R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-05-2005, 03:50 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Originally posted by John Fontaine
No, but I find it strange that you breast feed Stan.
STAN STICKLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:00 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Water can kill.

Try not to Inhale it. Only a tablespoon will kill you.....
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #33
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to g_bruin Send a message via Yahoo to g_bruin

As someone with some health & safety training, I'd like to share a couple of points.

Incidental airborne exposure to most chemicals we use in our hobby poses no more risk than incidental exposures to secondhand smoke, car exhaust, household chemicals. Doesn't mean that we should go ahead and not worry about it. Just be practical.

However, if you were to start feeling nauseous, then that is an indication that you ARE being overexposed and you should get some fresh air. (duh, like that doesn't make sense... ).

Exposures to soldering fumes can be dangerous over the long run especially if it is lead based. Definitely use a fan to vent away the fumes. Exposures to metal dust will mainly cause irritation of the lungs but shouldn't result in permanent damage.

Skin contact with solvents such as motor spray, nitro fuels, etc. should be minimized to prevent the occurence of rashes known as dermatitis. But if you only do it a couple of times a week, then we can agree that the risk is pretty low.

Now if you do this 8 hours/day for 40 hours/week, then it makes sense that additional precautions is needed to reduce exposures as much as possible.

I almost want to say use "Common Sense" but that phrase doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. Be practical and use protection when you can to minimize. As a racer, I don't go overboard worrying but I do take practical precautions so that I know I will around to enjoy this hobby for a long long time.

P.S. Socal Raceway does have a strong constant Paragon odor, but nothing that we should worry about. Heck, the workers are there full time and they seem pretty normal...
g_bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #34
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

An additional information to the aluminium:
The fine aluminium dust is very dangerous since it is EXPLOSIVE. Don't smoke while grinding your alu parts.
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:19 PM   #35
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by speedxl
A large number of autotechnicians get cancer, pulmanary dieses(spelling), and nervous system problems. I worked as a tech for 14 years and my Father since he was a kid now he is 65. Our hands look beat up not from the physicall beating but more from the chemicals we have used to clean parts with.
Oh great I've got something to look forward to. I am doing an dual-enrollment automotive program thing next year, my senior year of highschool and after that I'm going to UTI to become a automotive technician. oooooh well.
Jimmy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:35 PM   #36
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

ah dam we all are going to die!
Pemberton / R1 / All out motorsports / Team Power Push
speedxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Ya, ever hear about the guy who was living a perfectly careful life? ate well, went to the doctor regularly for checkups, excersed, didn't smoke, he did everything to live healthy! poor guy choked on his rice cake, and died! (thats just a saying i've heard) point is you can be only so careful, somethings are just out of our hands, be aware, but don't burrie your head in the sand, affraid of your own shadow.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #38
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally posted by g_bruin
......P.S. Socal Raceway does have a strong constant Paragon odor, ...
After being away from the hobby a while, that odor/ smell is soooooo refreshing. In fact, I think SoCal should bottle it.

If it weren't for that delightful odor, my wife would suspect me of doing something else in my spare time. However I always stay true to RC racing.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 AM   #39
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Yeah CA does not smell good when heated up lol..

At work we use this stuff called "pickleing paste" to clean the colour out of welds. Its basically a strong acid that you leave on the weld for 20 minutes then clean off. I made the mistake of putting it on a weld jsut after it had been welded, the smoke that came off it nearly knocked me out, it was disgusting it burned your nose and throat.

So, dont heat up chemicals!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=navy]Paul Heyhoe[/COLOR][/SIZE]
pheyhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #40
Tech Regular

pheyhoe sure you didn't make mustard gas???
Just be a lot more careful when and what you weld especially if you use solvent to clean part pior to welding!
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote