Old 09-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Good job guys!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tbamsey
Tore the car apart to nothing rebuilt it to instructions already had the upgraded steering arms ride height is high but will try it out sitting around 8.5mm front 9mm rear. Do have a few spacers and shims left over found a bad ball in steering arm also was real tight will try out tomorrow night will start with pit front and rear with battery all the way back
Finally had time to play with the car again got it pretty good, tire combo was ride rear pit fronts seemed to be best combo for me it lacked steering at higher speeds and the front bounced alot low/medium speed car was good slight push but good.

Thinking about adding weight to the front maybe finding softer springs for the front as well. What effect will going to the 10 degree castor instead of the 5 will have was thinking about trying that as well
Old 10-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Had my first race day with the SP-1 and it hooked up nice on carpet(learning the art of the correct amount of traction compound.)
out of 7 racer i manged to get up to 6th and 5th place in my qualifiers. it the main got up to 4th and then a on on the screws holding the links to the rear pod fell out.

What are possible fix's for these screws that are counter sunk and hold the links from main chassis to rear pod?

And part support in Canada = I willl order parts from the USA

Over all great F1 guys.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Schs2013
it the main got up to 4th and then a on on the screws holding the links to the rear pod fell out.

What are possible fix's for these screws that are counter sunk and hold the links from main chassis to rear pod?

And part support in Canada = I willl order parts from the USA

Over all great F1 guys.
Threadlock everything...pan cars on rubber tires tend to transfer more vibration to the chassis
Old 10-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robk
Threadlock everything...pan cars on rubber tires tend to transfer more vibration to the chassis
I will do that
Old 10-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

For the motor mounts who sells the L side? Or for spare parts would it be easier to pick up another kit and have everything?
Been trying to locate what online store have parts in stock? TQ rc racing, RCmart, Speed Passion. Any others
Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Two of us are running the SP-1 at our local track here in Portland (I talked the other guy in to buying the SP-1 over the heavily supported VBC cars), and we've both been having a very hard time with the cars. We're both typically upper A main drivers, but the SP-1 has proven to be difficult to keep together. Neither of us has been able to finish a race day without missing at least one heat or main due to breakage - many times without making contact with another car or wall. The real problem seems to be with the front uprights either binding after assembly, or splitting at the line that runs along the cup where the pivot ball resides. I also have had my pivot ball rip out of the upper arm while cornering on two occasions.
We both carry a hobby shop's worth of inventory of these uprights, in both standard and carbon reinforced composition, and have similar issues with both.
The crazy thing is, the first year I owned my car, I couldn't get over how durable it was. I had issues with the uprights binding, but the car held together through some nasty crashes. This year, it's progressively gotten worse.
I've seen a few guys have switched over to the CRC uprights. Is this the solution? I like that the lower pivot ball is metal, and the way the axle is captured with a nut.
I know these cars have some speed in them, just need to figure out how to keep it from breaking.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The newest carbon version rev B upright SP makes have a thicker section where they used to break. I've had no issues with those and I run on a board track.
http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/steerin...nforced-rev-b/

I had binding but with constant adjusting, every race day, of the insert that screws against the upper pivot ball no more issues. I also had some binding with the stock bellcrank but I switched to the alum bellcrank bridge piece and that make a huge smoothness difference. Also the lower POM pivot ball helps smoothness

At my local track the Sp is the current king against new VBC and all the Tamiya
Old 10-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Great info guys. Since this is my first f1 i may just get something the local guys are running.
Tamiya F104v2 seem to be king for now.
VBC or Tamiya?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Finally got round to writing down my QLD state titles setup. Tried to include as much info as possible... might seem a little bit odd, but it works for me and my mod TC driving style

Ed Clark - SP-1 QLD Titles Setup 2014

Also attached are some photo's of the servo setup, as well as my front end shim setup. I actually want to go back and re-visit the amount of shims under the rack, as I would like to take out even more of the bump steer if possible, see what happens.

Cheers
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Speed Passion  F1 car - The SP1-img_6606.jpg   Speed Passion  F1 car - The SP1-img_6608.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks ED for sharing.....but may I ask, WOW...am I seeing almost all the soft plastic stuff still on your car? Do you want me to send over some aluminum options parts for you....? LOL

Well done.....see you in TITC 2015?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here is Rob King latest set up at the GATE....TCS rubber on carpet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SP1F1_gate.pdf (336.5 KB, 215 views)
Old 10-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Thanks ED for sharing.....but may I ask, WOW...am I seeing almost all the soft plastic stuff still on your car? Do you want me to send over some aluminum options parts for you....? LOL

Well done.....see you in TITC 2015?
Well, if your offering, rude to say no...
But your right, the only carbon reinforced bits on my car are the side links/football, and front uprights (still on my original set too). Everything else is kit plastics (front arms, servo mount, castor block), honestly haven't seen a need to upgrade, and I haven't broken any bits either!

TITC15 is looking unlikely, unless I can find a job that pays me lots and allows lots of time off...do such things exist?? Haha

Ed
Old 10-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Also attached are some photo's of the servo setup

I just "borrowed" your servo setup - strangely enough, it works so well that it seems as though this is what the designer of the car intended. Slightly lower CG, allows battery placement right up to the ideal spot, far more convenient access to the servo arm and screw, and provides more surface area to adhere the servo to the chassis and braces. So thanks for that!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Setup

I have a few questions first is what are you guys finding for a good ride height for this car at the gate they said we can use 3 mm min but what is UF1 ride height rules. Next is on the front end where do you adjust ride height from the arms or from the carbon plate that attaches to the chassis. I am having a problem with trying to get ride set equal all over but one side will be 4.5 and 4.0 on the other. I checked tweek and got the rear pod equal. The chassis is unequal from side to side. How much droop I the rear should I use?

Thanks for everybody's advice. Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.