spintec I.C.C charger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spintec I.C.C charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

I only have the 1.05b and indeed... the charger always seems to peak using temp settings... can i ask a favor? (i am away from my charger for the next half a year )

get some crap cells, maybe some old gp330s, turn the temp peak to 60 degrees celcius, and set the mV peak detection to like 1mV/cell and see will it actually cuttoff using the delta peak mV detection method.

What is the amperage you are charging at? I am just curious... have you tried other power supplies to run the icc?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was just on the Spintec site and they have a new update just released today. Maybe that will fix the problems? I have never had my unit cutoff by temp using v1.06. It always drops back the voltage and shuts the cell down.

v1.06c - 23/01/2007
- auto-repeak function enable/disable
- automatic discharge before charge setting
- smaller adjustment steps for current, deltapeak and starttimer
- starttimer now does system check before timerstart
- more accurate temp readings at higher temps
- timer added for motor check function
- bug fix when in 4 cell Fahrenheit mode
- 5 cell option added (note: this also requires hardware update kit for
hardwareversions 1.4 and lower!)
Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
I only have the 1.05b and indeed... the charger always seems to peak using temp settings... can i ask a favor? (i am away from my charger for the next half a year )

get some crap cells, maybe some old gp330s, turn the temp peak to 60 degrees celcius, and set the mV peak detection to like 1mV/cell and see will it actually cuttoff using the delta peak mV detection method.

What is the amperage you are charging at? I am just curious... have you tried other power supplies to run the icc?
I've had the same problem with 1.06. If the "minimum temp" is set too high or the cells don't make good contact with the sensors you'll have this problem. What happens is that the cells peak before reaching 35C (default for 4200's in 1.06). After the cells peak they won't drop back enough to "peak". If they can't peak, they'll run until they hit the high temp limit.

I ended up using the "user defined" setup that defaults to 31.5C. I only got 4cell packs to peak after I made this change. I wish this feature could be turned down more or even turned off.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Interesting, so I am going to see if i can re-word your post so you can see if I getting this:

The cells are peaking before they hit the min. lockout temp, and that's why they will charge until the max temp cuttoff?

Thanks, that does help and makes a lot of sense!

See if 1.06c will do the trick for temperature...! I cannot wait to hear the feedback... its been 4 months since their last update!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Interesting, so I am going to see if i can re-word your post so you can see if I getting this:

The cells are peaking before they hit the min. lockout temp, and that's why they will charge until the max temp cuttoff?

Thanks, that does help and makes a lot of sense!

See if 1.06c will do the trick for temperature...! I cannot wait to hear the feedback... its been 4 months since their last update!
Just tried a couple of packs of cells left everything default except for the cutoff temp 41C and the delta, 3mV, and the auto re-peak which I turned off

Still seemed to only finish when max temp was reached, although the cells did seem to go up in temp quicker than they used to (better calibration of temp sensors?)

Skiddins
Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Is this ICC use temp peak instead of delta peak ?
I heard temp peak is not accurate and totally bogus ..... Why they use this method ?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Temp peaking is more of a safety feature than anything i think, I would not go as far as considering temp peak detection as bogus, but it is very hard to get accurate readings, ... a couple millimeters can make differences.

What I am cuirous about is... has anyone actually tried setting voltage peak detection to 1mV, and max. temp to like 60 degrees celcius, to see if the ICC can accurately do voltage peak detection?

I have not heard or seen anyone on this forum tell me their cells stopped charging due to voltage peak detection!

Its good to hear the temp rises faster! Because my cells would be like 60 degrees (temp. gun) and then the ICC says they are 43 in version 1.05b!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

I have not heard or seen anyone on this forum tell me their cells stopped charging due to voltage peak detection!
Really ?? Then how it reach full stop ? With temp. peak detection ?

I think temp detection will treat your cells bad, since it's not an accurate measurement.... I just read about it in STRAIGHT Ltd charger web ... the outside and inside of the battery have diff. temp, unless your temp. sensor on ICC is as accurate as your temp. gun (laser type).
Old 01-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

If I set mine to 1mV than some cells will peak very early.
I moslty use 2mV to 3mV and cutt off temp. around 48C.
Most of the time all cells will peak at voltage, some times the last cell won't but that's no problem for me.

Rob.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rob Janssen
If I set mine to 1mV than some cells will peak very early.
I moslty use 2mV to 3mV and cutt off temp. around 48C.
Most of the time all cells will peak at voltage, some times the last cell won't but that's no problem for me.

Rob.
48C

On mine I set it to stop at 41-42C, once charged the cells still carry on getting warmer until they reach at least 50C normally.
What temps can IB4200's really take without dying?

Skiddins
Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Tech Regular

SMC recommends to peak at around 60C but I don't like to go over about 50.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

got one more question... a more theoretical one... what does it mean to have a 0mV cutoff? is it possible? (i recall seeing it once before on the charger when trying to set the peak detection on the icc,but i have never used 0mV)

to my feeble understanding, the charger is suppose to detect the drop from the peak voltage that occurs once a cell is "full", so in with this understanding in mind... i don't know what 0mV means...

how can the charger tell the cell is full if the voltage hasn't dropped yet?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

0mv is just another way of saying that the charger will shut off as soon as it detects a drop in voltage. It's really not used that much because it's easy to fasle peak at 0mv.

I've run as low as .5mv without a problem.

FB
Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Temp peaking is more of a safety feature than anything i think, I would not go as far as considering temp peak detection as bogus, but it is very hard to get accurate readings, ... a couple millimeters can make differences.

What I am cuirous about is... has anyone actually tried setting voltage peak detection to 1mV, and max. temp to like 60 degrees celcius, to see if the ICC can accurately do voltage peak detection?

Its good to hear the temp rises faster! Because my cells would be like 60 degrees (temp. gun) and then the ICC says they are 43 in version 1.05b!
I said a few posts ago that mine always shuts down by the voltage drop back. I have adjusted the 4200 settings a little with the mV and the temps, I can't remember them off hand, but I changed the mV until I was happy with the temp the cells reached with my temp gun. I use the temp on the unit itself as a safety, what most use it for I believe, and I have only had cells shut off using that before I installed the 1.06 software. Since putting in that version I haven't had any problems except the F and C deal and then some cells repeaking and slowing down my charging time. Other than that not one problem. I do need to install 1.06c before I go racing next time.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

vwal,

sorry i missed that, i personally had never had cells peak (with 1.05) due to the voltage drop. maybe it was my settings, because my cells would even vent before the charger would stop. its great to know that the mV settings work on the icc and just it is probably my fault for not setting it properly!

totally agree the max. temp setting is mainly a safety feature.

tell us more online here when u install 1.06c and charge afew packs with it... i want to see how the smaller increments are, if the new temp calibrations are more accurate... and by how much are they in disagreement with the temp guns out in the market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.