R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #1201
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to big_ads

Have a car used only one race weekend and a couple practice nights. Gotta stick to team lines and have the Crc car now so going to sell the speed passion. Has some spares and changed the steering knuckles over to Crc. PM me for details if anyone is interested.
big_ads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #1202
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbamsey View Post
Will order those rear axle parts, my bone stock car i clipped the out side wall and did some damage well more like carnage

the one with 10 deg front end and steering upgrade started good First round tq 21 laps ride r1 all around 2nd round 17 laps with the pit tires could not apply any power car would just come around mains tried the tamiya 54198/54199 just couldn't put power down would come around. I went through car today couldn't find anything wrong with it nothing bent or binding.

one thing i noticed different on car with aluminum 10 degree block there are 3mm or so spacers on top of it and on stock plastic one they are under the plastic block i went through the instructions and could not find this in there anywhere is this something the previous owner did that is wrong i will try and get a picture of it tomorrow i am comparing both cars to the instructions and this is the only real difference besides ride height.
go here:http://www.speedpassion.net/us/download.asp
download :SP-1 185mm Track Width Setup pdf
build it like that
If you are doing front end parts, and run on asphalt, DON'T get the carbon front upper and lower arms get the stock ones BUT DO get the v2 carbon front upright

we run the tamiya FRONT tires with the PIT REARS, NEVER the tamiya rears. the other combo we run is pit front and rear 571/572
Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #1203
Tech Addict

I am new to the whole F1 scene what page or post number for upgrades i hear SP-1's are pretty durable for what they are designed to do.
I run my car on both paved and carpet track(snows gonna be here soon).
everyone i see running rubber tires. i am currently using Tamiya TCS tires not bad.

-Marc Gill
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #1204
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
go here:http://www.speedpassion.net/us/download.asp
download :SP-1 185mm Track Width Setup pdf
build it like that
If you are doing front end parts, and run on asphalt, DON'T get the carbon front upper and lower arms get the stock ones BUT DO get the v2 carbon front upright

we run the tamiya FRONT tires with the PIT REARS, NEVER the tamiya rears. the other combo we run is pit front and rear 571/572
Tore the car apart to nothing rebuilt it to instructions already had the upgraded steering arms ride height is high but will try it out sitting around 8.5mm front 9mm rear. Do have a few spacers and shims left over found a bad ball in steering arm also was real tight will try out tomorrow night will start with pit front and rear with battery all the way back
tbamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #1205
fmm
Tech Apprentice

Just a beginer questions:

I am trying to adjust the rear ride heigth. I guess I should do it by changing the plastic bushings or parts that support the rear axle. Am I right? Do I need to do anything with the rear shock?

I understand that the links and the side springs influence the way the car rolls, so what is it the mission of the rear shock? What are the settings of the rear shock? And which are their impac on the way the car drives?

Sorry for the silly questions but I am struggling with my f1 as I don't have previous experience with f1 or pancar (only with touring)

Thank you in advance!
fmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #1206
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

yes, rear ride height with the spacers the rear axle rides in

basically adjust the rear shock so the chassis and pod are flat to each other
Old 09-06-2014, 01:23 AM   #1207
fmm
Tech Apprentice

Ok, thank you very much!

And I assume that the front ride heigth is adjusted by the spacers that you put under the front arms, right?

What is the influence of the rear shock, for instance if I change the oil, piston, spring or position (spacers under the ball stund)?

Thank you very much in advance!!
Old 09-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #1208
Tech Champion

Some people use spacers under the front arms for ride height. I use spacers under the front suspension plate and servo mount so that the suspension geometry doesn't change when changing ride height. Some people use a combination of the 2.
www.apexrc.com - Hawaii's #1 RC Proshop

Share & Like Our Page:https://www.facebook.com/ApexRCProshop
Win free stuff!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #1209
fmm
Tech Apprentice

And one more question

How do you set up your break?

I have the inpression that adding a bit of drag brake, I have a better turn in and help to solve the understeering caused by the Ride tires (however it makes the car a bit more difficult to drive). I have now the drag brake set to 20% in my speed passion Reveton stock club race. How much of drag brake do you use?

In terms of percentage braking -ABS I have now 60% because the default setting was a bit to little (30%). Now I need to be very careful when I brake because I lose the rear of the car very easily. Which percentage are you using for braking-ABS?

