Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'll be back into the CRC parts box tonight to see if their football and pivot ball fit.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Couple things I noticed today.

- When putting in the crescents for the ride height adjusters they need to face the same direction or the axle gets slightly misaligned. And by same way I don't mean both facing in or both facing out but both facing left or both facing right.

- In the addendum included with the instructions it shows two 1mm spacers to put in the rear wheels to space out the rear axle to 190mm. Mine did not come with those spacers. Was it supposed to? That aside...Looking at the left rear hub if you put 2mm of spacers in the wheel it is going to pull the wheel off of the inside hex so there will only be the 1 thin outer hex aligning the wheel. A better option would be to use axle spacers but to do that we'll need to widen out the flat spot a bit more on the axle.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

I did get a little packet of 4 washers. I did not like the way they felt in the wheel and took them back out. The provided washers are loose on the axle and do not extend far enough out to the edge of the wheel hex. The rims didn't sit flat either. I prefer they had something like the old Tamiya wheel spacers instead.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Tech Champion

Ran into a couple more issues...don't get me wrong I'm still very impressed with the quality of the kit and think it shows huge promise. I'm just hoping my input will help not just me but everyone as SP does seem to be paying attention to us here in the thread and that's a great thing to see!

Ok first issue...one of my front axles was too a bit too thick and I had to sand it to get the bearings to fit on them.

The second has to do with ride height...I'm trying to figure out how to get the front ride height set with Pit Shimizu rubber front tires. The stock settings have the front end at like 8.5mm high! If I put the spacers under the arms then the angle for the steering links gets all messed up...if I put the spacers under the plate then the servo mounts have to be raised as well. And if that's the case then the kit didn't come with enough spacers and longer screws to get the ride height down to around 4.5-5.0mm.

Additionally...all the rubber tire diameters are very close so it would be really easy to find out and include in the instructions a base line front spacer and rear ride height adapter setting to get close to the desired ride height.

Overall the kit is great! But there's a few tweaks I feel need to be done to make it work out of the box for both rubber and foam tires. Or at the very least have 2 kits...one a foam spec kit and one a rubber spec kit.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Champion

A 4 x 20 mm flathead screw and nylon locknut are perfect for the Tamiya front wings. I'm still waiting on spacers for the rear wing. I ordered some Axial black 4 x 6 mm to match the color of the kit anodizing. I think 2 of those, a 12mm screw and a flanged locknut in the upper hole will be just about right.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt

The second has to do with ride height...I'm trying to figure out how to get the front ride height set with Pit Shimizu rubber front tires. The stock settings have the front end at like 8.5mm high! If I put the spacers under the arms then the angle for the steering links gets all messed up...if I put the spacers under the plate then the servo mounts have to be raised as well. And if that's the case then the kit didn't come with enough spacers and longer screws to get the ride height down to around 4.5-5.0mm.
That's the step 12 issue: Extra spacers under the plate. It does leave steering linkage at a very odd angle, but it's not binding. I've left it that way for now on mine as Ackermann didn't seem to be affected terribly. How about with the horizontal servo add spacers under the steering rack and increase screw length by 2mm on the screw from the bottom?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 AM
Tech Champion

The CRC football is too narrow. I did get the Associated ball in place and repair my breakage in the stock football. The pivot ball is a direct replacement if needed.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Well I scrounged around in my spare parts boxes this morning and found some spacers and got to work on front ride height. I added 4mm of spacers under the front suspension plate and the servo mount and used inverted 1.5mm adapters in the rear to get a ride height of around 4.2mm in the front and 4.7mm in the rear with Pit Shimizu tires. I was shooting for 4.5mm front and 5.0mm rear so I got pretty close. I'm going to raise the ride height another .5mm though as under 4.5mm is too low for our track since it has banking.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Just ordered me the Qtec clamping hub for the F104 for my SP-1...with that I should be able to use axle spacers to widen the rear instead of the washers in the wheel.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Just ordered me the Qtec clamping hub for the F104 for my SP-1...with that I should be able to use axle spacers to widen the rear instead of the washers in the wheel.
I'm so... dense sometimes. I have a couple of those too, NOS from my F103 parts box and one of the 3Racing F104 in my current F1R spares box.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

I had one on the F1R I just sold...really like that hub. When you get a chance can you compare measurements between the stock hub + spacer and the Qtec one? Mine won't be here for a few days at the earliest. I also got some shims on the way from Reflex Racing with the hub to finish off getting the front ride height where I want it.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

SP1 - 34.65 mm from where the rim meets to the end of the spacer at the pod.
3Racing - 29.46 mm from where the rim meets to the end of the spacer at the pod.
Qteq - 29.13 mm from where the rim meets to the end of the collar at the pod.

Just a cheap caliper, but the SP1 is visibly wider than the F1R for sure.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Wheel adapters

Horizontal servo

Driver's Left Offset to stop hyperextension, still have to trim the servo saver.

Linkage showing the spacer stack.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
SP1 - 34.65 mm from where the rim meets to the end of the spacer at the pod.
3Racing - 29.46 mm from where the rim meets to the end of the spacer at the pod.
Qteq - 29.13 mm from where the rim meets to the end of the collar at the pod.

Just a cheap caliper, but the SP1 is visibly wider than the F1R for sure.
I figured it was...just was curious how much of a spacer is going to be needed with the Qteq one.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I like that servo mounting, but am worried by the strain I think it would put on the servo (and on the bellcranks). The servo saver and the bellcrank mount are moving on opposing arcs that only really line up in the middle. As such, I am concerned about the strain placed on both the servo and the bellcranks whenever you are at the limits of steering throw, since those are the places where the two arcs are diverging the greatest...if that makes sense.

I think the only modification I would want to try would be to try mounting the steering turnbuckles directly to the servo saver, ala 12th scale or any other pan car (and the F104, iirc).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.