Wiki Posts
Search

Help me build a Lancia Stratos.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Help me build a Lancia Stratos.

Here's whats going on. I really want to build a Lancia Stratos, but due to lack of bodyshells, and complete lack of good chassis to run them I'm at a bit of a loss.

I originally wanted to use the HPI Cup Racer Stratos body as it looks really nice and I prefer smaller scale cars, but the cup racer is discontinued, and the HPI Switch is cheap low quality and FWD. I figured I could find another chassis it would fit on, but so far, no luck.

The HPI body has a 210mm wheelbase and is 160mm wide. I thought a Tamiya M chassis would work, as you can do some goofy stuff to adjust their wheelbase, but I'm pretty sure the front shock towers are too tall. The cup racer has lie down front shocks and the nose of the stratos is incredibly low. The Tamiya Tamtech GT-01 looked promising but the wheelbase is much too short.

My current thought is to get a part 3D printed that works as a spacer between the tub, and gearbox housing for the GT-01 chassis. 3D modeling and design is not going to be an issue as I do this stuff anyways, but I'd rather not go too custom if possible.

Here's my criteria.
•RWD - Like the original
•Relatively high, or adjustable ground clearance, as it's a rally car and should be run as one.
•Availble hop ups and tire options, especially rally tires.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I painted the HPI Cup Lancia Stratos up for a local kid to run on his Tamiya M-05 chassis and it fit okay (and took a lot of abuse). The front of the body was slammed on the chassis, but it still looked decent. I know we had to use body posts from a different m-chassis kit, but I don't remember which end we used them on. Thankfully the part bag with the body posts are fairly cheap.

Not sure if the body will fit on the M-06. There is an M-chassis thread here in the on-road forum and a M-06 thread. I would post about body fit on M-chassis cars in those threads.

Would a 1/12 scale pan car chassis work?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

If you don't mind running the body a few mm higher, then it will fit the M06 chassis at the front.
At the rear where the motor sits you would have to cut part of the lower bumper out to clear the rear mounted motor.
But if you want RWD and plenty of tuning options, adjustable ground clearance and rally tyres, then the Tamiya M06 is your best choice.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

M06 seems like a pretty good option. Not sure how I feel about chopping out part of the rear bumper, I wish I could find someone who did it so I could see how it looks.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Traxxas rally perhaps
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Rally Legends sells an RTR version... or just the shell. It's standard 1/10

http://rallylegendsrc.com/index.php?...&product_id=53

they have a clear Stratos and 3 or 4 differnt pre painted schemes...

We are doing a review of the car for an upcoming issue of RCTUNER.

Originally Posted by Finchypoo
Here's whats going on. I really want to build a Lancia Stratos, but due to lack of bodyshells, and complete lack of good chassis to run them I'm at a bit of a loss.

I originally wanted to use the HPI Cup Racer Stratos body as it looks really nice and I prefer smaller scale cars, but the cup racer is discontinued, and the HPI Switch is cheap low quality and FWD. I figured I could find another chassis it would fit on, but so far, no luck.

The HPI body has a 210mm wheelbase and is 160mm wide. I thought a Tamiya M chassis would work, as you can do some goofy stuff to adjust their wheelbase, but I'm pretty sure the front shock towers are too tall. The cup racer has lie down front shocks and the nose of the stratos is incredibly low. The Tamiya Tamtech GT-01 looked promising but the wheelbase is much too short.

My current thought is to get a part 3D printed that works as a spacer between the tub, and gearbox housing for the GT-01 chassis. 3D modeling and design is not going to be an issue as I do this stuff anyways, but I'd rather not go too custom if possible.

Here's my criteria.
•RWD - Like the original
•Relatively high, or adjustable ground clearance, as it's a rally car and should be run as one.
•Availble hop ups and tire options, especially rally tires.