Wiki Posts
Search

New to On-Road ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default New to On-Road ?'s

We just got a site approved to set up a on-road course on 2 abandoned tennis courts approx. 120x120 fenced in. ?'s are;

Is this big enough for an 1/10 on-road track- electric ? nitro?

What is the difference between VTA - Touring - Pan cars?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EvanAZ
We just got a site approved to set up a on-road course on 2 abandoned tennis courts approx. 120x120 fenced in. ?'s are;

Is this big enough for an 1/10 on-road track- electric ? nitro?

What is the difference between VTA - Touring - Pan cars?
The size is a decent size. 120x120 then subtract for pits etc. Try to keep a 120 ft straight.

VTA is old school american bodies on Touring cars with limited motors and speed controls and batteries.

Touring car is typically 17.5 motors with a blinky speedo

Pan cars are like 12th scale a very flat car that is 2wd

If available I would suggest going to a hobby shop and poking around if you can. Otherwise if there is another on-road track somewhat local to go see what it is all about.

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
there is a link to some VTA info

Roarracing.com is good starting point for Touring and 12th for motors, esc's, and batteries.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NolanP
The size is a decent size. 120x120 then subtract for pits etc. Try to keep a 120 ft straight.

VTA is old school american bodies on Touring cars with limited motors and speed controls and batteries.

Touring car is typically 17.5 motors with a blinky speedo

Pan cars are like 12th scale a very flat car that is 2wd

If available I would suggest going to a hobby shop and poking around if you can. Otherwise if there is another on-road track somewhat local to go see what it is all about.

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
there is a link to some VTA info

Roarracing.com is good starting point for Touring and 12th for motors, esc's, and batteries.
Thank you, closest shop is 30+ miles away, they do have an on-road inside but it looks like its for 1/12. I've run their off road, just don't get down there much.

The pits will be outside the fence and stand will be right up against it to help maximize the actual track. We may have to leave the net post in but I think we can work around them.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EvanAZ
Thank you, closest shop is 30+ miles away, they do have an on-road inside but it looks like its for 1/12. I've run their off road, just don't get down there much.

The pits will be outside the fence and stand will be right up against it to help maximize the actual track. We may have to leave the net post in but I think we can work around them.
Well if your serious about setting that up I would invest the weekend to go down and watch and learn. If your are just doing this with a few friends and not going to have any organzation cool. But if not I would go check the on-road program out one weekend.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NolanP
Well if your serious about setting that up I would invest the weekend to go down and watch and learn. If your are just doing this with a few friends and not going to have any organzation cool. But if not I would go check the on-road program out one weekend.
Yup, will do that.

We have an off-road program up and running and soon a crawler course.

Here is a link to our FB page,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Over-...44652455636350
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't forget WGT and Oval.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Going to CH is a first step but there is very little on-road that happens there, only 12th and a mixed TC WGT class sometimes, the best thing you can learn from there is what not to do with your program. If you want to see a thriving on-road make the trip up to the Gilbert Hobby Town on a Sat, thats the place to learn from.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are a number of tracks in Australia set up on 2 old Tennis courts, or things of almost identical size. Look up Fairy Meadow in Illawarra, SMA in Tempe, Sydney, Bendigo in Victoria off the top of my head.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chris moore
Going to CH is a first step but there is very little on-road that happens there, only 12th and a mixed TC WGT class sometimes, the best thing you can learn from there is what not to do with your program. If you want to see a thriving on-road make the trip up to the Gilbert Hobby Town on a Sat, thats the place to learn from.
Thanks, I will be in PHX next weekend and will try to stop by. Do you know what time on-road racing starts?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Radio Active
There are a number of tracks in Australia set up on 2 old Tennis courts, or things of almost identical size. Look up Fairy Meadow in Illawarra, SMA in Tempe, Sydney, Bendigo in Victoria off the top of my head.
Awesome to here, this one looks about the size of our area.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.