I run a 17.5T speed passion motor.

Thank you in advance!
Old 09-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #1210
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm View Post
Ok, thank you very much!

And I assume that the front ride heigth is adjusted by the spacers that you put under the front arms, right?

What is the influence of the rear shock, for instance if I change the oil, piston, spring or position (spacers under the ball stund)?

Thank you very much in advance!!
The shock is kinda weird. I think it can depend on how you drive or the rest of your setup. I went from a 10lb spring all the way to a 22lb spring at a recent race. The two biggest things that happened is that the car had a little less mid corner steering, and it put a lot of heat into the front tires. When I went back down on spring, the fronts were better longer into the run. I was blowing off the fronts late in the run with the heavy spring.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #1211
fmm
Tech Apprentice

Sorry guys for all my questions but the f1 is being a difficult category for me

How do you align the main chassis and the rear pod? The point is that as the main chassis is thicker than the rear pod, I always end up with a small step. Can you help me with this one?

And also... Who do you make sure that the tweak of the car is the same in both side (I mean the links and the side spring tension)

Again apologize for the question bombarding, but you are helping me a lot!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:02 AM   #1212
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm View Post
Sorry guys for all my questions but the f1 is being a difficult category for me

How do you align the main chassis and the rear pod? The point is that as the main chassis is thicker than the rear pod, I always end up with a small step. Can you help me with this one?
I measure chassis sag from the main chassis itself. I like running the car flat, so set front ride height, then set the rear, and then set the centre spring preload so that the main chassis is the same height. Just take the difference of the chassis plate and pod thickness into account when setting ride height (for 5mm front, run 5.5mm rear, as the pod plate is 2.5mm thick vs the chassis plate 3mm).

Quote:
And also... Who do you make sure that the tweak of the car is the same in both side (I mean the links and the side spring tension)

Again apologize for the question bombarding, but you are helping me a lot!
For setting the side links up, I tighten the side link pivots down, but leave the football locknut screws loose. Then pick the car up, hold it vertically (with the front higher than the rear), then tighten the two screws that clamp the football in place. Should help the pod settle into the right position.
To get the side spring tweak right, I just get the springs just resting on the side links, and then resort to the same coin drop technique 12th scalers use. Mount up the race wheels and tyres, and then balance two coins on the fronts. Place a driver under the centre of the front of the chassis and slowly lift. Which ever coin drops first, indicates which side lifted first, so screw down the opposite side spring screw. Do 1/8 or 1/4 turns, until both springs drop equally. If you feel like your adding too much preload to the spring, you can back off the other spring, rather than tighten it down.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:07 AM   #1213
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Had a very good meeting with my SP-1 at our state titles this past weekend. Took the TQ, and won the 15minute final by over a lap and a half! Car has really been on a role recently, since making a few small changes to the setup. Has great steering, good corner speed, and is very consistent to drive. I'll get a full setup sheet done later, but for now most of the details are in here.

Ed Clark - QLD titles 2014 - build and setup

Ed
Old 09-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #1214
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Had a very good meeting with my SP-1 at our state titles this past weekend. Took the TQ, and won the 15minute final by over a lap and a half! Car has really been on a role recently, since making a few small changes to the setup. Has great steering, good corner speed, and is very consistent to drive. I'll get a full setup sheet done later, but for now most of the details are in here.

Ed Clark - QLD titles 2014 - build and setup

Ed
Congrats Ed! Looking forward to comparing setups.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #1215
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Congrats Ed! I too have great news regarding the SP1. Last weekend my car ran totally flawlessly at the Allstar race here in Malaysia. TQ'd and won with Nothing less than a fantastic car. Thanks Rob for all the help you have given me. The car is set up really well now and it's totally dialled. I gambled with changing to a fresh rear axle rebuilding the diff on race day morning but it turned out to be the best thing I did. Needed a tad of tightening after each heat but by afternoon it worked like a well-oiled machine. Err... I outclassed the field by a huge margin and never looked back. Score SP1!!!

I'll post my setup here soon. I'm sure there is still loads of performance to extract from this car and slowly but surely I'll get there.

F1win by SidhuD, on Flickr

==============
awww bollox....

Last edited by zephuros; 09-30-2014 at 09:50 AM.
zephuros is offline   Reply With Quote