taken when meshing the teeth.
I see Stormer carries the Xenon gears in 64p, example: http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...&pn=XENM640078

So, I may give those a try, actually. I have OCD about building ball diffs, gear mesh, etc., so if I can get something truer than Kimbrough, I'm all over it
Old 09-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCformula1
Awesome!! Thank you
Old 09-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Solara
Very much the whole front arms and kuckles, side links, rear motor mount/pod and diff are the same as the SP1....the main different is the wider chassis. Actually one of the parts on the SP1 is for the LM-1....you guys already got the part for the LM-1....
Ok ! thank you for this clarification, that is smart ! hope we'll test it soon for rcf1.fr
so we saw the audi e-tron body, what are the others ?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

So, I'm about to order some 64p spurs and pinions, but since I don't have the kit yet, I'm wondering what would be a good "middle" range in terms of motor positioning in the mount? What I mean is, I want to make sure I don't get a spur/pinion combo that will force the motor too far into either side of the mounting range. Looking over spec sheets and reading here, it seems people have run 64p spurs from 78t all the way up to 96t. So... would something in the 84-ish range be safe? I'm going for a 3.0 FDR, so 84/28 or the like. I just want to have some room for up/down adjustment.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 AM
Tech Champion

I see Stormer carries the Xenon gears in 64p, example: http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...&pn=XENM640078

So, I may give those a try, actually. I have OCD about building ball diffs, gear mesh, etc., so if I can get something truer than Kimbrough, I'm all over it
So, I'm about to order some 64p spurs and pinions, but since I don't have the kit yet, I'm wondering what would be a good "middle" range in terms of motor positioning in the mount? What I mean is, I want to make sure I don't get a spur/pinion combo that will force the motor too far into either side of the mounting range. Looking over spec sheets and reading here, it seems people have run 64p spurs from 78t all the way up to 96t. So... would something in the 84-ish range be safe? I'm going for a 3.0 FDR, so 84/28 or the like. I just want to have some room for up/down adjustment.
Xenon makes a few different spur gears so make sure you get the right ones. I'd check but the Stormer site is not loading for me right now. Make sure you get the VSS DD spur gears. I run an 88 on mine.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Solara
Well done....if you can post your setup sheet, I will post it on the SP site...
The setup is pretty much box stock. All I changed was ride height and ackerman. Off hand here's what I remember...pretty sure this is how I have it set up:

Front:
Tire: Pit Shimizu 574
Spring: Kit stock
Kingpin: Dry, no oil for dampening
Caster: 10* block
Camber: 1*
Toe: .5* toe out
Ackerman: 2mm spacer (will probably go to 3mm next race)
Width: 190mm arm setting
Ride Height: 4.5mm
Droop: ? Not sure. I shimmed the king pin the same as stock

Rear:
Tire: Pit Shimizu 572
Center Spring: Kit stock
Shock oil: Stock
Side springs: Kit stock
Side damper oil: Kit stock
Droop: Stock shock length with stock mounting position
Width: Axle spaced to 190mm
Ride height: 5mm

Note: I made a couple of parts swaps on the car. I did not like spacing out the rear by using spacers inside the wheel because it takes the left side wheel off of the inner hex. So I decided I wanted to space the axle out instead. The stock left side hub didn't look like it would hold well enough if I spaced out the axle so I replaced it with the Qtec left side clamping hub for the F104. I also had an issue in the previous race with the steering link that connects the servo to the bell crank, it kept popping off. So I replaced the ball cups with AE ones which snap on tighter. Since the AE cup is bigger inside I used the cotton trick to take out the slop. As you can see in the video I did tap a couple barriers and the steering link stayed on. Also on the front suspension I made all my ride height adjustments between the chassis plate and the front suspension plate and had to raise the servo mount along with it. I did not raise the servo though. I found during my initial build if I did my ride height adjustments under the suspension arm that it messed up the steering link angle to the bell crank too much. Because the suspension plate was raised but the servo was not I went up 1 hole on the servo horn.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Tech Champion

The lower front pivots on the arms on mine are starting to develop a bit of slop between the pivot and the king pin...the hole the king pin goes through is getting enlarged. Will there be a metal option soon for the pivot balls? Has anyone found another brand one that might fit?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It figures, I get into building the kit and I'm missing a part. The front Caster block. Has any body had experience with Speed passions customer service? I'm in the US by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.