Wiki Posts
Search

cornering

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Default cornering

G'day,

I have a mini cooper with a sports tuned brushed motor and whenever I go down to the track I see the guys with their touring cars and when they go in and out of corners, its just so smooth. Really rapid braking down to the corner and lightning fast acceleration out of the corner. Now I know my car is not as fast but I just can't to slow down to a corner that smooth. Do brushless motors have better braking, or is it just the guy controlling it, or the transmitter or the ESC?

Cheers
Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Touring cars are 4wd. Assuming you have a tamiya M03 its a fwd chassis so the cornering will not be as exact or as fast. Also most Touring cars are more advanced racing chassis with better suspension geometry than the average FWD mini class car.

Its just one of the things that makes the FWD mini class great fun in its own way. You wont ever match the Touring cars, but the key is to match and beat the other mini's you are racing against.

Brushless is no smoother, in some ways its actually a little more aggressive as it has a lot of torque through the rev-range compared to brushed motors.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Cheers mate, thanks for the reply, it makes better sense now. It's an M05 that I have and I might try a brushless in it, and see how different it feels. I actually didn't know that the touring cars were 4WD. I'm still learning a lot. Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's probably nothing to do with the motor, and everything to do with the chassis tuning and the person behind the wheel.

-Mike
Old 03-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

It's a comparison of a Mini to a full-tilt touring car. They are not even in the same league. It's like comparing your Yugo cornering and acceleration to a Ferrari. I had a Mini for a short time and it was considerably different than driving my 17.5 TC. It was fun in its own right, but nowhere near the capabilities of the TC.

I think the OP is just getting into the hobby and is seeing the differences between the classes. It can be an eye opener.