Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
lrp brushless esc >

lrp brushless esc

lrp brushless esc

Old 10-19-2005, 04:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Someone on another forum asked that I post my troubles with the NEO, Sphere, and AE service on this forum, so here's the link:

My LRP Sphere/Reedy NEO Saga...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

TBone77 - Yup, that was an interesting post... thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Fantomcat
there is nothing wrong with the esc actualy, its all in the motor. first time i ran it it stuttered alot. now i cant even get down the strait at full speed anymore(more like1/3 speed ) i still use the esc, but in brushed mode, and it works great. im in the proccess of sending the motor back soon, so lets see what happens

It is still an LRP problem... wether its the Motor or the ESC. The Neo-One is exactly the same as the LRP Vector Brushless Motor... the only difference is the Reedy sticker on it. The reason you might be having no problems in brushed mode is because it does not involve the sensors.... so even if your Brushless Motor works... you still might have the same problems because of a defective ESC when using it Brushless mode.... just a thought you might want to know.... but best of luck with it anyway!

Old 10-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Well I saw my first Neo failure this past weekend and the lucky guy who fired it went right out and bough a Novak system only to fry the GTB speedo the following day.

Now I would have to say that both failures were the result of stupid user error. On the weekend race's friday practice session racer "X" killed his neo-1 motor and after inspection we found that he had been running a gear ration taller than even the stock guys. Typical stock fdr = 7.2-7.4, Racer "X"'s frd = 5.88.

The following day he arrived with a brand new GTB 5.5 and after a rew rounds was pleased with its performance untill he noticed that the colling fan was starting to clog with carpet and hit its thermal limit. After his cooling fan stopped working he removed it rather than clean it and proceded to the next heat where the speedo overheated and smoked. For the final day of racing he used the LRP speedo with the novak motor and everything was ok.

Its worth noting that all 3 GTB's in use at the race suffered cooling fan failures during the weekend and produced signifigantly more heat that the LRP unit.

Out of the 3 motors used, (Novak 5.5, 6.5 and Neo) the Novak motors had a more torq and the neo had more rpm and spooled out better down the straight. As expected the Novak 5.5 was the fastest but only a little stronger than the neo and the 6.5 was visably slower than reedy motor.

Overall I would say the 5.5 novak had the power of an 8T but had to be geared taller than than expected to get the top end. The Novak 6.5 unit had equivlent bottom end to the reedy but pegged out a good 4-5K less resulting giving it the powerband of an 11 or 12T.

The Neo had the most top end but did not have the bottom end grunt of the Novak 5.5 and when geared properly produced power in the 9-10T range.

Mark
Old 10-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Tech Legend

Still not -a problem with my Neo brushless ....

4- ever, what problem ?

You keep on posting there`s a problem , but please infrom everyone just what that problem is ....

I`m still a happy owner, and after over 130 battery packs !
Also just finnish Region 11 regional with my Neo`s to boot !
Every one there was impress by just how fast my Neo is....

Had fun watching the others grinding their com`s & going slower than me....

T-BONE
Ae will take care of the problem , they always do .....

Be more patience....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 10-19-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

George,

My Neo has been flawless for me too. This weekend I did get a chace to try it in brushed mode and although it worked fine I was not impressed. Brushed performance is comperable to the Novak GTB, or quantum2 & V7.1 and such but fell way short of my Tekin G10 Pro. For those into mod its great but I wouldn't recomment it for those who run primarily stock or 19T sedan, it just doesn't have the same smooth deceleration or bottom end grunt of the Tekin.

Mark
Old 10-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Legend

Mark , I think the Sphere in brush mode is smoother than the V-7 & has more punch than a Q2......

The extra fets in the Sphere makes it just like your Tekin .....

Still respect your opinion however....

Glad to c we both are loving the thing....

You put the fan on yet ?

And ....
that day we practice sedan ?

My duel rate was at 110 % for full thottle, no wonder you had speed on me....

Thought I turn down the brake EPA , dumb !
Old 10-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've been running the Neo/Sphere for about a month now and have been very happy with it. I race oval mostly, but lately I've been doing some offroad. The 2 oval tracks I race at it has won and TQ'd everytime I've ran it. Offroad it isn't doing so well, but it's user error .. All that loose dirt is messing with my hard packed clay mind.. I've found it to be very versatile and easily adjusted (though, the mode/set buttons, watch for blinking lights concept has been an adjustment, cuz I was 100% Novak for the last 18 years..)

