Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Do you get 50/50 enjoyment out of this hobby.... >

Do you get 50/50 enjoyment out of this hobby....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Shouldn't it be that way?

That's how it used to be for me when I raced off-road but ever since I've been back into it with on-road I'm finding that it's about 80% enjoyment out of working on them and racing them is only like 20%. It's almost at a point where I take so long working on my car getting it the way I want that sometimes I don't feel like putting it on the track.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

I get most of my enjoyment from being at the track with the "boys" and racing. I hardly ever work on my cars between race days.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

I spend most of my rc time in the pit than on the track....yeah it sucks.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I agree, I like working on them as much as racing them. Nitros though, the soldering of elec makes me long for gassers during the winter.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

I don't think you can really seperate the two elements...they are one in the same. They are both critical to the hobby and you have to be good at both in order to be good and get the most enjoyment out of it.

If you dislike working on the car then you should probably get a RTR and just run the car and mess around out there...have fun. You really shouldn't care how well the car performs then if you are not willing to put in the time. Sounds like you want to run competitively but not have to work on your car.

I do spend more time in the pits than I do racing however. But I enjoy working on the car and motors and the like. Actually, in order to make sure that I spend as much time on the track as possible when I am racing or practicing, I do all the work on my cars at home. After each race or each day of practice, I actually to a complete teardown and reassembly of my car and setup. This ensures that when I get to the track, I am ready to run. All I have to do is charge a battery and make minor tweaks to the setup during the course of the day. The only teardowns I do at the track are when I break
Old 05-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

just remeber getting your car to get faster is half the hobby, the other half is proving it's faster.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default yea...

that's why I like a chassis that is easy to work on and tune. Who has time to spend hours working on it. Work, kids and etc. Seems like this hobby is more suited for the single person. Things change after racing more than a few times a month. Now, I would rather be driving than wrenching. I must have spend 17 hours rebuilding and setting my car up. Although, it does make a difference when you take your time. If it were up to me, my biggest request would be make a design that makes the most out of the parts. I mean, I want the parts to last over a longer period of time. Things like wheel hub bearings, they go out fast with the TC4. I hate replacing bearings all the time. I have to say that the Xray or the Pro 4 seem appealing because of this one little issue. I also like that the Xray uses external diff adjustments and ball swivels instead of ball cups. The car seems to require less rebuilds. Oh, why don't I just get one!

Last edited by RCknight; 05-03-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

I really long for the good ol days when we had to make specialized cars, like dirt oval cars. Man that was fun making your thoughts work on the track.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 PM
RDR
Tech Apprentice

I agree!! it's about 70/30 for me, I like sitting down and tinkering with the car, and spendind wads of cash to tinker a little more!!! Throw in a little racing to justify the car you have, and fill that adrenalin void. It always makes me sad to spend hours on a new body, and it bebashed to crap after one day at the track
Old 05-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Here's my mix!

100% racing
100% building/tuning
100% friendships on and off track
100% thinking and dreaming while at work

All togther I enjoy all aspects and its the sum total that makes it sooooo adictive for me.

Brant
Old 05-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

75% Pleasure
25% Pain, when thing don't work right or break.

Paul
Old 05-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

for those of you who dont know him, pooky is telling the truth....if everyone in rc was as fun to race with as he is....no telling how much bigger it would be.....

now if he would just go metric.....
Old 05-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Mdoc
for those of you who dont know him, pooky is telling the truth....if everyone in rc was as fun to race with as he is....no telling how much bigger it would be.....

now if he would just go metric.....
Man!!! Feell like I'm being stalked around here! LOL

Brant
Towel Boy
B-Main Motorsports
Old 05-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Cool Better said than I was trying too....

Throw in a little racing to justify the car you have, and fill that adrenalin void. It always makes me sad to spend hours on a new body, and it bebashed to crap after one day at the track
also.....Koabich

[/QUOTE]If you dislike working on the car then you should probably get a RTR and just run the car and mess around out there...have fun. You really shouldn't care how well the car performs then if you are not willing to put in the time. Sounds like you want to run competitively but not have to work on your car.[/QUOTE]

It's not that I'm not willing (I do the work now on my TC) just that it's not balanced, which is why I'm seriously thinking of getting a F1 or 1/12th car, they have to be easier (scratch that I mean quicker) to work on surely?

And as such I'm figuring the balance should return and I can leave the TC for bigger meetings.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I love the racing part. But I also like the part where you hang out with friends at the track and traveling to new places. I don't care too much on cleaning up the car. But I really love building new kits. Maybe that's why I'm apart of the "new car of the week" club... hehe. I usually get a new kit.. build it.... but end up selling it as well. However, my main race car is one that I'll keep for a couple years. All in all.... It's a fun hobby. That's why I do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.