Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Use Race Old TC3 or Get New SpecR S-1 or Sakura S? >

Use Race Old TC3 or Get New SpecR S-1 or Sakura S?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use Race Old TC3 or Get New SpecR S-1 or Sakura S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Use Race Old TC3 or Get New SpecR S-1 or Sakura S?

I am making my not-so-triumphant return to racing, and have been trying to decide what to do for my second class. I picked up a second-hand M03R and that has been extremely fun, but when I go to race, it seems kind of silly for me to be there from 8:30 to 5 and only run in 3 heats. Thus, I have decided to go for a second class.

Here are my choices: RCGT (17.5 blinky, realistic looks), USVTA, or stock touring car. These hold the most appeal for me right now with my skill level. Now for the question. What car? I think the TC3 would probably be fine in USVTA, but I would have to buy the spec motor/esc, body, tires, etc., which would not be super cheap. I have a motor/esc, tires, and a body for the other two, but I am not sure the TC3 would be anywhere near keeping up. In addition, I would like to get my hands on something that is nice and easy to drive. So what do you guys think? Should I keep the TC3, or get one of the new SpecR S1s or Sakuras?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

I believe this discussion is relevant :

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post11759669
Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Spec-r S1
Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Stock TC and USGT, in your case, should be almost the same speed i think. Normally USGT is run with a 21.5 motor. I would look really hard at VTA, speeds are a little slower and with a tc3 that will help even things out. Plus should lead to less broken parts!

Later when you are more comfortable and decide if you like it or not, you can invest in a newer chassis and move up to USGT or TC.

For chassis, locally Xray is the brand to run. A used T3 '10-'12 can be had used for as little as $200-$250 with some extras/upgrades and will be a durable front runner.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

RCGT in our area runs 17.5, actually. It makes it so that folks can run several different classes just by changing bodies, which is cool. Anyway, by the time I get all of the parts for VTA, I will be pretty close to the cost of the S1 or Sakura S. That is kind of why I was bringing this up. The spec motor thing kind of kills it for me, unless there is some kind of brushed equivalent to 25.5 out there...
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have ordered the Spec-R S1 myself, the reason for this over the Zero S is simple, spool and geardiff verses dual ball diffs. Spec-R is out of the box just how i like my cars while the 3 racing needs upgrades to both diffs just as a starter.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 AM
Tech Champion

I would be inclined to try out the S1 as you will have a new car to work with and although it is more expensive than a used car such as the tc3, it is good value for what you get.

I have seen the S1 used at my local club and it is easily competitive against the top end kits (13.5 blinky), makes the A final most of the time.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GeekSpeed
RCGT in our area runs 17.5, actually. It makes it so that folks can run several different classes just by changing bodies, which is cool. Anyway, by the time I get all of the parts for VTA, I will be pretty close to the cost of the S1 or Sakura S. That is kind of why I was bringing this up. The spec motor thing kind of kills it for me, unless there is some kind of brushed equivalent to 25.5 out there...
Why does a spec motor kill it for you? Not sure how that's much different than saying "for TC you need a 17.5"? This make's it easier to ensure that everyone is on equal footing and there's not a motor of the week/month treadmill.

Still suprised they are honoring the spec motor for VTA but running USGT as 17.5. Are you running outdoors by chance?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

The reason why it kills it for me right now is that I don't have a brushless setup of any kind. I still have a perfectly useable brushed 27t setup that I can use in TC (specified in the rules as 27t/17.5t) and PROBABLY can use in USGT, even through 27t is not specifically mentioned. I would need to check on that first, obviously. I would prefer not to buy a whole new motor/esc setup if it is not totally necessary. My question is not about competitiveness, per se, but what is going to be the easiest to learn how to drive and what is more forgiving. Is one of the newer cars that I mentioned going to be easier to drive than the TC3?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I don't think a new car would be any easier to drive than a tc3. With a little setup work you could have the tc3 working pretty well. The only issue I see is the tc3 is a heavy car (you could always dremal out some of the chassis ) but that won't make a difference on learning driving skills. If you can pick up a used tc3 for $50-70 I go with that and upgrade to a new car when your skill improves.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Tech Initiate

I am really impressed with the Sakura zero s. I find it very adjustable and very competitive especially for the cost. I drove a tc3 when they first came out and I cannot say anything bad about it. It is heavy but a tank rarely breaks. I do not have any experience with the spec R car.
For a car to be easy to drive it must be set up and tuned well. I would suggest that all 3 cars will do what you want if set up well.
I would look around the local track and go with the car brand that the best set up teachers have. A fast car driven by a willing and knowledgable teacher will have you on the way to a very enjoyable time. I am sure any of the cheaper cars will fill the bill.
That is the important formula that you want to find the answer to. It's not just about the car