Tbone, you say that they eventually did find a problem on your Sphere.. So why the rant? Defective product. This is a new system, and unexpected bugs are going to happen. It's like going to a mechanic.. You take your new car in, and it doesn't make the noise you've been hearing for the last week until you are driving it back home. I'll admit, it sounds like you talked to some dumbass people and I probably wouldn't have remained so calm in your shoes. But fubarred customer service isn't an LRP exclusive. A couple years ago when the Novak SS5800 first came out, I had problems out of Novak's "legendary" customer service. My ESC erupted in white smoke for no apparent reason. It was running along fine, geared according to their specs for my truck, I'd been checking the temp religiously cuz I'd heard the things were self destructing.. It never thermalled, and never even got hot. Then it suddenly went up in flames (smoke anyway) I sent it in and spoke to CharlieS.. It was determined that since they couldn't figure out what caused it, it had to be my fault and was thus, not covered by the warranty. Despite numerous reports of similar failures on the web, I was told it had to be something I did to it. So, I paid their blood money and got my new unit. A month or so later, that one had a slipped rotor. I sent it in, it was covered because it was a known problem and I got my 2nd new unit back, along with a hand written note stating that since I had used my warranty 2 times, I no longer had a warranty. Wasn't that cute? So, I sold the thing at a loss and went back to brush motors. Piss poor customer service isn't the exclusive domain of any company.

To Novak's credit, my bitching and moaning was eventually heard through a similar rant to yours on a message board, and CharlieS made it up to me by means I agreed not to disclose. Apparently, the hand written note was never intended to make it into my box and was a complete mystery to them.. However, after being a loyal Novak owner since my first T-4 in 1991(ish), I can now say I do not own a single Novak ESC, nor do I have any plans to in the near future. I've heard glowing reports of Novak, but my personal experience with them does not reflect that. Just as your experience with LRP doesn't reflect what most people report.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Check it out LRP is coming out with an upgraded Sphere and it looks awsome! http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/storie...hotproduct#565

Li-po compatitable, 3.5 turn limit, more adjustability. I'm getting one for sure.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

So LRP will have a new SPHERE ESC soon... hope they figured out all their problems.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

George,

Is anybody a TRCR using the fan? I was under the impression that it was only extra hot outdoor weather.

Mark
Old 10-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Tech Legend

Steath, is it working yet ? .....

Mark ,I have not as of yet even consider running the fan....

I run mostly Off-Road , so my Sphere & Neo only gets warm....

At the regionals we ran slicks , traction was very high ..
But even after running a whole pack down to nothing, my Neo only comes in at 120 degree`s.....

I checked other`s running standard brush`s motor`s , got burnt finger`s for my efforts......
Old 10-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Wild Cherry - Hhhmm... I guess you haven't figured it out yet but a bunch of us on this thread have been experiencing problems with the SPHERE & NEO-ONE system. Maybe if you go back a few pages you can start counting how many have posted their varying situations. Then again... that might be a tough task for you as TBone so thoroughly pointed out on his reply to you on rc10b4.com -

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
T-Bone if you needed to get your Sphere returned as soon as possible , why did`nt you pay for next day service ?

Your not gona think you should get this extra with out paying are you ?

Ranting bout how they should, or could of, is`nt gona make it so...

Still , after reading your posts it seems the UPS man is your problem not Ae`s....

No complaints for UPS though.....weird ?

They offered you the warranty policy. Thats all they are expected to do .....

Also wonder how you know its sensor problem ?

Could be , but how do you know ?

I have always have been treated fair & given fast service when I had a problem with a product from Ae !
They answer the phone & all my questions.....
patiences.......
You will be satisfied* !

*( when the Ups truck arrives)

TBone - "With all due respect, you did not read the thread very thoroughly.

1. THEY comitted to shipping it out on Thursday. They failed to do so.

2. As a result, I paid $30 for overnight service the following MONDAY and gave them my credit card. After not receiving it by WEDNESDAY, I contacted them only to find out that they still had posession of the product. Not only did they still have posession, but they took it upon themselves to ship it UPS 2nd Day.

I truly fail to see how this mistake on their part involves me or UPS in any way shape or form.

