R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #91
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm Back!

I ran a few different 17.5 motors this past weekend at our State race, none of which included the D3.5. I was testing a few for the ROAR asphalt Nats. The Speed Passion MMM ran extremely well with the stock Rotor and the green timing board. I was sitting second on the Board with that run. I ran it again on the second run with a little more timing in the motor and a little more gear and she got a little hot, 180 range and my time did not improve. On my third run with the same gearing as the second run I ran the Team Powers motor with Stock rotor and it was a beast. Came off the track with a 5 second improvement over the run and 50 degrees cooler. I decided to run it in the main and again similar results, finished 4th due to being accidentally taken out 2 minutes in came off 10 degrees warmer than my last qualifier. That is probably due to running the car a little harder trying to catch up.

Everyone running in the race had a D3.5 and both motors were just as good if not better when it came to rip and top end.

I was very happy with Both motors, I feel I could have fine tuned the MMM a little more to get the temps down a little bit but ran out of time.

Hope this helps.
DischargeRC.com - Race-Opts MTS T2 - TRINITY FOR POWER
Robertcooper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #92
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
You don't seem to understand heat fade !!! If I attend the nats with only two rotors vs twelve( Team drivers), I will End up with less powerful rotors for the mains.....

But can you quantify the effect in actual difference in lap times. I suggest that the difference is so small as to be insignificant. I have been running the same motor for the last 12 months, I regularly hit 100 Deg C can temps, like a couple of times every race meeting and it still delivers consistent lap times to within 0.1 of a second of the times set when it was brand new and that is from a motor that has been flogged to death for 12 months. So the performance loss due to weakening rotors over the course of a race meeting would be somewhere close to 0.001 of a second per lap. So unless you drive a perfect race and lose by 0.01 of a second, there is no gain other than purely a placebo type effect on confidence.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #93
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
You don't seem to understand heat fade !!! If I attend the nats with only two rotors vs twelve( Team drivers), I will End up with less powerful rotors for the mains.....
After 1 full season of racing (over 9 race meets) with my 17.5 D3, talking about temps 200F off every qualify/main (140F track temp), the rotor only dropped about 15-20 points total. Care to guess what happens to your fresh rotor in the nats?

Do you have a gauss meter to check these readings?

Do you think pro drivers will change rotors each qualify/main even if they can?
Serpenteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #94
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

These heat fade tests have been done already, and it's proven that rotors lose their strength the more you run them hot, which will most likely be the case when racers try to push things to their limits.... How much do these rotors lose ? I heard of a 100gauss or so after two hot races, but it will vary and inevitably get worse over time... My argument was more geared towards teams getting the best rotors out there(more gauss from the start) , rather than trying to stuff more magnetism in already weak rotors... Why is there that top 5% rotor deal floating in the air nowadays ??? Because racers will try to pick the best rotors naturally, after the Team ones are set aside of course..
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote