Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
spintec I.C.C charger >

spintec I.C.C charger

spintec I.C.C charger

Old 08-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

KAAABUMP.....sorry had to bring back the lost thread....

Hey Erik,
I know you are busy......
Is there any more unfortunate delays that were unforseen??????
-Shookie <><
Old 09-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Erik,

Just curious will the ICC have a super linear charge like the MM Cell Masters?
Those seem to give the best charge right now...
Also Thanks again for the stickers...
I am giving them out as I see folks using your stuff...
-Shookie <><
Old 09-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Shookie,

What is the super linear charge and why is it better?

Chris
Old 09-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by crimson eagle
Shookie,

What is the super linear charge and why is it better?

Chris
From what I have been told...It has a much more (pun unintended) persise charge rate...Nexus Racing better explains it...Here is a quote.
Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
I was not going to post in this thread because we are dealers of the Cell Master and I did not want to make it seem as if I were advertising. No one, however has answered the question of why the Cell Master is a better charger.

The main difference between the MuchMore CM and a charger like the ICE is the super linear current offered by the Cell Master. What this means is that the CM has a pure and constant linear current. A charger such as the ICE will have a linear current something like 55-57 out of every 60 seconds.

Well, why doesn't every charger offer this?
Quite simply, a super linear current would usually result in a much hotter pack at the end of charge. The peak sensitivities offered by a charger such as the ICE are not fine enough to stop the charge at the right time...and a NIMH battery would probably explode or at least, get very hot. Comparatively, the ICE's charging style will result in a cooler battery; the battery will still however build heat as the voltage drops off and the battery peaks.
The MuchMore Cell Master has a more sophisticated delta peak detection program. First, it reads voltage to a thousandth of a volt (ex. 9.115 instead of 9.12). Then, it utilizes much finer delta peak settings to peak the battery.

For example, many racers would normally set their delta peak setting to .030v (30mV for the entire pack) on an ICE, Turbo 35, Integy, LRP, etc charger; with the MuchMore CM, however, you set a delta peak value such as .006 (6mV for the entire pack)...considerably lower/more sensitive than .030v.

You can also see the effects of the super linear current as your battery peaks. With a Turbo 35 for instance, it is common to see a battery fluctuate in voltage as it peaks (with a .03v delta peak setting):

9.14-9.13-9.14-9.13-9.14-9.13-9.12-9.13-9.12-9.13-9.12-9.11-peak cut

With a MMR Cell Master, the voltage does not fluctuate as it peaks, even when it is displayed to the thousandth of a volt. This is how you will see the voltage drop (with a .006v delta peak setting):

9.144-9.143-9.142-9.141-9.140-9.139-9.138-peak cut

Essentially, the CM will deal with the extra heat generated by the super linear current by utilizing these fine peak detection settings. Consequently, you get a battery with a lot of punch without having to overcharge it.

OK, so what difference does it make?

Quite simply, a super linear current will generate more power.

When you combine the CM's super linear current with step charging, you get CTX charging. No other charger offers CTX charging. When you step charge with the Cell Master, you gain more run-time and keep your peak power further into the race without sacrificing much power.

Many racers complain about their batteries feeling "flat" when step charging with other chargers...this is because other chargers do not offer the super linear current to account for the loss in power naturally generated by step charging.

So, with the Cell Master, you can program the charger to get the best of both worlds, or, for that matter, anywhere above, in the middle, or in between (or even below, if this is your wish ).

Does all this make a huge difference to the average racer? probably not. Does it make a difference? probably.
Someone made the comment that all the "big guns" at his track had switched to it. In all honesty, it is the "big guns" who are the ones that care about the little things.

In the middle of this year's Reedy Race, Masami Hirosaka switched from his prototype, super-mega, laptop controlled Yokomo charger to the Cell Master. He had no obligations to MuchMore, as he was not racing for them. After one charge with the CM, the prototype got packed away. He most definitly did not switch because the CM had cool functions.
In reality, a lot of us are just like him; we just go for what we think is faster. A rational racer could probably not be able to justify spending an extra $50, $100, or $200 on a charger...I just don't know that many rational racers that race at big events .

I know that there are a few who may disagree with me...I am just simply here to offer an answer to the "what is the difference" question, and I tried my best to give this answer in good faith.
Hope this clarifies it...
I do know that my Cell Masters charge better than any other charger I have used...
-Shookie <><
Old 09-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Shookie,

Do you have any data to show this way of is better? It looks like they have just added a third digit to the readout for voltage and for setting peak.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Bro I know nothing....LOL
I think the reason why they use a 3rd digit is to make the peak detect more accurate and will not over heat your pack but still allow the pack to get fully charged.
I just know my packs get more in and more out...
Than with any other charger I have tried. included is
Orion Advantage
GM Commander
APS Dyno Charge
Integy 16X5
SO really I just let the results tell me it works...
-Shookie <><
Originally Posted by crimson eagle
Shookie,

Do you have any data to show this way of is better? It looks like they have just added a third digit to the readout for voltage and for setting peak.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info Shookie.

Chris
Old 09-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

have there been any advances in this product lately? And i thaught of a charging mode that mayh be helpfull. It starts with the equalising discharge that takes your cells down to the value you set then uses the temp sensors to wait for them to get to the correct temp for charging and then initialises the charging, it would just save the user some time instead of putting his cells on the batman then tray then wait for cololdown then charge.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

That sounds like a good idea, the icc webpage has removed its avaliability date. I hope erik will come by and give us an update on his product.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

maybe he s working on avoiding getting his designed copied/ripped off too quickly...
Old 09-15-2005, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

WHen is it coming out ?!?!?!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Hi guys,
I know, I know... we are slow
All major components are in, circuit boards for a first production batch can be made within 3 weeks after we give order. So we are now running out of excuses to delay it again... But we are still not happy with a few details. Thing is that we have to think way ahead, because firmware will be upgradeable. The electronics have to be prepared for all the plans we might have in the future. We can not come out with a new version soon and say 'sorry we do not update that version anymore'.

The best guess I can make is that first small batch will be available around November, with full production following in December/January. But don't hang me on this one

John_S, that's really a good idea, I'm sure a future update will have that function. Minor downside is that it is difficult to predict how long it takes for a pack to cool down, so you do not know exactly when the packs starts charging and is ready for racing. And most racers know it is crucial to race your packs fresh of the charger.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

just hope you don't get to carried away with all bells and whistles.The individual cell charging seems great to me.But when I go to a race I haven't time to tie up a charger for discharging and equallizing.Need the icc to be fairly price everyone where I race needs at least 2chargers to keep up charging
Old 09-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lance
just hope you don't get to carried away with all bells and whistles.The individual cell charging seems great to me.But when I go to a race I haven't time to tie up a charger for discharging and equallizing.Need the icc to be fairly price everyone where I race needs at least 2chargers to keep up charging

Yeah,I too need 2 chargers to keep up the charging needs.And I just sold away my trusty millienium charger to a newbie and I'm now down on 1 charger.And I believe the ICC is going to be my next charger!

PS. I know it's jam pack full of features cause its such a great innovation and idea but could Spintec please keep the price range to the 'normal' range.... Best not in the price range of futaba CDR5000,Com electronics GFX range....
Old 09-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

the icc will definately be my next charger. but i am certainly looking for a polished product. (Waiting since like Janurary...) That being said, totally agree with Ben C., I hope erik would continue to be nice (i know he's had several delays on the icc, must be frustrating)... and give us an "affordable" charger. I believe the concept of the ICC is very solid and if it does what it says it will do... then this will be the next biggest thing.

I am more worried about avaliability... if its out and i can't have it.... its just as bad...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.