Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New ESC decision >

New ESC decision

New ESC decision

Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New ESC decision

I run 17.5 and i am looking at a new speedo the ones that i have in mind are the following.

new hobby wing
lrp flow works team
orca vx3

when looking for a speedo for 17.5 what should i be looking for in relation to power delivery

Thanks
Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Orca orca orca lol lol that's all u need to know
Old 04-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The New Hobbywing XR10 pro is incredible it's predecessor v3.1 was arguably the best esc on the market for a very long time. The XR10 is even better.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

Could you guys elaborate more in detail on what makes a great esc? I'm also running 17.5T, but with a cheap trackstar ESC. I am as fast as any other guy on the straight, so where would an ESC upgrade actually help me?
Old 04-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It can help you empty your wallet.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

I have not used the Orca VX3 but I have used the LRP Flow and Hobbywing v3.1. The Hobbywing v3.1 is the best ESC I have ever used so I assume the new XR10 is just as good or better. I don't think you can go wrong with the Hobbywing if that's what you decide to get.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by andrewd
I run 17.5 and i am looking at a new speedo the ones that i have in mind are the following.

new hobby wing
lrp flow works team
orca vx3

when looking for a speedo for 17.5 what should i be looking for in relation to power delivery

Thanks
Here is usually my approach to new gear...

I'd look at who is running what brand speedos around you. It's nice to have someone running the same gear to work with for programming and speedo set-ups.

Another thing to consider... What else are you running now? I'm personally using ORCA gear. I run them in all my cars. It's easy for me because I know them and I only have one set of programming gear that I need to carry with me to the track. If I have a failure... I can pull one out of another car if needed with minimal changes or adjusting...

The new HobbyWing looks impressive... We have a couple of guys at the track putting them in their cars... I'm interested to see what they think.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've used an ORCA VX3 for several months and just recently switched to an LRP Flow with their 5.4 Stock Software in my 17.5 TC. In my opinion:
  • ORCA VX3 - Linear power delivery and braking. Very precise feeling. Finer adjustments via the program box.
  • LRP Flow (w/ v5.4 software) - Progressive power delivery and braking feel.
Both ESCs feel smooth. But, because I don't have much finesse in my throttle and braking control, the LRP is the better fit for me.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The new hobbywing ESC with wifi programming seems super sweet. I am wondering if the same wifi module could be used in the older v3.1 models.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The new hobby wing is too new so can't really say how it is but the 3.1 that preceded it have brake strength issue with some 17.5 on the market. hobby wing have great programing tools and more features overall so it might be what you like.

Lrp flow is so far my best performing ESC although it is also the worst in terms of ease of programing. throttle and braking are both very smooth and feels connected. Much stronger braking than HW 3.1in my experience and it makes a huge difference.

I've never used VX3 so can't say too much about it other than a local fast guy likes it a lot so I'm guessing it is pretty solid choice.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:05 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The new Hobbywing XR10 Pro's biggest feature is PWM, which Orca currently has. I find my Orca VXX and VX3 are very lacking in the brakes and drag braking department but fantastic everywhere else.

I hope the XR10 Pro could combine the smoothness of the Orcas with better brakes. (The V3.1 is also pretty smooth and I have a few of them too)
Old 04-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

I just purchased a LRP spin and can't tell you if it's good or bad. I'm still waiting for my 17.5 to arrive.
However, I would like to know more about the Orca , as far as price, and where to find it.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You can use the hobbywing wifi box on anything that supports the lcd box. So any modern hobbywing esc will be compatible.
Im excited to get my xr10pro. I expect more of the same reliability really just more power. It also supports high voltage servos if your receiver allows it.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I was running a Tekin RSX in my 21.5 car and an RX8 in my 1/8 with a couple of RS Pro and an RS Gen 2 in my Buggys, then the RX8 smoked, contacted Tekin, and it was painful, was on a budget so chucked a cheapy Trackstar in my 1/8. It's been a rock. So I have changed everything to the Trackstar, I've been racing for 10 yrs, and they are no slower than the Tekins, the warranty is 1 yr instead of 90 days, they are 1/3 the price, and instead of fighting you on warranty, a picture or video showing the ESC doesn't work is sufficient for a claim in most cases.

So why would I buy another $100-$200 esc?

I can now afford a spare esc in the pit bag as a just in case, but looking like I won't even need it, but it's made things a lot less stressful. We rationalize the higher cost for better support / service etc, but sometimes thats complete bs.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if you are not in a hurry, might want to wait a while for newer versions of speedos from the top manufacturers as the word from TITC was that they'll be releasing new ESCs this year.

Praying that this time around that rumors are true

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.