Search
Like Tree4Likes

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
So, I had a chance to have a few local F1 guys look over my newly built kit last night. Overall I think I did a good job, but one of them noted a problem: my rear pod droops down past horizontal. I built everything per the manual as far as I can tell, but it looks like the length of the shock lets the pod droop. I have the shock mounted in the hole closest to the rear pod, and I'm using the shortest shock end screwed all the way in. So... what's the best fix here? I can add spacers to the inside of the shock to limit it's travel, or I could try mounting it in the "middle" hole. Have you guys done either, or did I screw something else up that is causing this droop?
For our track I would just put spacers under the piston before building the shock. I always liked the way this car worked with a short and angled shock, so I would't move the shock to the other holes.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You need to limit the shock internally, no you didn't do anything wrong it's a regular part of tuning F1chassis with pod droop
Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Ya, cannot remember exactly but I do have 1 or 1.5mm spacer inside the shocks as the are way too much droops.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help. Talk about a crash course in F1 setup I'll add some limiting spacers and get the pod to a nice even horizontal.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by metalnut
So, I had a chance to have a few local F1 guys look over my newly built kit last night. Overall I think I did a good job, but one of them noted a problem: my rear pod droops down past horizontal. I built everything per the manual as far as I can tell, but it looks like the length of the shock lets the pod droop. I have the shock mounted in the hole closest to the rear pod, and I'm using the shortest shock end screwed all the way in. So... what's the best fix here? I can add spacers to the inside of the shock to limit it's travel, or I could try mounting it in the "middle" hole. Have you guys done either, or did I screw something else up that is causing this droop?
Some droop past horizontal is normal...as people above mentioned you use spacers inside the shock to regulate how much droop you have. I run mine with no additional spacers inside because on my track the car pushes and the extra droop allows more weight transfer to the front.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi, I have a question, you can place the body and wings of Yokomo in this car?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Some droop past horizontal is normal...as people above mentioned you use spacers inside the shock to regulate how much droop you have. I run mine with no additional spacers inside because on my track the car pushes and the extra droop allows more weight transfer to the front.
the sp1 have lots. talking about at least 3-4mm.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by beamcat
the sp1 have lots. talking about at least 3-4mm.
Yup they do...and rubber tires on pan cars push like mad so more is needed than a normal pan car setup.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topansky
Hi, I have a question, you can place the body and wings of Yokomo in this car?
Body yes....wing, not sure....I think all the wings in the market should be all the same setup like the F103 from Tamiya...I am just guessing.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Yup they do...and rubber tires on pan cars push like mad so more is needed than a normal pan car setup.
Well, last night I added 3mm (I believe) of shims to the inside of my shock, which almost eliminated all droop. There is a very small amount now, I would say around 1mm. So, if my car ends up pushing too much on carpet, I'll just remove 1mm at a time and see how it improves.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If your shock end is completely tight you can also make small adjustments by loosening the shock end. Usually once I have the big adjustment made(internal limiters) I just adjust by the shock end.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Difuser
If your shock end is completely tight you can also make small adjustments by loosening the shock end. Usually once I have the big adjustment made(internal limiters) I just adjust by the shock end.
That's a really good idea, thanks for the tip
Old 09-25-2013, 05:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Solara
Body yes....wing, not sure....I think all the wings in the market should be all the same setup like the F103 from Tamiya...I am just guessing.
thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

Sick !
Old 09-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hi guys I may be getting one of these bad boys..question- do the Tamiya wheels and body kits/wings fit without any mods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.