Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TC5 leaks shock oil >

TC5 leaks shock oil

TC5 leaks shock oil

Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TC5 leaks shock oil

I have a tc5 that leaks shock oil only when in use. I have tried everything from new seals to a complete rebuild with no luck. Last night i ran a whole battery with no problems, then one the second battery pack it started leaking again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmt3
I have a tc5 that leaks shock oil only when in use. I have tried everything from new seals to a complete rebuild with no luck. Last night i ran a whole battery with no problems, then one the second battery pack it started leaking again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Where is it leaking from? If it's from the top, I would think it's compromised bladder seals/mating surfaces. If it's from the bottom, through the shaft hole, it's probably bad o rings or scratched shock shafts.

Mostly, these shocks leak through the bottom(unless you have a messed up mating surface at the top of the shock or beat threads at the top of the body/cap.

As a first measure, polish the shafts with Mothers metal polish, and replace the o rings. I've always had to use lots of green goo to prevent leaks, but I service my shocks about every 6-8 weeks of use (1 practice day and 1 race day=about 8-10 runs/week) and usually catch any issues before it's actually a mess.

Edit to add: The bottom seal keeper insert may be coming loose in dynamic use, too. Sounds mostly like a bad shaft, though, which is why I say polish it and try again.

Last edited by Buckaroo; 01-24-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Initiate

the leak is from the bottom of the shaft. Only the rear leaks. I tried swapping the front and rear, and again only the rear leak. When disasembling, everything seems to be in the correct positions. Shafts are new, rebuild kit with new washers and inner retainer. I am lost for what the problem is. But, i sincerly appreciate the help.