R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default Do drift car make good touring cars

I was wondering if anyone has experminted by taking a drift car, such a tamiya tb03 vds or the tamiya ta05 vdf and converted them to make a touring car, and how they handle etc, I had a ta03f david jun back in the day and it was an amazing touring car, and now it is a popular drift car, so wanted to know if its possible to do it the other way around, a high end drift car to an amazing touring car.
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Can you do it? Of course you can, will it be good? well no better than the tourer it was based on. If you are poverty stricken and this is your only option to take your current drifter and turn it into a tourer so that you can race, then go for it. Any car and being able to race is better than no car at all. If it is only about you having fun, then go for it also, as there is no substitute for fun and enjoyment out of a hobby. If you are doing it because you think this will turn you into a Ronald Volker, then forget it, because a dedicated tourer is always going to be better all round as it is designed for the purpose.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That is true for anything. Just use what you got. If you really like it after trying it then get something better latter if you feel you need too.
Spectrum Pro, RC8BE, B44,T8TE, MP9e tki3
jwmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Atsushi Hara has done it at Ride Cup rd2 in 2011 using a Hot Bodies TC-FD.

The principle is solid, a lot of the drift cars have centreline motor configurations, combined with latitudinal battery. So if you ran a shorty lipo you could have a very centre balanced car.

I imagine the CG would take a bit of a hit with the spur mounts and so on so high, and combined with an extra belt which most drifters seem to use it might not be any good for blinky classes.

You would need to use conventional diff setups, not locked and one ways everywhere, and take out any CS, as well as any funky Ackerman changes....

I guess if your bored, and drive mod, and have some money and time to burn you could get a nice car out of it. Maybe...
Supporting Aussie hobby shops:
- www.MRJRacing.com.au - - www.feralbatteries.com.au - - www.actionrc.com.au -

Last edited by wollow86; 02-24-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added extra image
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Atsushi Hara could RC a roller skate and till beat most club racers.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks more competitive than a Losi Street Weapon, which when you think about it was a converted offroad buggy, and that won a World Championship. I think a current drifter done up well would be just as competitive as some previous generation TCs. i.e. competitive enough for you to win at club level if you're good enough, and have fun racing if you're not at that standard.
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #7

The recommended set up for drifting is to set the suspension soft at the front and stiff at the rear of the car. Stiffen the rear shocks by using thicker oil in the damper and smaller piston holes. For the front suspension, use thin oil and large piston holes. Set up the suspension so that the rear of the car has more travel -- this pushes more weight over the front wheels giving them more grip when the throttle is released. This also helps to maintain a skid even when there is no power at the rear wheels.
benlinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

As if a high spur will effect cg enough to matter. Spur and hardware very light. With a layout
Like the tcfd and shorty pack, you should be able to race quite well. Just swap the solid axle to he front and buy a tcx differential. Bam. Your racing.
Im actually
Tempted to pick up a front engines drifter just to try on the track. Not a $500 one though.

Ps. Three belts doesnt really Mean anything. I ran an e4 last year and was able to beat a whole hell of a lot of people running newer, more expensive cars. Its ALL in setup and driving style. Not saying im super good. The guys beating me still beat me with my new serpents but they twenty years experienced to my two years lol.
Hardware only gets you so far so run what you brung!
My stuff
Sanwa M12 - Xray T4/16 - Xray Nt1/16 - CRC XTI-WC - ProAMPS - Hobbywing - ReVTECH - ORCA
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote