R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #106
Tech Addict
Send a message via AIM to greencactus3

exactly. so people who like having the BEST packs can race against their own while people who use old packs or cheaper packs or both, like me, can still have a shot
greencactus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #107
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Yeah, ok. But who's going to inspect everyone's batteries? Is someone going to tech every single race? Think about the logistics. It's really not practical; where do you draw the line? Do you think the pros can even tell a difference between a 1.169 pack and a 1.171 pack? No, they can't. Besides that, the latest batch of 3300's is killer and there are far more 1.18's than 1.17's these days (for many matchers), so it's not like people can't get the best packs.

This discussion is WAY off-topic. This would fit better in the thread "ROAR and it's problems" in the ROAR forum.

As for rubber vs. foam...

I like them both. I started racing with rubber tires, but now race mostly foam. Each has its advantages. It comes down to personal preference; no one can tell you what you should like to race with.
USVTA Member #211
Yokomo BD7 (Mod TC), Corally Phi '07 (VTA)

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!

Last edited by Brian McGreevy; 05-01-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #108
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I understand its a personal preference, but the problem I am having is who makes the decision to run a type of tire at a track? I go to my local track and everyone is running foams. I really don't have a choice. The only thing they sell is the foam tire everyone runs. I would have to order rubber tires or buy them at a different shop. Then I'm the "wierd rubber guy".

Being fairly new to this, it gets frustrating when I see racers buying a new set of tires with their race fees. The foams "chunk" and oh well, time for a new set. It seems to me that a rubber tire lasts longer. I've had foams chunk, "dry out" or just wear out. I've been able to run rubber tires for months. I just don't get who chose foams on outdoor asphalt and why its the only thing to run?

I'm going to try rubber tires damnit!
Toma2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Good for you
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:44 PM   #110
Tech Rookie

I have to admit im not that good at racing and staying off the walls, and switching from rubber, which i run now, to foams will not make much of a difference.Ive tried foams befor and i found it really hard to find a good set-up when the tracks are changing every race and having to constantly adjust for the wear. I run 4-cell sedan and the speeds aren't high enough for it to make a considerable difference.
I will continue running rubber.
JamieD is offline   Reply With Quote