R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TL01 setup tips (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/707061-tl01-setup-tips.html)

ninjlao 02-21-2013 11:08 AM

TL01 setup tips

OK so Im trying to setup a TL01 for my local track. Now I know most people are going to tell me to get rid of it and start racing some other chassis because its outdated, COG is too high, etc, etc.

I have fun doing as much as I can with what I have so I just want some info from you experts out there.

I currently have a TL01 with speed tuned gears, oil shocks, carbon shaft.

I am running a Novak Cyclone ESC and Im running some kind of modified motor.

Here are a few questions I have.

1. What motor am I running? It does not say how many turn on the motor itself, but if anyone knows which brushed motor I have that would help me out a good amount. I have a a few other chassis and Im running a 15turn brushed and my tl01 is definitely quicker than those. I am assuming its lower turn than those.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psa3e75efe.jpg

2. With this current setup Im running a 19T pinion, For some reason my battery gets ridiculously hot. To the point where the shrink wrap on my battery pack has ripped and Im afraid the battery itself will melt my plastic chassis. Someone told me that I should run a higher gear on it.... like a 21 or 23T pinion because the motor is just draining my battery. I was always under the impression that if you go with a lower turn motor, I should gear it lower. Seeing as though the 19t is the lowest I can go on this chassis I am pretty much screwed.

But here is some info I was able to get searching online. I am running the speed-tuned gear

Pinion Gear..... Normal Ratio...... Speed-tuned Ratio
19T ................. 7.96 ................. 5.95
21T ................. 7.20 ................. 5.39
23T ................. 6.57 ................. 4.92

Also I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience but I have an HV servo on there and also a Cheap Spektra 2.4 GHz radio and reciever. I do also have a capacitor on there, but for some reason it seems like my car lags a little bit. When I full throttle it takes a second before it really takes off. I want to know if this is lag in my electronics... or if it is some kind of mechanical lag.

Im sorry for all the questions just seeking help tis all.

Thanks!

irockflipflops 02-21-2013 11:41 AM

Copy and paste your post here, as your questions have already been answered...besides which motor you have...which no one can figure out unless you count the winds and turns yourself;)

Most tracks are going brushless, and I see you want to get the 2.4ghz radio system, but you might as well go brushless first to keep up with the pack. And besides, you will probably be the only person running a crystal based system anyway so you won't have to worry about swapping frequencies!

Metalsoft 02-21-2013 11:50 AM

Motor is burnt if it is getting your battery that hot, a brush is most likely hanging on it and causing the drag with in turn is drawings some incredible amps.

Just put down about $100 and get a Novak Club racing 17.5T brushless system before you kill your battery.

ninjlao 02-21-2013 12:20 PM

Its so hard to find info on brushless setups. I know its all over this forum but then there are too many things going on.

Im sure I have to purchase it to understand it fully.

But 17.5 turn brushless is considerably quicker than a 15turn brushed correct? the reason I ask is because the 15turn brushed is very slow when it comes to speed. Also does it have a much longer run time per battery pack?

rcduder 02-21-2013 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ninjlao (Post 11844962)
Its so hard to find info on brushless setups. I know its all over this forum but then there are too many things going on.

Im sure I have to purchase it to understand it fully.

But 17.5 turn brushless is considerably quicker than a 15turn brushed correct? the reason I ask is because the 15turn brushed is very slow when it comes to speed. Also does it have a much longer run time per battery pack?

no a 17.5 brushless motor is said to be equivalent to a 27 turn brushed motor (meant for stock class racing), but brushless motors need less maintenance and run more efficient then brushed motors, usually they are a little faster too that's why you see everyone running them these days. and yes usually you should get longer run times out of your battery with a brushless system, not a hole lot longer but definitely not shorter. And for info on certain brushless systems there are a lot of threads on here for pretty much all different brands of esc's and motors so it wouldn't be too hard to ask for help in one of those threads for whatever system you do decide to go with. a 15 turn brushed motor is considered a mod motor, but if its really slow then it seems that it is most likely old and brushes and bearings should be replaced and all that stuff, but if it is not an aftermarket mod motor then most likely it is a closed end-bell which means your pretty much out of luck. i highly recommend going brushless before anything you wont be disappointed ;) also check your end-bell timing and mess with gearing that could also be putting a lot of stress on the battery pack and your esc and motor

ninjlao 02-24-2013 01:12 PM

I appreciate the info. Do you happen to know what the pinion setup you would run on the tlo1 with the speed tuned gears would be?

Sean B. 02-24-2013 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by rcduder (Post 11845075)
no a 17.5 brushless motor is said to be equivalent to a 27 turn brushed motor (meant for stock class racing)

Which is crazy. Today's 17.5 are much faster than old 27 turns. I would equate them more to a 19 turn brushed. 21.5 should be "stock", IMO

ninjlao 02-25-2013 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B. (Post 11856260)
Which is crazy. Today's 17.5 are much faster than old 27 turns. I would equate them more to a 19 turn brushed. 21.5 should be "stock", IMO

yeah thats what I thought because when I was out at the track over the weekend people were all telling me that they are running a 17.5 turn motor, and their cars are ridiculously quick.

Unless something is seriously wrong with all my 15turn brushed motors, it doesnt make much sense. I also found out that my Epic motor is a 11.5 turn motor, and it barely keeps up with the 17.5 brushless guys.

SteveM 02-25-2013 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ninjlao (Post 11859731)
yeah thats what I thought because when I was out at the track over the weekend people were all telling me that they are running a 17.5 turn motor, and their cars are ridiculously quick.

Unless something is seriously wrong with all my 15turn brushed motors, it doesnt make much sense. I also found out that my Epic motor is a 11.5 turn motor, and it barely keeps up with the 17.5 brushless guys.

Brushed mod motors require careful maintenance. When was the last time you replaced the brushes and trued the comm?

ninjlao 02-25-2013 09:50 AM

well on the 11.5 turn I have this eraser thing that I stick in there to polish the comm. Other than that the brushes are pretty worn out I think.
The 15turn motors are brand new out of the box.

SteveM 02-25-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ninjlao (Post 11859966)
well on the 11.5 turn I have this eraser thing that I stick in there to polish the comm. Other than that the brushes are pretty worn out I think.
The 15turn motors are brand new out of the box.

Those eraser gizmos aren't good enough and you really need to have someone true the comm for you. That and a new set of brushes and a check of the motor bearings should revive the motor.

Here is a nice web site with advice and pictures to help you out.

http://www.petitrc.com/Tech/RCCA_Dia...StockMotor.htm

or

http://www.louthrccarclub.co.uk/elecmotors.htm