R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #466
Tech Champion

I went with the 574 front tires and an additional 1mm shim on the bell crank ball studs for more ackerman. It wasn't a huge affect but it helped.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #467
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I went with the 574 front tires and an additional 1mm shim on the bell crank ball studs for more ackerman. It wasn't a huge affect but it helped.
Cool....I added the 1mm on the bell crank but I will try 2mm next time....will give a shot on the 574 front tires with softer insert. I will also try the stock SP front springs...and really want to see how to add more caster. Thanks....
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #468
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Cool....I added the 1mm on the bell crank but I will try 2mm next time....will give a shot on the 574 front tires with softer insert. I will also try the stock SP front springs...and really want to see how to add more caster. Thanks....
Yeah I'm running the SP-1 stock front springs and added 1mm on the ackerman over what was already installed stock so I think that is a 2mm spacer if I remember correctly.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #469
Tech Champion

Quote:
Yeah I'm running the SP-1 stock front springs and added 1mm on the ackerman over what was already installed stock so I think that is a 2mm spacer if I remember correctly.
I have to throw away all those Tamiya F103 F104 setup and restart on the SP1.....I have hardly ever remember to use silver or gold springs on the F103 and F104 and when I first used the SP1 stock spring, I was like....that spring is too soft and if the car is carrying the corner with that silver, it will just collapsed in like no time...

But I have to try that just to believe it....
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
Old 08-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #470
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

can you limit the front droop more?, that may help if it is weight transfer to the rear
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #471
Tech Elite

I have the battery all the way back and the car has a lot of steering. I had to go from stock SP front springs to Tamiya black. I also went with a Tamiya pitch shock so I could run a softer center spring.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #472
Tech Champion

Thanks for all the advise.....I drove Rob King's SP1 before and his car is the fastest on the track and his car has tons of steering.....TOO MUCH that I cannot even drive it except himself (just not the style that I like to drive on a F1 car).....at one point, he has to use the stock Tamiya front tires or the Pardas tires on front just to take off some of the steering.

Couple things I know I can do....softer springs, narrower rear track width...shorter wheel base (which Rob did that and I overlook that..). Camber change to 0.5* Possible checking to see do I really have 10* caster.....3mm ackerman setting.

I have my shorty lipo place FORWARD and hoping that will give me more steering...but may be I will change it to the full lipo and test it. However, placing the lipo at back only do give more rear traction as that is something I have tried on mod with foam tires on 215mm setup on the SP1.

Droop is set to zero now........the past weekend racing (vs 104 Verision 2, VBC and TRF101)....I can hear my car is screaming (front tires) by pushing all the way from middle of corner to exiting corner (ON POWER)....each corner causes me at least a tenth or so and each lap is about 0.4 behind the leader. Car handle just great without any weird acting at corner but just push at off power and push even more on power....I can use more drag brake to slow the car down before entering corner but that is just way too much throttle travel on each turn when running F1....those action will cause alot of time. If it is a 4WD that I can understand...but for 2WD, I should be able to carry on the throttle when it is at middle of corner and exiting corner...

If nothing work.....I will open up the 574 tires with the trued Tamiya foam tires with more air gap as the insert....
Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #473
Tech Champion

I believe I went with only about 20% drag brake...mainly to slow the car down coming out of the sweeper...it was coasting too much for me.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #474
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Add a little weight up front?
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #475
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Howard
Make sure the shock ball stud is in antenna hole on the upper deck. You will have to use a Tamiya long shock end.

You can also try stiffer center spring.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #476
Tech Apprentice

Hello Solara,

I have tested the new sweep racing v2 tires on the SP1 and I found that they would provide me a lot more steering on asphalt than the pit shimizu (without changing my setting).

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I hope this helps

Best regards
Zedsispeho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #477
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedsispeho View Post
Hello Solara,

I have tested the new sweep racing v2 tires on the SP1 and I found that they would provide me a lot more steering on asphalt than the pit shimizu (without changing my setting).

I hope this helps

Best regards
Nice, good to know..I was told the V2 is better, I will give that a try....thanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #478
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Just surveying those running 21.5 w/ rubber tires...

What rear axle spacers are you running to get ride height and what pinion/spur?
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #479
Tech Champion

Quote:
I believe I went with only about 20% drag brake...mainly to slow the car down coming out of the sweeper...it was coasting too much for me.
I was about the same, but after driving Rob King's car...slowing it down at the corner in order to give more steering does not get me the time to catch up, it need to carry the corner speed in order to pick up exiting corner... it is 2WD afterall and it just cannot pick up like a 4WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Howard
Make sure the shock ball stud is in antenna hole on the upper deck. You will have to use a Tamiya long shock end.

You can also try stiffer center spring.
I will have to try that next....again, I overlook your setup, again. Good luck at TCS National.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #480
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to kschu

anyone run ride R1 f1 preglued tyres here? i ran it and the car too much understeer....