3. I should not have to pay for next day service when the product fails OUT OF THE BOX and the manufacturer has prohibited the distributor and dealer from handling defective products.

If I pay $300 for a product and it doesn't work from day one, I expect to either a) get a refund, or b) get a replacement IMMEDIATELY and WITHOUT HESITATION and AT NO CHARGE TO ME. The faulty product is the manufacturer's fault... why should I be penalized in any manner (financially or timewise) for their mistakes?

It's not like the product broke after 6 months. It was junk out of the box. I didn't pay $300 for a heap of plastic and a headache... I paid $300 for a speed control and a motor so I could go enjoy racing with my friends.

Lastly, whether it was a sensor issue or not is largely irrelevant to the situation. While it was rather obvious that it WAS a sensor issue, if you understand how brushless systems work, it's still a moot point: I bought a broken product, and AE failed every step of the way in correcting it.

Now, here's the original, relevant material that addresses your post:"

Originally Posted by TBone
After a long run around and explaining the ENTIRE situation 3 or 4 times, I finally get to someone in shipping. Using my $30, they agreed to ship it overnight the following day (Tuesday). Wednesday rolls around and no product arrives. I call AE about 4:30 their time to get a tracking number.

Him: “Oh it’s going out today UPS 2nd Day.”
Me: “UPS 2ND DAY?!?! WHAT THE CRAP? IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SHIPPED LAST THURSDAY. IT WASN’T. I PAID FOR OVERNIGHT SHIPPING ON MONDAY. IT DIDN’T HAPPEN. THEN IT WAS MOVED TO TUESDAY. THAT DIDN’T HAPPEN. NOW YOU’RE SHIPPING IT TODAY, WEDNESDAY, AND NOT EVEN USING OVERNIGHT SERVICES?! I’M NOT PAYING JACK FOR THAT SHIPPING, YOU KNOW!”

TBone - "To summarize:

- They committed to shipping it out (UPS Ground) on Thursday. They failed to do so.

- I paid them $30 to ship overnight on the following Monday as a result of their broken promise. Their mishap was about to cost me another race weekend, so I paid $30 to fix their mistake. That's a very important point there.

- THEY failed ship it overnight even after I paid them $30, hence they failed yet again. IN FACT, they took it upon themselves to ship it 2nd Day on WEDNESDAY. Heck, had I not called for a tracking number, I wouldn't have even known about it!!!

If you don't see the problem here, I don't know what else to say."

Wild Cherry - So you can do stupid wheelies... Bravo! You must have a nice set-up going there on your 2WD buggy! Continue your foolish sarcasm... sooner or later what goes around will definitley come around one way or another.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

i keep hearing mention of the reedy vector motor. what exactly is the vector motors stats? is it faster than the neo? or is it the same essentially?
(forgive me if i missed something that was posted earlier)
Old 10-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Tech Legend

Steath just read ...

Count how many have posted they had a problem ?

One or two .... You don`t count ( You don`t even have a Neo or a brushless yet )

Now count how many have posted how please they are with their Sphere & Neo brushless motor`s on this thread ?

lots of um, hummm ?

If I buy a bad speed-o. ( I have before)

I just used the warrenty service provided by the company that made it & wait for the unit to be replace or repaired....

I don`t say on internet, don`t buy one cus I got a bad one..... WAAAAA !

It took um 2 weeks !!! WAAA !

Lrp , Novak , Tekin ....

They all can make a mistake...
Their products are still very good, as is their service you recieve when there is a problem....

Now if T-bone could`nt get his ESC repaired or the warrenty respected, I would stand right behind you and him ....

But that did not happen did it ?

He got the unit replaced in 2 weeks !!!

no charge even ...

That sounds like dang good service from Ae don`t you think ?

And....
Guess what ?
Over 140 battery`s packs so far....

No problems....(cept the ones you made up)

Guess your right, I`m getting whats coming to me....

BDW
My set-up on my B-4 is the same one Billy used to win worlds ..
I used it to qualiflied 3rd in the region 11 champ`s last weekend...

Everyone was very impress how fast my Neo & B-4 performed... ( all weekend)

Wheelie`s & all....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 10-21-2005 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I agree with the guy on the screwed up shipping, no way I would have eaten that $30 charge. I would have spoken to a manager at that point, someone that DOES have the stroke to make things happen, not some minimum wage box packer..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.